Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Issues On E12

rents1977

My passenger side rear caliper was not functioning, I put the car in for repair, it worked ok for a couple of days then stopped working again.

I put the car back in and was told the caliper was seizing and the rear pair had been replaced, along with the calipers I got a new set of rear disks and pads. All a warranty job.

That was 5 weeks ago today.

2 weeks ago when driving along a country road the car started vibrating up and down really noticeably ( enough to worry my fiance in the passenger seat ) Immediate thought was to check for a puncture. Pulled over, applied the handbrake checked everything. No sign of what it was so pull off - problem gone.

Friday past the same thing happened on the outside lane of adual carriage way during rush hour. It took a bit longer to get a chance to pull over, and I could smell hot metal. I checked handbrake lever was fully released etc, it was. Anyway. Pulled over eventually, smell of hot brakes, but again when pulled away problem was gone.

Talking about a stop of a minute or so.

Car in Mr Ts custody today, they've said the disks have a blue spot, and they need to replace disks and shoes. Disks are covered by warranty but shoes aren't so I need to pay for them. Said the only thing could think of to cause it was faulty disks. They are warped, and they've had other faulty ones.

As an aside the shoes aren't the most expensive item, but I do begrudge paying for them if the wear on them was caused by faulty disks!

Anyway, do any of you guys who are experienced with the E12 think this is a reasonable explanation of the cause of the problem?

I'm looking to the future here as I don't want to experience it again!! It seems to me more likely that the handbrake cable was sticking than warped disks?

On Thursday I'd driven 180 miles with no issues. On Friday a couple of miles into a journey it happened. The first time it happened it was within a couple of miles of setting off too.

If it was warped disks I'd have expected the 180 mile trip to cause the disks to be flaming hot!!

No problems here - however you should try giving Toyota Complaints a call :yes:

Although it's like getting blood from a stone - they might give you a discount as it was cause by a faulty product

Has to be worth a try :thumbsup: !

No probs here. but

Discs are never warped from the factory - Full stop.

they only ever become warped when they get overheated un-uniformly. I reckon that the guide pins on the caliper are binding causing that particular side to not release properly. that casues the pad to rub against the disc which causes the heat, warping and vibration.

Tell them to EFF OFF if they charge you for the pads as its clearly a manufacturing or assembly fault with the rear brake assembly.

The toyota rear brake system is the same as they use in vauxhalls, the handbrake is within a drum in the centre of the disc. Most other manufacturers just have the handbrake cable hooked up the caliper which produces a much cacker handbrake but a less complex mechanism.

nrgizerbunny - thanks a heap for this post - I was getting confused as to why I would have shoes as well as disks and pads! I thought they were using the words 'pads' and 'shoes' interchangeably, but obviously not. So the disk is acting as both a disk and drum at the same time - makes sense now.

If the shoes are worn out it would appear to be handbrake related to me?

Anyway I've the car back now, it has the new disks etc all fitted, and fingers crossed that'll be the end of it.

I asked the service desk if there was anything I could do to prevent it happening again, and was told not really, it was just one of those things...

Car isn't new - should have said it is three and a bit / 31k miles old. I've only done 4000 miles since I got the car - from the day it was MOT'd for me to collect it until now it has had new ABS sensors, new rear disks twice, new rear pads, new rear calipers and new rear shoes :ffs:

Some of this is undoubtedly due to the brakes seizing whilst sitting in the car lot for a length of time before I bought it.

My main concern is that it doesn't happen again! Today I've been compulsively checking my handbrake is fully released about every 5 minutes which is a habit I want to lose...

nrgizerbunny - thanks a heap for this post - I was getting confused as to why I would have shoes as well as disks and pads! I thought they were using the words 'pads' and 'shoes' interchangeably, but obviously not. So the disk is acting as both a disk and drum at the same time - makes sense now.

If the shoes are worn out it would appear to be handbrake related to me?

Anyway I've the car back now, it has the new disks etc all fitted, and fingers crossed that'll be the end of it.

I asked the service desk if there was anything I could do to prevent it happening again, and was told not really, it was just one of those things...

Car isn't new - should have said it is three and a bit / 31k miles old. I've only done 4000 miles since I got the car - from the day it was MOT'd for me to collect it until now it has had new ABS sensors, new rear disks twice, new rear pads, new rear calipers and new rear shoes :ffs:

Some of this is undoubtedly due to the brakes seizing whilst sitting in the car lot for a length of time before I bought it.

My main concern is that it doesn't happen again! Today I've been compulsively checking my handbrake is fully released about every 5 minutes which is a habit I want to lose...

This happened my T Sport after a handbrake adjustment, but I had it re-adjusted and the disks/pads didn't get damaged and the problem never came back again...

K12NE G, the handbrake adjustment is automatic? unless you've got so much slack in one side that you use up all the travel in the equaliser plate.

Rents, having thought about this a bit more, I think the shoes were binding causing the disc to warp from the inside, although when driving you would seriously notice the bind as the handbrake on toyotas is pretty good.

sanj

K12NE G, the handbrake adjustment is automatic? unless you've got so much slack in one side that you use up all the travel in the equaliser plate.

Rents, having thought about this a bit more, I think the shoes were binding causing the disc to warp from the inside, although when driving you would seriously notice the bind as the handbrake on toyotas is pretty good.

sanj

Not exactly what I'm talking about - I adjusted the lever as I didn't like the way it lifted so many notches when engaging it. Thing is after adjustment it must have taken all the slack of the cables and caused it to lock up! :!Removed!: :lol: So, was your handbrake lever adjusted recently?????

Yeah, the handbrake changed when I got the new calipers and disks. Before the lever would come up 3 or 4 nothces, and after 2, or 3 at a push.

I still don't get how a 180 mile trip was fault free, and a 2 mile trip caused the car to start bouncing... I would have thought I would have noticed the pull like nrgizerbunny said. But it wasn't like I was having to do extra revs at the same speed.

I can only assume that on those two occasions the car was bouncing that handbrake did not release fully, causing minimal contact between shoes and drum part of disk?

Fingers crossed it is fixed, and was 'just one of those things' like the garage said.

Thanks for the posts though guys. I've learned a lot from this forum already...

Yeah, the handbrake changed when I got the new calipers and disks. Before the lever would come up 3 or 4 nothces, and after 2, or 3 at a push.

I still don't get how a 180 mile trip was fault free, and a 2 mile trip caused the car to start bouncing... I would have thought I would have noticed the pull like nrgizerbunny said. But it wasn't like I was having to do extra revs at the same speed.

I can only assume that on those two occasions the car was bouncing that handbrake did not release fully, causing minimal contact between shoes and drum part of disk?

Fingers crossed it is fixed, and was 'just one of those things' like the garage said.

Thanks for the posts though guys. I've learned a lot from this forum already...

That's how it happened to me! Went on a long-ish trip, parked up, then when I set off again, a mile outside town the car started vibrating wildly from the rear passenger side, so has to be handbrake lever related...

I think Toyota should take seriously this brake issue, since it starts happenning in many E12 Corollas. The braking is activated randomly, not necessarily on both of the two rear wheels, and can become very dangerous on twisty roads.

I had a similar experience long time ago

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...p;hl=vibrations

Since that time, I realized that this is a rather usual issue, e.g. I have seen several similar reports in a Greek corolla-club forum.

I feel that it is impossible for the mechanics (in the 1st service) to adjust the handbrake to the specified 25% braking performance, without to have the random rear braking problem.

This might be a serious safety issue for a recall.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Toyota should take seriously this brake issue, since it starts happenning in many E12 Corollas. The braking is activated randomly, not necessarily on both of the two rear wheels, and can become very dangerous on twisty roads.

I had a similar experience long time ago

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...p;hl=vibrations

Since that time, I realized that this is a rather usual issue, e.g. I have seen several similar reports in a Greek corolla-club forum.

I feel that it is impossible for the mechanics (in the 1st service) to adjust the handbrake to the specified 25% braking performance, without to have the random rear braking problem.

This might be a serious safety issue for a recall.

Hi. I'm having a very similar problem with the rear brakes / handbrake on my Yaris T Sport. I guess they use the same system. It was fine until Toyota serviced it. The handbrake lever was almost vertical before the service. Afterwards it would be fully on by the first or second click. Although I've since slackened the cable at the handbrake lever, I'm still experiencing a loud rubbing noise from the rear on tight corners, especially after a long journey. Is the solution to slacken off the handbrake shoes using the notched wheel visible through the plugged hole in the drum section of the rear disc? I guess the self adjusters have gone out as far as they can after the garage over did the cable adjustment. Oddbod.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links