Do Not Sell My Personal Information

De-cat Question...

I did mine myself, you need to get the fire rings, and some fire gum, plus gas comes in handy to lubricate the bolts (get some spares) and some patience aswell a the right ratchet set, 4 bolts and your done....

Remember if your isnt an early 2, chances are you'll need to put it back on for MOT....

Unless it's a turbo, where a loophole in the test (no equivilent engine type in MOT lists to test - MR2 Turbo wasn't available here. When in the test, keep stum about the GT4 Turbo which is listed and has same engine as MR2 Turbo, but tester is unlikely to know that.) means that cars can be up to around 1993 without a cat - can't remember the exact date....

yu should be fine for an MOT with de-cat then, if not it's an easy job to pop it in for the test and then whip it out afterwards

turbos can be up to july '95 before they require a cat.

Is '94 a rev3? or when did rev 3 actually start? That would give a chance to locate the perfect import to de-cat :D

found somewhere that will de-cat my car... the first place refused to for some reason... ??!?

The only bad thing is that I have to have it in all day, also he didn't know how much it would cost. He said it would depend if he has to strip the whole thing down or not...

will get it done as I think my cat has died... either that or the sensor is <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ed :blink:

where are you in the country I can do it myslef in 2 hours at worst case scenario....

call iut evens at a pint

Actually, you may not need to replace it for an MoT.. as an emissions test should be carried out when the engine is warm, and the pre-cats are there to reduce emissions when the engine is cold...

Of course, this is no guarantee's it will pass on emissions... just my 2 cents...

where are you in the country I can do it myslef in 2 hours at worst case scenario....

call iut evens at a pint

I live very close to livingston mate.... miles away from you..

but if you want to come up and do it, I'll buy you a pint ! :D

I just tried two other garages close to me and they wouldn't touch it either... :angry:

not all are easy to remove which is why some garages won't touch them. when i had mine done it took them about 6 hours to get it all off, but they kept to the price quoted :)

if your exhaust has never been removed and the bolts are original it can be a !Removed! of a job, top bolts are fine to get a socket extension to but if the heads have rusted and you can't grip them then its hell! i cut the lower 2 off with an angle grinder the top left one a could get a drill too so drilled out and the forth..well i'm still doing it i started the simple cat swap five days ago now, car is a slug with a blowing pipe as well :( can't even get a hacksaw to the last one, i'm thinking of wacking the current on the MIG up and burning it off..

nah.. I have an aftermarket exhaust.. so something has been done to the bugger in the past.

question.. could I buy a second hand cat and get a garage to fit it ? Would this be cheaper than de-catting and or getting a new one fitted...

I have found a second hand one from a breakers or somewhere like that quite cheap... (£10)

It would be cheaper than getting a new one of course but the question is what are you actually looking to do?

The catalytic convertor is a restriction to the exhaust system. Essentially it looks like a polystyrene honeycomb structure.

I removed my cat. It took me a good days job to do. The hardest part were the bolts/nuts that were on the turbo outlet. There are 7 of them and by ***** they were tough to get off.

Also tough was taking the actual cat out once all the bolts were off (including the 3 attached to the b-pipe on the exhaust). Its fidgetty and requires lots of pulling and manuevering.

The cat was being replaced by an Aussie downpipe. This made a very good/marked improvement to performance.

If you want to decat there is a cheap option.....

Remove the 3 bolts that attache the b-pipe to the cat. This is under the car by the way. Now you should pull the b-pipe out of the way so you can look up into the cat. You will see the honeycomb structure. Get a screwdriver or the like and start poking the structure so it starts breaking. This takes a while but you should be able to break the honeycomb apart and have bits fall out. Thus you are left with no actual cat.

Reconnect the b-pipe. Voila you have gutted your cat.

HTH

Does all this apply to a 1990 NA, too? This thread seems to be turbo focussed

And what are the MOT requirements for a 1990 NA?

I found a place near me called Calder Racing Development who are going to decat it for me. Phoning them back on Monday to get a price.

You should see this place... all Jap mad cars ! It looks like something out of Fast and the Furious. Some of the cars are well mad looking.

Anyway, at least I know that they'll know what they're doing. Also I have to wait 3 months before I can get in for the bodyshop there... they are well booked up !

At least I know where to take the motor if I want stuff done now... They had a nice Supra also... mmmmm

I found a place near me called Calder Racing Development who are going to decat it for me. Phoning them back on Monday to get a price.

You should see this place... all Jap mad cars ! It looks like something out of Fast and the Furious. Some of the cars are well mad looking.

Anyway, at least I know that they'll know what they're doing. Also I have to wait 3 months before I can get in for the bodyshop there... they are well booked up !

At least I know where to take the motor if I want stuff done now... They had a nice Supra also... mmmmm

That wouldnt be Calder Motor Company would it, the one I told you about in the other thread.

Ablsolutley mad place, pure Fast and the Furious

yeah it is mate... some of the cars there are pure mental !!

Obviously people with loads of money... may try to sneak along and take some photos at some point to show you all.

yeah it is mate... some of the cars there are pure mental !!

Obviously people with loads of money... may try to sneak along and take some photos at some point to show you all.

How much to get it de-catted

• 2 weeks later...

They quoted me roughly £250 for the decat pipe + fitting.

Now over at fensport I noticed a Blitz Decat pipe for £230.

This is for turbo models ( which I have ), just curious if it is for all... ie rev1,rev 2 etc.

If it would be suitable I would prob just get that and then pay for CRD to fit it for me.

What does decatting actually do ? I've been recommended to get it done. I think my cat is dead ( warning light always on ).

I've heard it makes it louder and better performance somehow ? Any clarification on this would be great.

cheears !