Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S.o.s For Avensis

jonvagis

i have a avensis and i want to put a good air filter.

i am in u.s.a right now and the only car here is "avalon".

is the same?

which is the air filter type for avensis 1.6 vvti 2000model

Helllo !!! I have just installed in my Avensis '01 1.6l vvti my new air filter!!It is an [[GREEN FILTER]]. The size for the filter is 313mm length and 148 width with curved edges, not straight corners!!! Here in greece it costs 62 euro.

I like them in silver. Any pictures of the filter installation?

Fancy putting one in myself. Did it make any difference?

I'll post one soon. About the difference, I also installed 4 Denso platinum spark plugs. Both of them make a hell of a difference. Up to now, an Opel Vectra 1.6, an Astra 1.4 16v and a normal Avensis are the losers of three street drags!!!!Yeah!!! If you can listen carefully to your car's engine, you will notice a small increase of intake sound as you hit the gas!!! The engine rev's up faster than before. Even a new MR2 1.8vvti could not keep up for a long time in traffic with speeds slightly over 140-150 km/h. You can sense that now the engine reveals its full power when you pass the vvti point of it!!! I suggest to all Avensis owners these "gagdets"!!! If you know Avensis' engine has for each spark plug different multiplier (dont know the exact word in english). So, with these sparks the engine takes full advantage of the electrical power it produces for the cylinders, because they give better spark !!!!!! [A MUST FIT!!!!!!!] DENSO SERIAL NUMBER = K20PR-ZU11 3163

Mines a lean burn so i'm running platinum tipped plugs anyway. Was thinking of a superchip as well at some stage in time. But wanted to get other peoples opinions first. Cause i'm not sure on what effect it would have.

Also i'm and electrical engineer, and as other people will say - electrical engineers are tight, so I don't want to spend too much money either!!! :lol:

:thumbsup:

That's the filter!!! Also, please notice this : after the filter element, there is a "blind" chamber which is used for reducing the air's speed in order to reduce engine's intake noise. Because the car is running under garranty yet, i can't extract, so what did i do ??I Had It SEALED!!! In the following pictures you can easily spot it, it's that ugly black thing which really seems that has no business there!! Also pay attention please that the filter's corners are not curved but straight, 'cause this might cause problems at the installation.

post-4-1061145570.jpg

That's the Filter again. Let me ask you something : What do you mean by "lean burn"? Maybe unleaded petrol?? That's my type of engine too, 3ZZ-FE 1.6 vvti

That's the filter again. Let me ask you this mate : What do you mean by "lean burn"? Maybe unleaded fuel?? That's my type of engine, for unleaded fuel 3ZZ-FE, 1.6l 16v vvti

post-4-1061146103.jpg

That's the exact spot where i hav sealed that ugly mother :censor: .....And guess what : A sporty sound has made its appearance at high rpm!!! In Greece these things are called "anti-speakers" (antihia). Do you know their english name?

post-4-1061146433.jpg

Sorry pal,

Lean burn engines run with a lower fuel to air ratio than a normal engine so tend to be a little lower powered. This is the 1.8 engine that was put in the 98-00 Avensis and the Carina E. When you accelerate, the lean burn function switches out. But these engines still run a little leaner than normal. That's why it's only 110bhp.

:thumbsup:

after the filter element, there is a "blind" chamber which is used for reducing the air's speed in order to reduce engine's intake noise.I Had It SEALED!!!

So... what happens if you remove it. The blind box?

Is it just for noise reduction? Not other purpose?

Cheers!!!

Coyote from BA

Argentina

Of course not!! Now the air travels through without any obstacles or blind chambers, which has as a result the increase in its speed as it goes through the throttle and inside the cylinder.And what's the point of it all? BHP INCREASE!!!!The faster the air travels,the more the engine is free to "intake",the more free it is to rev up faster!!!!

Ok, it makes sense...

I tried removing it and sealing where the box was installed. I can tell that a little increase of BHP I could feel, but the most significant thing is that the turbo started to sound higher. Well I have to admit, I love the turbo sound while I'm driving :drool: , so let me see what else I can do to reduce the resistance and let the turbo sing.

I have a question, what happens if I replace the air filter and it box and I install a better one in case of rain? The original box has a special piping and other staff to avoid water getting inside the engine, but how do I prevent it using a conic air filter??? Are those water-proof?

Thanks!

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

Well, on the back of the air filter box there is a sensor that tracks the air intake temperaure

and gives this info to the car's CPU, in order to adjust the air/fuel ratio accordingly to the enviroment's temp. This sensor is very important and you can't just ignore him!! :ffs: So, if planning to put a cone filter you must find a spot where this sensor can be put and do his job!! Personally, I own also a Starlet EP82 and have put an aluminium tube with a cone filter. So I made a hole in the center of the tube and put the sensor there. I remind you this sensor is very important :arrgg-matey: as you may have problems if you reject it. I'll post some photo to see. As for the last question, no they are not Waterproof, but they do hold alot of water. But do not trouble yourself with this, if you do not place the filter too low, you will not have problems.Also you do not want to place too low, because then it will inhale the hot air from the ground, not a good thing at all.I have seen TRD products, cone filters,etc, with proper holes for these sensors.Cheers :D

• 2 years later...

That's the exact spot where i hav sealed that ugly mother :censor: .....And guess what : A sporty sound has made its appearance at high rpm!!! In Greece these things are called "anti-speakers" (antihia). Do you know their english name?

Is this chap right in what he's saying about sealing this box off. I was looking for the MAF sensor yesterday, and saw this box and wondered to myself what the hell it was for? Click on the attachment in POST#12

I would be interested in hearing your opinions.. :thumbsup:

Is this chap right in what he's saying about sealing this box off. I was looking for the MAF sensor yesterday, and saw this box and wondered to myself what the hell it was for? Click on the attachment in POST#12

I would be interested in hearing your opinions.. :thumbsup:

Ha, same here! Looking for the MAF yesterday and thought it was in that box!

Mike.

As far as I can tell it's empty and serves no real purpose other than to maybe reduce the noise level as mentioned above?

What did you note when you took it off?

As far as I can tell it's empty and serves no real purpose other than to maybe reduce the noise level as mentioned above?

What did you note when you took it off?

That it was indeed empty!

Just seemed really pointless, an empty box half way up the air flow pipe.

its a reserve air chamber to hold air if you should suddenly brake and the forced flow from the front air vent is reduced. It allows for the engine to idle without trouble.

its a reserve air chamber to hold air if you should suddenly brake and the forced flow from the front air vent is reduced. It allows for the engine to idle without trouble.

Aha.. so blocking it like the block above is a bad idea, and nothing to do with reducing the noise of the air intake.. ;)