Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Did A Blue Peter Job

yellowchinaman

I took a week off work and wanted to do something practicle.

So I poped to my local B&Q and got my self this.

DSC01389.jpg

And I borrowed some tools and started cutting away.

DSC01390.jpg

Have you guessed it yet?

if its a love doll, beware of the splinters mate. :lol:

Gosh you lot are good! It's better then a love doll. I decided to build a bass box. But I didn't want to settle for a 10" it had to be a twin 12". The plan was to build it so that it didn't take much boot space, and so that I can get to the spare wheel.

So I came up with a template like this.

DSC01391.jpg

Then the box evolved into this.

DSC01393.jpg

Then it carpeted and bolted in the subs and amp and fuse etc...

DSC01395.jpg

The finished product looked like this!

DSC01398.jpg

It still has the staples in to hold the carpet down whilst the glue dries. I'll pull them out later on.

It's a perfect fit so it doesn't move at all. The back is sloped to the same degree as the seats so that the seats actually lock it into place.

DSC01397.jpg

It looks amazing when the boot is closed without the shelf. But I'll only display it on gatherings.

Best of all it sounds fantastic!

:D :D :D

good stuff :thumbsup: looks like a top quality job

jerry!!

Hehehehe:D

I'm driving with a proud face these days. I don't actually like to blast it out but it does feel impressive when cruising at a med volume.

I didn't spend a lot.

Got the Mutant NW280SP amp which is 2X80 watts and Two 12" Sub with 50oz magnet,max power 700watts,rms power 200watts,frequency response 30 hz-800hz, sensitivity 90db.

I wouldn't say it's a competitive system but it is impressive considering I only paid £100 for it. MDF from M&Q was £12 and carpet was £25 from Halfords and other bits and pieces like screws, glue, staple gun etc.. £10 and a proper 8 Gauge amplifier wire kit fot £17.

Nah!.. it's not a proper Blue Peter job i'm afraid.. i mean where's the sticky backed plastic, cornflakes packet and the washing up liquid bottle???

Looks good though.. but the above items would make it truely Blue Peter :thumbsup:

thats impressive that is i like it may have to do one to mine to be honest.

was it hard to do and how long did it take ya

Hmm... I spent about 2 hours a day over 4 days to build it. After I sell my ST202 I think I'll do it again but better when I get my 4 next year.

It was the first time I built one and I'm not exactly a wizz with DIY.

I think the key to this was having a huge saw (in the second picture)that cuts angles. It was so quick and there was no way I could have done it with a normal jig saw.

What I did was take a photo of my boot and printed it off on lazer black and white then sketched all over it.

Then using cardboard make out the base, sides and top. Lay them all flat on a huge MDFand cutting them out.

I really enjoyed building this and I felt like I did something practicle during my time off work.

So I'll definately do it again but better.

My mate wan't me to build him a boot in his Astra now, so I might end up posting some more picture later in future.

Thats some powerfull gear Tom. I see you 've put some neons in it. I ran the power leads along the left and the remote cable and phono along the right to reduce interferience. Have you finished it yet?

yeah then took it back out!! had it on at japfest 2005 !!! went to see my mate and his rx7 about half a mile away and it was still sounding clear!!! . The legacy is awesome with its controller...plus a little toy of the bass controller up front. Really good when chavs pull up near playing hardcore and you can totally make them look daft with a class 80s song booming over the top followed by the middle finger salute as you glide away in a jap car rather than a french piece of poo!!

Your install looks really good tho matey . you still left room in the boot and tastefully done not ott. you thought about maybe replacing the front Speakers? makes a big difference. anyway hopefully will be fitting mine into a new toyota soon and getting back into going to the shows....missed them this past 2 years.,

Look's like a nice job mate, trouble is you wont be getting the best out of the subs, thay need about 2-2.5cf each to run correctly (tunned to about 20hz) still nice job mate. :thumbsup:

I have a set of kickers 6.5 still boxed for the front and back but I really can't be ubikd to rip out the interior and cut more MDF to fit them in. I'm saving them for my four later on.

I know the set isn't running at its fullest potential. To be honest I'm more into looking good. :P

But whilst we're on this topic:

scoobykilla please could you so kindly in a non-intellectually challenging way elaborate on your theory as I am a bit thick.

How do I over come this?

Also for the first time I've noticed I had trouble starting up as it's straining my Battery. Will a power cap resolve this problem?

DSC01399.jpg

did you need to do the sums for the size of ur box? or did u just build it and it sounded gd? ive heard ppl saying that uve got to get it the right size for ur sub type

Yeah the space needed and the amount of foam inside was written on the manual for the subs. I can't remember about the volume but I do remember I needed 50% foam inside. I know I did build the box around 20-30% smaller then recamended to save space but it still sounds good. The only thing now is that I'm not totally sure about my settings on the amp because I know they're not sounding as powerfull as they should be. I think I need to buy something to set the frequency lower or something becasue at high volume the bass isn't so solid.

Yeah the space needed and the amount of foam inside was written on the manual for the subs. I can't remember about the volume but I do remember I needed 50% foam inside. I know I did build the box around 20-30% smaller then recamended to save space but it still sounds good. The only thing now is that I'm not totally sure about my settings on the amp because I know they're not sounding as powerfull as they should be. I think I need to buy something to set the frequency lower or something becasue at high volume the bass isn't so solid.

Subs are tuned to run at an optimum frequency, this is determind by the size of the box and if its ported or sealed, in a sealed (yours i belive) box the air inside the box cannot go anywhere and acts as a damper for the sub as it moves in and out, if the box is to small the sub cannot move in as far as it needs to as the air inside wont allow it to, if its to big there is not enough air in the box so the sub moves to easily and becomes floppy. In your case the sub cannot move enough so loses its punch !!

A power cap would help no end, also if your running a standard batt on the car you would notice an improvment in sound from the subs, as your tunes hit a punchy note the amp tries to give your subs say 100 watts rms (true watts) for arguments sake,,,,,,,,, but as the batt cannot feed the amp the amps it needs the subs may only be getting 85watts rms, fitting a cap solves this as when the note is hit and the amp draws the power the cap gives the extra amps it needs. :thumbsup: