Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica 140 Or 190 - Which Is Better All Round?

SII

Hi Guys

New to the forum.

I'm in the market for a 2001ish Celica.

So, which is better the standard 140 or the quicker 190. I was thinking of the 190 but a friend rekons i won't get the benefit of is so should go with the 140.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Si

how do!

OK I have a corolla but it does apply, the 190 same engine as the CTS is a nice engine, can be driven smoothly and calmly and you'd nver know what is really under the hood, except when you get past 4000 rpm and it starts to come to life (plus its a bit noisy at that point, but a good roary noise :lol: ).

Anyway your main benefit is hitting Lift at 6200 rpm in the 190 then the celica and corolla turn into another car altogether. So your best bet really is to try a test drive in the 140 and 190 see how you feel. On test drive ask if you can give the 190 a bit of a welly so you can hit lift see whether it puts a smile on your face or you kack your pants. Simple as!

Hope that helps, Celica owners will help you further all I can base my opinion on is on the engine. i'm not sure if the setup is different on the celica between the 140 and 190.

Rolley

190 is definatley better. It will just be the same as the 140 if you drive it round town etc, then when you do get out on a nice road you suddenly get the benefit.

I think I've convinced myself on a 190 as my next car :thumbsup:

B)

Hi Guys

New to the forum.

So, which is better the standard 140 or the quicker 190. I was thinking of the 190 but a friend rekons i won't get the benefit of is so should go with the 140.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Si

Hi. Max power on140 is reached at 6400rpm,on 190 it's 7800rpm

likewise max torque is reached at 4200rpm on 140 and 6800rpm on190 so do you wan't to scream the head off,or are you happy at lower revs? B)

as has been said, it all depends on what you want from a car...

IMHO the 190 would be a better buy, more enjoyable, and easier to sell on... but each to their own.

B)

Hi Guys

New to the forum.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Si

Hi. Max power on140 is reached at 6400rpm,on 190 it's 7800rpm

likewise max torque is reached at 4200rpm on 140 and 6800rpm on190 so do you wan't to scream the head off,or are you happy at lower revs? B)

The way I understood it (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the 190 has more or less the same power at 6400 as the 140 but then it carries on, so if you don't want to rev it then stay below 6400rpm and you haven't lost anything but when you do want to go for it - you can!

7800rpm isn't that much anyway - bikes rev to double that :thumbsup:

SII, the gearing is different between the 190 and the 140. The 190 is geared lower which makes it easier to pull away (and generally easier to drive), but also noisier at motorway speeds and generally thirstier. The engine has slightly more torque throughout also (the compression ratio is different). To get the advantage of the valve lift you really need to be screaming along (the nomal Celica engine needs to driven quite hard to get the best from it anyway since the torque curve is quite flat). I can't remember the exact figure, but it is something like 50mph in second before the lift comes in on the 190.

There are problems with the lift bolts on some of the early 190s. Like a lot of Toyotas, the alloys are prone to corrosion as are the discs. The tailgate strut is also a known failure. If you go for a 190, the biggest problem you might have is finding one that hasn't had the gearbox thrashed.