Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oily Sump Underneath My Mr2

ColinC

Back again with another question lads :help:

What do you think of my oil sump:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~phoenixplayers/MR2/oily.htm

Was just going to change the oil for my MR2 and noticed a lot of oil all along the sump on the underside of the car. I've taken a few photos so you can see. The car has never dripped oil or left any traces anywhere. Also, the car has never been bad for white or blue smoke (even on startup, it's very clean with minimal smoke), so I doubt she's burning oil or has any bad issues with valve seals or piston rings. Could it be the sump itself? After running my hand along the oil, I found it slightly sludgy, but some parts seem to be quite fresh, but never clear enough to "drip".

I'm not sure what it could be, so I'd appreciate any advice incase things get worse. I've only driven the car 600 miles or so since I got it, and in that time the oil level has dropped about 1 quarter (based on the dipstick reading) since when I first got the car. I don't know what that is in litres.

Any help of advice appreciated :)

Looks like spill from a service - eg removing the filter...

If you are not having to top up with oil on a regular (weekly) basis, I wouldn't worry about it.

A bit of old engine oil on the sump prevents dreaded rust.

HTH

mine was the same and was due to oil over spill and have been driving it like it for a year and its fine

If you are not having to top up with oil on a regular (weekly) basis, I wouldn't worry about it.

HTH

Well, I may not have to top up every week but it must be losing a little bit, because 600 miles after an oil fill, the reading on the dipstick showed that it was only 65% full or so. SO it must be losing something.. one of the lads on mr2oc said: "the seal on the MR2 sumps is just that squirty rubbish so over time it will perish and start to leak oil out. i took mine to a garage they removed all the old sealer and put all new on.........my car hasnt lost a drip of oil since. £175 it cost me"

Every car is different mate.

You might have a leaky sump gasket, but you would see patches on the ground where oil would drip out. Then again it might be a very small break in the seal and leak only under pressure.

Is there oil spatter on your exhaust backbox, rear bumper, lights and panels?

Keep an eye on your levels. Top the oil up to full - would probably only need 1ltr and then monitor how quickly the levels drops. You really only need to be worrying if the car is consuming more than 1ltr every month - but even then it's probably just a leaky seal that would need replacing at some point.

Keep an eye on your oil pressure gauge too. Any massive loss of oil or pressure would be the only cuase for concern.

Depends on how pedantric you are as to whether you want to renew your sump seals now or later???

Another idea would be to get some engine cleaner, clean the oil off the block and sump and monitor for it coming back... :thumbsup:

judging by where its eminating from then id agree that the gasket is on its way out

first impressions before seeing the image was, the plug washer perishing or missing, but the oil isnt in the right place for that, (ie It would have seeped out and be plastered all over the bottom of the sump

does it by any chance leave spots of oil if stood for a day or so?

judging by where its eminating from then id agree that the gasket is on its way out

first impressions before seeing the image was, the plug washer perishing or missing, but the oil isnt in the right place for that, (ie It would have seeped out and be plastered all over the bottom of the sump

does it by any chance leave spots of oil if stood for a day or so?

Thanks lads.Looks like I'll get the seals done anyway. Don't fancy doing it myself cos I don't have the experience, but I'll get my mechanic to do it. As a matter of interest, is it just the seals that sit between the sump and lower engine that need replacing? i.e. the lines around where the sump is bolted on?

Is there oil spatter on your exhaust backbox, rear bumper, lights and panels?

Nope, seems to be all pretty clean apart from a little rust here and there. The only excess oil I can find is included in those photos you've seen.

i'd get some spray on underseal and lash that sump if that was my motor , beginning to look pretty rusted mate.

i'd get some spray on underseal and lash that sump if that was my motor , beginning to look pretty rusted mate.

you're right booster, will do when I get the chance. Only have her a couple of weeks but will be keeping her mint from now on cos I love this car