Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Verso Locked Me Out!

Martin6

Here`s a cautionary tale: I came back to my verso with 4 passangers after lunch and we could not get in. The keyfob light flashed but nothing happened. I pulled out the tiny key and tried it but again nothing. After calling the RAC I discovered that:

a) the keyfob remote needed re programming. (Who knows why)

B) the tiny key does work but you have to turn it really hard, presumably because its so tiny and the lock never gets used.

Toyota dealer true to form quoted me 38 quid to reprogram & no it wasn't covered under warranty. Obviously I had it reprogrammed but after asking to make an official complaint about having to pay Toyota to fix something that failed under warranty, they decided it was covered after all and that the service dept shoud not have tried to charge for it.

Anyone else had this keyfob trouble?

Is it me or are do Toyota service depts. just try it on?

Here`s a cautionary tale: I came back to my verso with 4 passangers after lunch and we could not get in. The keyfob light flashed but nothing happened. I pulled out the tiny key and tried it but again nothing. After calling the RAC I discovered that:

a) the keyfob remote needed re programming. (Who knows why)

B) the tiny key does work but you have to turn it really hard, presumably because its so tiny and the lock never gets used.

Toyota dealer true to form quoted me 38 quid to reprogram & no it wasn't covered under warranty. Obviously I had it reprogrammed but after asking to make an official complaint about having to pay Toyota to fix something that failed under warranty, they decided it was covered after all and that the service dept shoud not have tried to charge for it.

Anyone else had this keyfob trouble?

Is it me or are do Toyota service depts. just try it on?

Hi -

It happened to me the other day. Remote didn't want to lock/unlock to doors. Luckily, I was at home so I used my spare remote. The spare locked and unlocked the doors.

Funny thing is that my 'everday' remote then worked fine immediately after having tried the spare.

I have never had the problem again.

Electronics is a wonderfull thing, as long as it works.

Erwin

This is probably a really stupid question, but, if the keyfob needs reprogramming - then how do you drive the car? I would have thought that the ignition interrogates the keyfob (to make sure it is the right one or not just a box of matches etc) before the car will start.

I can see how you can physically get into the car with the little key - but not how you could drive it away. If you can drive it away, then that would indicate that the keyfob contained the correct code sequence to start the car - so it's weird that it was insufficient to get you into the damn thing!

This is probably a really stupid question, but, if the keyfob needs reprogramming - then how do you drive the car? I would have thought that the ignition interrogates the keyfob (to make sure it is the right one or not just a box of matches etc) before the car will start.

I can see how you can physically get into the car with the little key - but not how you could drive it away. If you can drive it away, then that would indicate that the keyfob contained the correct code sequence to start the car - so it's weird that it was insufficient to get you into the damn thing!

There are two devices in the key: the immobiliser will be a passive 'transponder' which only has a range of two inches or so and doesn't need any power, each one has a unique serial number. The door opening device on the other hand is a higher powered radio transmitter with 100m or so range and can be picked up by crooks with radio scanners and reproduced to open your car. This is why many manufacturers use a rolling sequence of key numbers so they are different each time and the crooks are foiled!! I am guessing this is how the Verso's works, as the delership said it had become 'out of sync' with the car, hence stopped working.

I had some involvement with designing these things a few years ago.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links