Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Serivce, Expensive...

matty_aygo

Had its first 10,000 serive today. Took Rmb Toyota (Darlington) 2 hours to do and charged me £96.33 and they didnt even clean it very well.

anyway they told me that my front two tyres were on the bare minimum tred and that id need two new ones. But was a bit concerned that two brand new tyres could lose so much tred in like 6 months. Anyway took it to my garage to get a price on the tyres and they told me that the wheels hadnt been balanced correctly on the front and that tyres would cost about £60 each but theyd have to order them.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the tyres loseing so much tred?! and if i should take it up with Toyota about the unbalanced wheels? :wacko:

ps i have the sport model with the 5 spoke alloys.

comments please.

Matty...

anyway they told me that my front two tyres were on the bare minimum tred and that id need two new ones. But was a bit concerned that two brand new tyres could lose so much tred in like 6 months. Anyway took it to my garage to get a price on the tyres and they told me that the wheels hadnt been balanced correctly on the front and that tyres would cost about £60 each but theyd have to order them.

How many miles have you done on those tyres, 10000? Did the dealer show you where they were worn?

It isn't the balancing that is the problem, more likely the alignment in which case you can get uneven wear which can wreck an otherwise ok tyre in a relatively short time. The tyre has to have the legal tread depth (1mm or 1.6mm? I can't remember) across 75% of its width.

It isn't necessarily anybody's fault, as you only need to hit a bump or pothole sometimes and that can push out the alignment, but you would probably notice it pulling one way or the other.

Paul.

i thought it was 1.2mm

Unreal...!!!

This is BASIC stuff!

The legal limit for car tread depth is 1.6mm

Anything else you don't know then click HERE!

the limt it 1.6 and they are on 1.6 n the midle of the front right is on 1.1

anyway i did the thing where u let go of the wheel (on a relli wide road) lined up the lines and it pulled to the left... so yer lol

The dealer didnt show me anything all they said was you need two new front tyres and i asked him why they were so bad and he said you must drive it harsly (even though i dont) and asked him it could be anything else but he said no.

but took it to kwick fit for a price on tyres and they told me that from the looks of the tyres that the wheels werent lined up properly.

not sure what i should do really, i mean should i go back to Toyota and tell them or i dunno.

If you could prove that it had been set up incorrectly then you might have a case...........................but proving it could be difficult.

Would Quik Fit be prepared to support your case?

anyway i did the thing where u let go of the wheel (on a relli wide road) lined up the lines and it pulled to the left... so yer lol

Not really a definitive test as there probably was some camber on the road.

I thought my Aygo had the steering wheel off-centre but it is due to the sensitivity to road camber.

Turn the wheels full lock and look at the tyre from above & looking down towards the road.

The tread on the surface of the tyre should look flat. If it’s curved either way then you will know you have uneven wear.

It’s hard to explain without showing you.

well TOC told me bout 4 months ago now on my 1st service that my spare wheel (which i am still running around on) had a slow punture which was irrepairable,couldnt afford a new one at the time so i thopuhgt id see how it goes. i do 60 miles a day to work at high speeds and it STILL is fine! :blink:

I noticed my front tyre's were wearing out fast so I swapped them with the rear ones at around 9000km.

I did my service at TNS St Ives and they didn't wash the car particulary clean either - the inside door sill was quite dirty...