Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eating Discs And Pads?

kaneap

Have just acquired a 2000X RAV 2.0 Auto, seems to be consuming discs and pads at an unbelievable rate. It's just in for a 50k mile service at RRG Stockport, they tell me it needs new front discs and pads, yet all discs and pads were replaced at 40k dealer service last year!

Is 10000 miles the average service life for Toyota discs and pads?I know autos tend to be heavier on brakes and it is a heavy car, but on my other car (BMW automatic) I typically only need to change pads every 30k and discs every 60k.

Anyone got any experience with other disc/pads that are more durable if Toyota can't make them?

Have just acquired a 2000X RAV 2.0 Auto, seems to be consuming discs and pads at an unbelievable rate. It's just in for a 50k mile service at RRG Stockport, they tell me it needs new front discs and pads, yet all discs and pads were replaced at 40k dealer service last year!

Is 10000 miles the average service life for Toyota discs and pads?I know autos tend to be heavier on brakes and it is a heavy car, but on my other car (BMW automatic) I typically only need to change pads every 30k and discs every 60k.

Anyone got any experience with other disc/pads that are more durable if Toyota can't make them?

WOW :eek::eek: 10k for a set of front disks and pads.... NO WAY...

I would say they must have been fitted wrong or serious binding was taking place to cause this much wear in 10k.... Have they said why they need changing so soon after....I would take back to the garage they were originaly fitted by...Not that you drive like an F1 driver to cause this much wear.....

Not even my wife can do that and she has lead feet.... :P :P

as a reference had both front and back changed on mine at 55k and this was the first new set since new... I beleive the garage used "Blue Ray" or something like that. The fronts are vented ones as well. Quite hard to find parts as only a certain make can be used... I may be corected on this though...

There are other TOC members who are brake mechanics and now more.....but 10k on a set.. :o I say no way!!!!!

I agree with Chatman matey. 10k is no-where near the life expectancy of front discs and pads. They suffer a lot from reverse side disc corrosion but it must be bad if they're shot after 10k of use. Mr T brakes aren't as good as they used to be. Skimmed my Avensis discs last year and, after 6k, they're juddering again. Think I'll go for Mintex or Green Stuff brake components next time tho.

Its a sad but true fact that some Toyota main dealers look for work that doesn't need doing ,and i would think that could be the case with you vehicle :( .

An example i can give you, my father took his 2004 corolla T3 in for a 2nd year service and the vehicle had only 18K on the clock ,and they told him he need brake pads front and rear, he later asked me to take a look to see if they were that bad, both front and rear pads were less than half worn :angry: !!, that to me was well out of order :ffs: , so be warned...main dealer try it on as well as some smaller garages :o .

I agree with Chatman matey. 10k is no-where near the life expectancy of front discs and pads. They suffer a lot from reverse side disc corrosion but it must be bad if they're shot after 10k of use. Mr T brakes aren't as good as they used to be. Skimmed my Avensis discs last year and, after 6k, they're juddering again. Think I'll go for Mintex or Green Stuff brake components next time tho.

Thanks rf76 and other members, I will definitely be going elsewhere for second opinion (and better products perhaps) from now on! :thumbsup: