Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Unit Recommendations

DefiantFrog

My head unit (Pioneer 7400MP) went pop a few days back - completely dead. I'm assuming an internal fuse, and I'm about to pull it apart to see if I can work out exactly what blew and if it can be fixed.

If its not fixable, I need a new head unit as the stock G7 Sony one, although adequate for most, in my opinion is a bit rubbish and I'm getting sick of it already.

So, does anyone have any recommendations (with justification, rather than "Alpine are wicked get one of them!") for a new head unit around the £150 - £200 mark? £200 isn't a ceiling, but it has to be good justification for more than that!

Requirements are:

MP3, WMA, CD, Radio minimum

I-Pod compatible would be nice, but not a must as I don't have one yet

4x50w

Sub out, preferably with some kind of control over the frequencies going through it. 2 more outputs would be good incase I decide to get adventerous with audio again!

Nice display, not just block lettering (i like pretty things!)

Can be single or double din

Your thoughts people...?

I would try and get a second hand nakamichi :thumbsup:

id say get an alpine imo ;)

get a decent one for that price range :thumbsup:

alpine HU

I have been looking into a new deck for my mota and this model and the next one up with the Ipod lead (cost £60 on its own) have been reccomended by loads of people.

Let me know if you do go with it as I maybe getting the same. :thumbsup:

I have been looking into a new deck for my mota and this model and the next one up with the Ipod lead (cost £60 on its own) have been reccomended by loads of people.

Let me know if you do go with it as I maybe getting the same. :thumbsup:

you can get the ipod adapter thing on eBay abit cheaper than that was goign to get one in the mr2 but didnt in the end but now think i will lol :thumbsup:

heres one 99p atm lol

and another adapter :yes:

Have had one of these installed now since monday... cant recomend it enough, you get the same features as with an ipod adapter HU but all iv got attached to it is a USB Hard Drive full of MP3 n WMA's -In my glove box.

They are going for about £240 here but i managed to get one on eBay last week for £200. Theres a few cheaper ones with the same idea here if you dont wana spend quite as much.

I bought the JVC KD-SH1000 a month or so ago it will read mp3s from cd/sd/usb, has slide down front,

nice graphics etc. Would definitely recommend it. Pixmania have it for just over £200 and if you

search google there is a discount voucher code for money off postage.. Bargin! :lol:

Stu

I would try and get a second hand nakamichi :thumbsup:

Woo Hoo...

Someone else who knows Nakamichi, I've swron by their kit for years and it's all absolutely amazing, in-car or at home :D

Sorry to disagree but Nakamichi are WAY over priced for what they deliver, they have been living off there reputation for a long time now and there current HU's are not what they use to be in terms on build and sound quality.

btw hi Rhaines ;)

Here's one of the best places to buy from for customer service and price

linky

personal recomendations

Pioneer HU

Clarion HU

Pioneer HU

Kenwood HU

I'll let you read up on them, all have varying features which maybe of use to you. Personally I'd avoid JVC units, better quality for your money in other brands.

Nakimich are expensive, but they do sound good... (that why I said second hand)

Even if they didn't, I'd rather have a sleak smart 'michi in my interior then those hideous, garish flashy headunits....

Most modern headunits, even the high end ones have that horrid bright hard sound that is so hard to describe (not that most people that think mp3s sound good would notice - I know Speakers play a huge part too!) I cant stand that!

Nakimichi gear is made by audiophiles for audiophiles, as opposed to mass marketed tat aimed at the ipod generation that buy a headunit based on the number of features on the box and the amount of information on the screen...

My second choice would pobably be an alpine :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nakamichi-CD45Z-24-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

And assuming you have a Double DIN :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nakamichi-MF51Disc-c...1QQcmdZViewItem

My second choice would pobably be an alpine :thumbsup:

Whoo Hoooooo i've got an Alpine :yahoo:

but i'd like someone to show me how to use it :unsure: its very confusing :blink::lol:

my alpine has an operation instruction book

thats bigger than WAR AND PEACE :D

but its a cracking head unit !!!

:lol: yeah mine has one too :yes:

sounds alot like yours :lol: :P

Thanks for advice so far... I've been wondering about staying with Pioneer - features vs price, Pioneers have always been outstanding, imo, and sound quality is pretty good through a decent set of Speakers - certainly good enough for a car. And yeah, my last one died - but its been going 5 years (and stolen and recovered twice in its early years!), probably about 2 hours a day, every day, since I got it! It ain't done too bad!

Gonna get myself down to Halfrauds / Bass Junkies / CEL to try the Alpine units, see what they sound like, and see if my simple mind can work 'em - sounds like they're a bit of a mine field when trying to get to where you want to be in them! Same with the Clarion - I know they have a good rep.

JVC, I'm prob gonna steer clear of, I've come across a few JVCs and never been overly impressed. As its been recommended though, I will try and find a KD-SH1000 see what I think of it.

Nakimichi... Hmmmm... Interesting idea, but I'm afraid I don't like e-bay for anything electronic & expensive. £165 + potential import duty for something which may never arrive from Hong-Kong. Its too much for me to lose I'm afraid.

The hunt starts in ernest tomorrow, I'll let you know what I impulse purchased instead of a new head unit!! Keep the recommendations coming of there are any more! :D