Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Corolla Levin Gt Apex Ae101

Escy

I've just bought a Toyota Corolla Levin GT Apex, AE101 model with the 20v engine, not picked it up yet. I don't know much about them and have a few questions.

It is a 1992 car and has superstrut suspension. I don't know what the superstrut is exactly, can anyone explain it to me? I've read on here that it can cause problems?

Who sells brake pads in the UK?

Do they come with LSD's as standard?

It's limited to 115mph, is it possible to de-restrict it?

Are these alloy wheels standard, been told they are TOMs wheels?

Who do you all use for insurance? I find they are quite expensive. What group are they in?

47_1.JPG

36_1.JPG

60_1.JPG

Cheers, Tom.

Have I posted this in the wrong forum or something?

No but do you know what a 'fair' eBay acution is! That car should be sitting in my driveway. :censor:

eBay Snipeing is for dirty cheats.

That car needs a bit of work to get her past the MOT just sell her to me i'll give you what you paid for it.

No but do you know what a 'fair' eBay acution is! That car should be sitting in my driveway. :censor:

That car needs a bit of work to get her past the MOT just sell her to me i'll give you what you paid for it.

I didn't snipe, I won it fair and square. Put a bid in with 4 seconds left. I can't help being good. :P :toast:

I know it needs some work for the MOT, should be a good project. I'm picking it up today. B)

I didn't snipe, I won it fair and square. Put a bid in with 4 seconds left. I can't help being good. :P :toast:

I know it needs some work for the MOT, should be a good project. I'm picking it up today. B)

I have the same car, but you have the superstrut version i think. I saw the ad before. Try not revving it all the way home till you give it a good oil change! :thumbsup:

Superstrut is a great suspension if maintenance is kept up, the ball joints tend to wear faster than standard Mac Pherson strut setups so keep an eye on wear and tear, expensive to repair unfortunately. EBC and Mintex sell brake pads for your car, MR2 Turbo for the front, Carina E GTi for the rear, same pads. No LSD. Yes its possible. Yes they are TOM's wheels.

Just picked it up today. It has fresh oil in it when I picked it up but I will be doing another oil change shortly to flush it all out.

I'm shocked at the handling, it's fantastic. Much better than I expected. I didn't boot it once or go hard on the brakes (as the cambelt tensioner is rattley and the brake on one side was metal to metal) but I did throw it into some corners and it impressed me. Supportive yet comfy seats too.

Also, what cars will share the basic service items i'll need like fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, oil filter, etc?

What grade oil is recomended for the engine and gearbox?

I'm not sure what you have in England but any motor parts store like Autocare here will be able to supply you with a fuel and oil filter. Not sure off hand what other cars they share parts with but they should have a listing for a ST 20v. Spark plugs are NGK BK6REP11 or Iridium equivalent IK20. When you're replacing the air filter you might as well go for an aftermarket filter, Apexi and HKS manufacture panel filters for the ST. Any performance store can get you one, or you could get it here directly from Greenline.

http://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/bccatpar...category=intake

10W40 and ATF gearbox oil would suit.

The car can use any 4AGE bottom end part so oil fiter etc, as for oil fully synth 10/40. All the super strut stuff should be the same as the celica's.

If you get stuck with a part just PM me my brother and a few other's on the fourm as toyta part's men and can find you any part number your after.

Oh and if you fancy selling :thumbsup:

as said above any 4age filter will fit perfectly...there all the same as far I recall........when i had my 20v conveted corolla i always ran it on millers 10w-40 semi synth and changed it every 4000 miles..always ran as sweet as a nut..

sometimes I miss my 20v more than anything

Started working it this evening. The seller had told me the cambelt was slack and the tensioner was shagged. The car came with a new belt and tensioner. Went to fit it and when I tried to slacked the bolt on the bottom pulley the cambelt skipped a few teeth on the exhaust cam and then stripped 2 teeth also. I was quite glad to find out its a non-interferance head. It ended up being a !Removed! removing that bolt, but finally done it. I can't get the pulley off the crank now, it seems wedged solid and the pulley is chipping on the edge where i'm trying to lever it with a screwdriver. I've given up because it's dark :yawn:

I had a good look at the Superstrut suspension also, I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?> me, Toyota don't do things by half. No wonder it handles so well.

OriRacer, i've fallen in love with it already so don't plan on selling it anytime soon (that may all change if I end up with a huge MOT fail sheet though!)

edit-1.jpg

Also, whats this valve that i've circled? My idle is about 2000rpm, when the plug from this is removed it idles fine. Is it something fitted on all Corolla's?

Its the ISCV, Idle Speed Control Valve or Idle Air Control Valve. It should only idle at 2000rpm when the engine hasn't reached a suitable operating temperature.

Yeah its fairly high, varying constantly based on different operating condtions/engine load etc. Its more like 1800rpm when its started on a cold morning but goes down to about 1200rpm after a few minutes and then when fully warmed up about 900-1000rpm.