Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whining/increasing Revs When Steering.

JTG

Hello, I have recently purchased an Avensis 2.0 CDX (98) and would just like to hear people's possible explanation for what I think is a niggling problem.

When I am at a stand-still or moving slowly (20 or less) and I turn the steering wheel, it makes a whining sound, this I thought was maybe just normal, but unlikely, certainly not a major problem anyway. But more recently I noticed that the revs increase considerably when the wheel is turned at a stand-still, the go up by a couple hundred or so.

Does anybody have any ideas why this might be? I figure it's straining the motor ot something for some reason. If it helps, the power steering fluid sits nicely on the max line.

Thank you for any help.

This is just the power steering. The 'whining' will be louder at full-lock. An increase in revs is normal.

However, I have also got a Carina E which has a dry bearing on the power-steering pump. This can be a bit noisey. It's been like that for 3 years and is solved by a squirt of 3in1 oil on the pulley spindle every once in a while.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links