Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fto Gr Vs My Ss2

yellowchinaman

Hi Guys

I don't actually know much about these FTO's.

My friend just got him self a 96GR V6.

How does my ST202 compare with his GR?

Your ST2o2 is far superior - his will break and probarly quite soon . Perfromace shouldnt be a problem either :)

There around 190bhp IIRC, should give it a good run in your 202 ;)

Your ST2o2 is far superior - his will break and probarly quite soon . Perfromace shouldnt be a problem either :)

That makes me feel better already.

Jones~32 I'm sure the GR is around 170bhp @7KRPM?

I thought they were all around 190 lol, i'm prolly wrong, don't know FTOs very well :P

I don't know much too.

But I found this link though

96 GR

and it's differen't from what crismillencolin link says.

I've always thought that they where quite similar in performance with the acception that celica has a GT4.

Ended up getting a SS2 becasue I know it's more reliable and everyone says the engine is tough.

I guess the only way to know is to drag it out over next weekend...

Looks like I'll have to take out my subs to reduce weight now.

My mates got an FTO GR all the usual go fast bits and i can nail him with my Rover 620ti. :D Although the FTO is a sweet handler & only weighs about the same as a sherbet dab. . :unsure:

The FTO's come in many flavours just like the ST202. A Standard ST202 will kill a standard FTO. A standard FTO Mivec with have a standard ST202 (SS2) but an SS3 Celica will toast that FTO. Overall the celica models are better. The FTO's are built out of spit and straw and they look gheyer than Boy George in a Pink bicycle on Brighton beach.

The FTO's are built out of spit and straw and they look gheyer than Boy George in a Pink bicycle on Brighton beach.

Darned tootin` they do. :yes: I keep telling me mate to get rid, in case people think he`s a bit peculiar. :lol: Mind you he reckons the back (Fugly) end looks a bit like a porsche!!!! So i guess he is a bit peculiar. :rolleyes:

Despite what these guys say dont be too shocked if the fto is as quick if not quicker, and deffo take your subs out!

Despite what these guys say dont be too shocked if the fto is as quick if not quicker, and deffo take your subs out!

The tiptronic ones ain`t that hot on acceleration. (Always assuming the tippy box is actually working) But they are a very light car so as Zuban says they aren`t a walkover. Not that performance is what this thread is all about. Other aspects are the shockingly flimsy bumpers and spoiler. The headlights and indicators that mist up and their prepensity to break when pushed that little bit harder. The actual V6 engine is a gem although its a pig to service. The Celica is the overall winner if you take build quality and reliability into account. :yes:

mm i love the engines, rev like hell and sound awesome, and the handling too- and TBH i quite like the looks aswell :bag:

mates got the second best one IMHO though, a late manual mivec. second only to the version R B)

i reakon as you have more horses than him, and he's running a spazmatic, then my money would be on your celica i think :thumbsup:

The Celica is the overall winner if you take build quality and reliability into account. :yes:

Agreed :thumbsup:

I think it will be close, and hopefully the celica :toast:

Will be interesting to see the results

I was looking at fto's before I got the Celica. I really wanted one and got to know the range pretty well, I'm not sure a Celica would perform outstandingly against one. The GR and GX are similarly matched at 180hp and 100kg less than a 202 but the MIVEC has 200 brake and would probably eat a GT/SSII. :help:

Still, I am happier now with the Celica and glad my insurance is only £750 as opposed to £2800 for a very similar car! And yes, I did shop around.

Wow! I didn't expect so many mixed opinions.

So I'm not the only one who considered a FTO before buying the Celica?

I still think I've made the right decision.

I know the Mavec will eat my car but this GR is very close in spec.

Both around 178-180 bhp. Both FR cars. Bothe similar handling. But the GR isa bit lighter. Power to weight ratio he might have an advantage. Not that I doubt my baby but I'm quite worked up and can't wait till the weekend.

Regardless of popular opinion I think they look good and would even go so far to say they look better than a Celica!! I have never been a great fan of gen 6 Celicas looks wise other than the 4's, but overall I was impressed by the 'package'! I looked at FTO's but TBH only the 200bhp model was exciting to drive. I would happily go head to head with the GR and even though they are lighter and there gearing is better I reckon I could easily keep up.

I really want a starlet!!!!!

The FTO's come in many flavours just like the ST202. A Standard ST202 will kill a standard FTO. A standard FTO Mivec with have a standard ST202 (SS2) but an SS3 Celica will toast that FTO. Overall the celica models are better. The FTO's are built out of spit and straw and they look gheyer than Boy George in a Pink bicycle on Brighton beach.

mmmm. my mate had the v6 24v triptronic mivec fto and when i 1st got my gen 5 he kept up but could not take me. He said that it was pretty evens......4 weeks later he bought an rx-7!!!!!!!!!!!! :toast:

Nearly scrapped the Celi a few months ago and bought a Hyundai Coupe 2.0 new instead... Probs with Celi and all that... After looking at the Coupe I got home.. Sat in the Celi and that was it... Said to missus.. "nope no good I just can't bring myself to get rid of her." BUT it is a Gen4, so looks better than any of the others and any other car EVER... So there... pppfffttt!!!!!!

And WHO in their right mind would want a porsche????

Ooooo I ranted... lol

Nearly scrapped the Celi a few months ago and bought a Hyundai Coupe 2.0 new instead... Probs with Celi and all that... After looking at the Coupe I got home.. Sat in the Celi and that was it... Said to missus.. "nope no good I just can't bring myself to get rid of her." BUT it is a Gen4, so looks better than any of the others and any other car EVER... So there... pppfffttt!!!!!!

And WHO in their right mind would want a porsche????

Ooooo I ranted... lol

Have you got it all sorted yet Cris? :unsure:

i dont encourage racing but i had a sport on with 1 on my local dual carriage way :D he was nearly touchin my rear bumper but i pulled in to the slow lane with him still in the fast lane guess what happened?................? the gap got bigger with me being in front of course :thumbsup: i defo think the st202 is quicker than an fto :toast::toast::toast:

i dont encourage racing but i had a sport on with 1 on my local dual carriage way :D he was nearly touchin my rear bumper but i pulled in to the slow lane with him still in the fast lane guess what happened?................? the gap got bigger with me being in front of course :thumbsup: i defo think the st202 is quicker than an fto :toast::toast::toast:

LOL he must have been riding your slipstream! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Don't mean to bump this old thread but some of you are wandering what happened????

Well here's what happened.

In less then a week of buying the FTO my friend tried to change his spark. In doing so the car developed lots of faults. Back firing, juddering, power loss and then eventually DEATH!

The FTO was than towed back to his place and hasn't been on the road since.

So in the end I never did get to organise a drag. Let alone see it go!

But at least I now that i didn't make a mistake and bought a FTO.

crismillencolin your first comment was rock on!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links