Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Brakes Smoking!

Cindy

I just had my brakepads changed. When I got home from the garage, I

saw huge plumes of smoke from one rear brake. I called the garage ATS EUROMASTER

and they said it means I need a new caliper and that they couldnt get one for me.

In the meantime they told me not to drive. Any suggestions? Do other garages in

England, Surrey have celica calipers on hand? Does it mean my brake pads are worn

out again? Shouldnt that garage replace them for free?

www.brakesinternational.co.uk will sort you out an exchange caliper.

Other options please!

Brakes international wanted a WHOPPING

140 quid for one rear right caliper. In the USA they are only $50 plus $50 refundable

if I send an old one back. But they said the caliper would not fit my jap import car.

www.brakesinternational.co.uk will sort you out an exchange caliper.

Tell them that the rear brakes are the same on your car as a UK model. And where they got £140 from is anybodys guess. should be about 75 + VAT

I`d be tempted to give TCB a ring. They know their Celicas inside out and are very helpful. http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/ :thumbsup:

Does sound like the caliper i had a similar problem on my front turned out to be the caliper it was sticking on alot of the time causing the pad to grind. Hence why i am going to replace the rear ones aswell.

Good luck in finding the parts but £150 per caliper does sound expensive think thats about what my front ones came to for a set!!!!!

i rercently replaced all my disks and pads,my fromt 2 calipers were ceasing,i removed them and cleaned everything up and re greased them,they have been fine since,although i do still need 2 calipers. might be an idea to get use of ur car for the time being

just had the same issue on my Gen 6 GT. a replacement rear caliper was £70 odd from Brakes International. Still need to swap over the slider etc. Check the pads - if they are cracked then you should replace them as well.

i had a seized piston phoned Brakes4u and they told me to have a go if i didnt want to purchase new caliper........undone caliper got an airline popped piston after a fair bit of effort bought new pistons and seal kits greased it all up put back together in half a day got new pads from above and not had a problem since(touch wood)

It'll be the piston sticking, celicas are prone for that. Take the pads out & undo the bottom bolt on the caliper & lift it up. Work the piston out a short way being very carful not to pop it out. Lift the rubber dust cover up slightly, try not to tear it cos the rubber is very thin. Squirt some WD40 inside the rubber & work the piston in & out a few times until it's moving freely. then put it all back together, it should be fine.

It helps if you have somone to pump the brakes for you.

I would strongly advise that you DON'T use WD40 anywhere near your brake seals as it is mineral based and will quickly destroy the piston seal. Then you will have to buy a new caliper as the seal will be so swollen that you won't be able to get the piston out. The Idea is quite good, but use brake fluid instead. It has very good lubrication properties and with a bit of rubbing will remove most of the deposit from the piston. The usual cause for siezing is the ring of steel that holds the piston seal in place. It is just inside the dust cover and over time corrodes and expands, thus jamming the piston. You can get a few months more life out of a rusty caliper by removing the piston, dust cover and seal, and cleaning back the corrosion to bright metal. It will only last a few months before you start to have similar problems. Better to bite the bullet and buy a caliper. Regards Ray

I would strongly advise that you DON'T use WD40 anywhere near your brake seals as it is mineral based and will quickly destroy the piston seal. Then you will have to buy a new caliper as the seal will be so swollen that you won't be able to get the piston out. The Idea is quite good, but use brake fluid instead. It has very good lubrication properties and with a bit of rubbing will remove most of the deposit from the piston. The usual cause for siezing is the ring of steel that holds the piston seal in place. It is just inside the dust cover and over time corrodes and expands, thus jamming the piston. You can get a few months more life out of a rusty caliper by removing the piston, dust cover and seal, and cleaning back the corrosion to bright metal. It will only last a few months before you start to have similar problems. Better to bite the bullet and buy a caliper. Regards Ray

I've always used it & never had a problem, did mine 3 years ago & it's been fine since. If you used brake fluid on a painted calliper it will take the paint off.

But if you want to go ahead with a new calliper thats up to you.