Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Refusal To Pay Minimum Wage.

Robie

My sister has turned 18 and told her employer (non contract) that she would not be willing to work for less than National Minimum Wage.

She has received a lovely letter from them saying that they are sorry she is unwilling to work for less than NMWL and they would be happy to give references etc. She has been in to see them plenty of times yet they chose to do this by letter rather than to her face.

Now, she doesnt actually want to work for them anyway but I am encouraging her to at least report them.

I have done some research and she has the right to her previous pay to be updated to NMWL and the employer are certainly refusing to pay minimum wage, we have this in writing which is handy.

So I'm not asking for people to explain the legalities of this but has anyone had any past experience of reporting unscrupulous employers and the successfulness of this?

Many Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

this one is a tricky one. i am sure she would be able to take them to court and gain some form of compensation. It could be more hassle than it is worth so it will depend on how long she has been working there etc.

i had a situation a few years back with some of my colleagues being made redundant. they all decided they wanted to take legal advice and see if the could take the matter to court. their case was a bit more complicated than your sisters. The solicitors they spoke to and they did speak to about 3 said there was every chance they would win but it was what they classed as an hollow victory.

Yes they would get money, but the time it would take and the stress it would cause and the hassles of making staqtements going to court etc. could become a focal part of their lives for say 6 months and they advised for them to walk away and forget about it.

my personal opinion is that she should walk away, pick herself up with a big smile on her face and aim higher than just wanting minimum wage. they may have done her a large favour and who knows the next employer may be great and 3 years time she could be earning a fortune and be happy in her work (something that is worth more than money).

what ever happens wish her goodluck.

Thanks for your help Bodgit.

She only works part time as she is a Student so I do not want to kick up a fuss just for money.

I don't like the fact they are exploiting their workers and have the nerve to admit so in black and white on headed paper.

Maybe a letter to the local paper will suffice. :thumbsup:

The minimum wage for a 18yr old is £4.45 per hour. If the company involved refuses to pay this, inform your local tax office.

It could be they are working a fiddle and will look into it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links