Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 5 Gti

Cexy_Ratt

My speedo has just stopped working, seems to quiver every so often... any ideas what to look for, is it a cable that drives the speedo

Any help /suggestins please

I am trying to sell this motor and this happens!!!

The cable runs from the gearbox, up through the bulkhead to the back of the speedo. I think theres a nylon gear that goes into the gearbox. I expect some of the teeth are broken.

I bow to your knowledge RR, I was going off experiences with Asha's Gen5. Not a cable drive to be seen in that one !

pretty sure is hasn't. I've had the whole dash out of that one very recently and the clocks only have 3 or 4 electrical connectors. It's a GT-R if that makes a difference

The gen 5 has 2 types of speedo drive. Cable and electronic. :thumbsup:

I believe that some if not all models fitted with cruise control were fitted with electronic units The only difference is that cable driven speedos have a direct cable drive from the speedo drive gear and electronic ones have an adaptor fitted to the same speedo drive gear. :unsure:

thanks for the help guys. I have took the speedo drive thingy out of the gearbox, all the nylon teeth do seem to be ok and in tact.. The speedo did start to re-act but then stopped working again, i am assuming it probably down the speedo thing being nadged , electronically wise.

Would it be worth getting a new speedo thing or should i be looking elsewhere as well

again an suggestions / advise is welcome, thanks in advance .

Rob

thanks for the help guys. I have took the speedo drive thingy out of the gearbox, all the nylon teeth do seem to be ok and in tact.. The speedo did start to re-act but then stopped working again, i am assuming it probably down the speedo thing being nadged , electronically wise.

Would it be worth getting a new speedo thing or should i be looking elsewhere as well

Rob

Is yours a u.k. car?

Went to the scrapys and they have 3 gen5 GTI's in so managed to get a secondhand speedo sendor unit for 15 quid and that has solved the problems, my speedo is working again

it is a uk car aswell

Rob

Is yours a u.k. car?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links