Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ssiii - What To Look Out For?

SS3wannabe

Hi lads i'm planning on bringing in an SS3 from Japan and was wondering is ther anything in particular that i should specify to the import agent to check out on suitable cars?

I'm planning on getting a late model ('99) low mileage minter to hold onto for a couple of years, preferably with the blacktop BEAMS engine . Does this version of the engine suffer any reliability issues over the redtop engine because of it's higher output?

Can anybody give me a definitive answer on te exact differences in output between both engines?

I know the superstrut suspension can be problematic is there any way of checking whether it's on the way out? bearing in mind the cars cant be test driven at the Japanese auctions?

I've been doing a bit of research on the cars and some articles and guides talk about maintaining the suspension to prolong its life, now 'scuse my ignorance but what maintenance can be done on the suspension apart from changing whats worn out? :unsure:

Sorry i may seem cheeky just landing here with a hundred questions but i'd be grateful for any info that you guys might have.

All i can offer in return is a few bits of info on my present choice of motor, an EK Civic! B) :!Removed!:

Cheers lads lookin forward to getting to know every1

Good choice of car bud , never seen a blacktop - very rare ! Only a few reds . I believe the superstrut goes about 60k and it quite costly to repair some one will be along soon am sure to give you more precise answer (dak/booster!) The engine shouldnt be any less reliable than any of the other toyota engines and if looked after will be superior to most , only like 5bhp more isnt it than red ?:D oh and while i remember welcome ;)

Hi there,

Thought only the Altezza and maybe MR2 came with the blacktop and the celica got the redtop? May be wrong?!

Hello anyway :thumbsup:

Hi there,

Thought only the Altezza and maybe MR2 came with the blacktop and the celica got the redtop? May be wrong?!

Hello anyway :thumbsup:

afaik they had the option of the blacktop yep, I see the atezzas being advertised with 230bhp though (well I do anyway!) while the celica is quoted around 210 with the same engine. Hows that? :wacko:

The blacktop is more like 210-220 depending on where you look! The redtop is 200 although someone had a new one and it was dyno'd at 169!! The main difference being the blacktop has vvti on both the intake and exhaust cams which gives it high power at high revs. Getting parts for it is a main dealer job and you may have to pay through the nose for them. I've heard someone paid £160 for a cambelt for the redtop (yeah, just the belt :eek: )Whilst the 3s-ge is non-interference, I think the 3s-ge Beams is not, so make sure that cambelt is done or gets done! I think I read somewhere the Beams requires a cambelt at 90k rather than 60k, but better check first!

The SuperStrut is excellent until it fails! My SS2 has it and it handles SO well. No body roll and really tight handling at high speeds. Don't think there's any way of checking whether it is on it's way out or not unless you can hear it clunking! The auctioneers may let you take the wheel off to check it, but i seriously doubt it! Between 60 and 80, possibly 100,000 miles depending on how it's been driven it will finally give in and a hefty bill will be on your lap. If you don't mind the bill, it aint a problem! As far as maintaing it, don't go over any speed bumps and drive like your gran! :D The parts aren't too badly priced now, it's just the labour.

If you can find one, it's a very nice car. A GT4's engine would probably cost less to maintain though!

Nice current choice of motor BTW ;) :sick:

There is no such thing as a black top beams celica. the black top engine was only in the altezza.

Look out for accident damage, knocking on the superstrut and leaking CV boots.

The superstrut is a pain the back side but worth it.

Yeah there is no blacktop ss3, the redtop is quoted at 200ps or 197bhp.

Either way its the superstrut and torsen diff that make the ss3, the engine is just a bonus.

I stand corrected on the blacktop issue so lads, thanks for clearing that up.

Is cost of parts or cost of labour the biggest issue when it comes to the suspension woes? What sort of bill can i look forward to when the time comes?

Between myself and my dad we manage to keep a fleet of half a dozen cars, 4x4s and bikes going and my uncle is a garage man with all the pits and equipment (and trade discounts :thumbsup: ) so unless the parts are totally extortionate and needed regularly then i wouldnt be overly concerned.

How costly is it to repair the issues mentioned above as a matter of interest??? Everyone tells you it's expensive... but HOW expensive???

Superstrut is just over £600 for the parts - Thats for both sides.... Then you got fitting

look out for gt4's overtaking mate .

look out for gt4's overtaking mate .

I will but I wont be pulling over for MR2s, mate! :P

Superstrut is just over £600 for the parts - Thats for both sides.... Then you got fitting

That's steep alright. Is it a tricky job?

The way to look at it i suppose is that it'll be good for another 60k. Or will it? I mean will there be bushes and fig of 8s etc constantly needing replacing before the big 'uns let go?

JUST replace the fig 8 with lower control arm 1 , as when it starts knocking really bad . i changed my own on my celica gt4 in 2 hours . the banana arm camber control arm 2 usually lasts eternal compared to the other 2 .

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/ sell what you need mate.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

just posting an update, it'll probably mean excommunication from this particular forum but what the hell, i bought an Altezza. :!Removed!:

Seriously though they're a great car, 225bhp blacktop BEAMS engine, rwd, very comfortable, bit of a looker.

Bought it in Leeds, it's now been rehomed in the Emerald Isle.

I'll get me coat.... :D

post-32581-1166623346_thumb.jpg

post-32581-1166623358_thumb.jpg

post-32581-1166623369_thumb.jpg

Nice motor mate, nice choice, looks a stunner! :drool:

Bet it sounds really sweet as the rpms get higher... and higher!! :lol: :D

I have got a spare cambelt for the redtop, let me know if you need one. There not to easy to find and not cheap i paid £150 for mine.

Nice motor mate, nice choice, looks a stunner! :drool:

Bet it sounds really sweet as the rpms get higher... and higher!! :lol: :D

Yeah, there's a full Powerflow system on it as well, lovely hum from about 4,500rpm :D

I have got a spare cambelt for the redtop, let me know if you need one. There not to easy to find and not cheap i paid £150 for mine.

Yeah i heard they're pricey, someone told me €400 from a dealers before you even look at tensioners and idlers, or a water pump! :blink:

Is yours a genuine belt? Would ther be any difference between red top and black top timing belts? She is due a timing belt i might take you up on that offer. PM me the details how much you want for it etc :)