Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aircon On Or Off During Winter

dr_roy

G´day Ladies and Gents

Im driving a 02 Avensis VVTi GS 1. Now that summer flown by should I keep running the aircon 24/7 or just have it on once every week or something? Whats the best way to do it?

/roy

10 to 20 minutes during a week , just to keep things normal . should be ok .

Always a good idea to operate a system regulary keeps it fresh, so when those hot days are back it just works with no hassle.

You will find it demists the back window ten time faster than the heating element. Also , you should run it for a few minutes a week because the seals on the compressor shaft use the fluid as a lubricant. If nothing rotoates for ages, the seals can crack up and it will cost you. On the other hand, if its on all the time, you will take a 5-10% hit on your mpg.

Strike a balance.

Not sure if the previous model Avensis is like the new one, but my 04 Avensis will not allow the aircon to work if the external temp display is about 5c or lower. So in the depths of winter may be worth running the aircon when/if we get a nice sunny winters afternoon when the temps are that bit higher.

Unless we are in a mini ice age then nothing will work!

Lol, I've never noticed that on my 05 model, can't wait for cold weather now, just to check it out!!

Thanks for all of your advice people. :D

Ill try and run it once every week or something just to keep the fluids in order. I have still to check the actual manual to see if it mentions aircon maintenace. :thumbsup:

With my last car - a Corolla - I was told not to tun the air-con below 5 C. With the Avensis I was told 0C, I think the car let me, but I'll have to test soon. Either way, I never start or turn the engine off with the AC on, blowers running high or any other elecrical stuff I can avoid, just to save the Battery.

I don't know how I'm going to keep the air con 'fresh' -- sometimes a lot of time can go by before I see a day above zero, possibly months before I see 5 C.

I think all air con systems don't work in cold temperatures.

We've got a fridge that doesn't work at about 5 degrees I think.

Probably to do with physics of refrigerant evaporation and compression at those low temperatures.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links