Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With Headlight Bulb Power

ahmed

hi,

i have a 02 model corolla and i am having a slight problem with the power source that powers the headlight bulbs. basically, i am trying to power a HID ballast from that power source and when i turn the headlight on, the ballast activates and the xenon light turns on, after about 10seconds it cuts off the power and the ballast shuts off.

i've spoken to an auto-electrician who says the chances are that the car's ECU is detecting a fault and cutting off the power supplied to the headlight wire. And he said the chances are the ballast is consuming more power than the ordinary built-in bulb does and as a result of this, the car's ECU is assuming it as a fault.

can anyone help me out here and advise me on possible solutions to solve this problem

thanx

May I ask why you fitted xenon bulbs?

I know this may be stating the obvious but are they fitted in correctly (flush into holder to make good 'earth', wire clip if of that design 'cliped' in correctly etc.), also are the conectors/prongs exactly the same to original bulb fittment?

Also whislt bulbs will be 12v there can sometimes be varing 'amps' (in simplistic terms - will effect brightness).

May I ask why you fitted Xenon bulbs?

I know this may be stating the obvious but are they fitted in correctly (flush into holder to make good 'earth', wire clip if of that design 'cliped' in correctly etc.), also are the conectors/prongs exactly the same to original bulb fittment?

Also whislt bulbs will be 12v there can sometimes be varing 'amps' (in simplistic terms - will effect brightness).

i just wanted to upgrade to HID xenon.

As far as i am aware, its fitted correctly. I tried the ballast directly with the cars Battery and it works and stays on. However, when i use the power source from the headlight power and clipped into the ballasts clips provided, it powers on for about 10 seconds and then cuts off. If i turn of the headlight and turn it back on it does the same again.

any ideas?

^

This is wierd

I have never heard this mentioned about xenon bulbs before

It really does sound like a 'protection system' is kicking in so to speak (as your Auto electrician stated).

Due to newness of your car I would definately say that it would not be any form of wiring/electric fault on the cars side (and anyway Toyota electrics have a superb reputation of reliabilty).

I might ask on another forum sometime; as curiosity has got me on this one

Hang on I've just realsied something :wacko:

(And please anybody else please join in)

You say you've upgraded to xenon bulbs ...

...I thought actual xenon bulbs were only for xenon headlamps so to speak (e.g. new VW Golf were about 600 quid a pair for complete light units)

Are the bulbs you bought 'Xenon effect'?

Incidently have you refitted standards bulbs back in to check if light system/circuit functions correctly?

Not sure but two possibilities raise there heads:

Excess current draw or overheating.

If the HID ballast packs are drawing too much current there may be some protection in the original wiring to prevent this ( ie to prevent electircal fire ). Though I would have thought that more likely to have been in the form of a fuse that would blow - and since the lights come back on that kind of rules that out.

Is it possible there is a thermal cut out, and that the actual headlight enclosure is getting too hot?

There are various kits, of various quality, kicking about.

Maybe some of the others in the forum who have successfully upgraded may be able to help more...

I'm just makeing guesses!

Headlights do not operate via an ECU! Headlamps are switched via a relay only.

If you have xenon headlamps, by law you must have self-levelling system fitted to stop glare. I can only suggest that the ballast pack is faulty.

that auto electrician is a !Removed!, its not hooked up to the ECU at all. If the thing was drawing too much power the fuse would blow, if the fuse is still in tact then i'd say there was something wrong with the ballast. Its unlikely to be the bulb itself as that has few electronic components.

check the relay.

A friend of mine who had HID installed in his E12 used a relay to power it directly from the Battery and had no problems at all. I'm think that's the solution to your problem. Similar problem on a Grand Cherokee was solved the same way. :thumbsup:

Please inform us since i'm also interested in buying cheap stuff for eBay :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links