Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting Inside An E12 Instrument Panel

MarcTS

Hi Guys, I've just pulled out the instrument panel from my car and it was at that point that I got extremely confused as to how I actually open the thing up. Has anyone done this before and if so what do I have do smash/gently prise open?

InstrumentFront_thumb.jpg

InstrumentBack_thumb.jpg

Hi

I know this may sound daft have you tried dimming down the the display so it's not so bright?

I can't see you will be able to change it without a new complete unit :blink: .

pb

:wacko:

I'd really prefer to change the bulbs inside the unit, and It looks possible as there are 4 metal clips as well as a load of white push pins and then a number of moulded grips along the outer edge that all seem to play a part. I just don't want to snap anything attempting it until someone who's already tried it lets me know what to do :unsure:

TrunX I'd have thought they were LEDs rather than conventional bulbs, and in theory your car is gonna give up long before an LED does...

Of course I may well be wrong!!

TrunX I'd have thought they were LEDs rather than conventional bulbs, and in theory your car is gonna give up long before an LED does...

I don´t think the LED(or conventional bulbs) are inside.

I think there are cold catodes(CCFL)-->some kind of fluorescent lamp(only in LEXUS & Toyota !), usually used in LCD displays.

I think there are cold catodes(CCFL)-->some kind of fluorescent lamp(only in LEXUS & Toyota !), usually used in LCD displays.

Yeah cold cathodes would work for illuminating the whole panel, but there'd still need to be a point source of light for the dials, and things like the low fuel warning light. Could be EL sheets, or LEDs or whatever.

Yeah cold cathodes would work for illuminating the whole panel, but there'd still need to be a point source of light for the dials, and things like the low fuel warning light. Could be EL sheets, or LEDs or whatever.

I agree for warning lights(fuel, oil, engine,...), ....but for dials.........are U sure?

• 1 month later...

Hi MiniMarc,

did you have any luck opening the panel?

If so, could you answer your own question about how you did it?

I need to check side light indicator (which is working sometimes, depending on the outside temperature).

thanks

Hi MiniMarc,

did you have any luck opening the panel?

If so, could you answer your own question about how you did it?

I need to check side light indicator (which is working sometimes, depending on the outside temperature).

thanks

Unfortunately it got to the point where I felt like the plastic housing was about to crack, so I backed off and put it back in the car. I am still very interested in working out how to get inside it, but haven't had any luck yet. :'(