Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stearing Problem

wilson

hi i wonder if anyone can help

i own a 93 {k} celica gt4 import and i was driving down the road when i came to a round about, as i went around the power stearing pump {i think} began to squeel and stearing became very heavy. i made it home and turned the stearing wheel while static and it would hardly move and screamed. the fluid level is fine but i had the wheel off and saw there was fluid over the stearing rack gator and on all the pipes above. i cant locate the leak but there is fluid above the rack so i suspect somthing else. would a split pipe or dodgy joint cause this by drawing in air as the fluid seemed to bubble as i turned the srearing wheel or is it the pump. please help!!!!!! :help:

Tricky. Could be a damaged pipe. But remember the fluid is under presure so it`ll squirt out of wherever to just about anywhere. Suggest you clean the oil off. Put the car on axle stands and get someone to turn the steering (engine running) while you have a look. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Tricky. Could be a damaged pipe. But remember the fluid is under presure so it`ll squirt out of wherever to just about anywhere. Suggest you clean the oil off. Put the car on axle stands and get someone to turn the steering (engine running) while you have a look. Good luck. :thumbsup:

thanks for your sugestion but ive reluctantly taken it to a garage as the nights are drawing in and i dont have a garage any more. the garage has informed me that the rack has gone and fluid is spueing out, they say i wont get much change from £500 as the rack is about £180 and they cant get to it. it does look a big job but i need to find out what is involved. has anyone had to change one? if so what is involved.

I`ve not done one personally. But i`ve read its a sh*t of a job. Looking at it... If i were to do it. I think i`d drop all the crossmembers while supporting the engine from above You`d still have to lift and lower the engine a bit to get to it properly. You would also need to remove the propshaft and rear gearbox mount as well.

But it would still be prferable to paying a garage £300+ :crybaby:

I`ve not done one personally. But i`ve read its a sh*t of a job. Looking at it... If i were to do it. I think i`d drop all the crossmembers while supporting the engine from above You`d still have to lift and lower the engine a bit to get to it properly. You would also need to remove the propshaft and rear gearbox mount as well.

But it would still be prferable to paying a garage £300+ :crybaby:

i had a feeling it would be the case. but i looked at the on line manual and that says its just removing a covering plate underneath to access the rack. check out celicatech manual on line and see what you think.

I take it you mean This one

Looks too easy. :unsure:

I`ve just had a look at my Chilton and it`s as i first thought. Went and had a peer at my car and i don`t think you can get to the rack mounting bolts from the top and you will have problems underneath. Which one to believe is the problem. :unsure: Times like this you could really do with a two poster in the garage. :rolleyes:

I take it you mean This one

Looks too easy. :unsure:

I`ve just had a look at my Chilton and it`s as i first thought. Went and had a peer at my car and i don`t think you can get to the rack mounting bolts from the top and you will have problems underneath. Which one to believe is the problem. :unsure: Times like this you could really do with a two poster in the garage. :rolleyes:

thanks for taking the time to look under your car. i would have a look under mine but the mecanic has it locked away. :crybaby: i take it when you looked under yours there was no plate to remove as described in manual. also where can i pick up one of those chilton manuals.

I think they`re refering to the undertray. I got shot of mine ages ago. Tooooo heavy. :lol:

You can get chilton manuals Here & here :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ouch.. sounds like a git of a job..

Is the powersteering pump easy to replace as i may be having to do that in the future at some point.

I think they`re refering to the undertray. I got shot of mine ages ago. Tooooo heavy. :lol:

thanks again ill let you know how i get on. i take it with the undertray off its still a :censor: to get to.

Is the powersteering pump easy to replace as i may be having to do that in the future at some point.

Yeah thats ok. Couple of fiddly bolts but provided you got ten inch bendy fingers its not too bad. :lol:

thanks again ill let you know how i get on. i take it with the undertray off its still a :censor: to get to.

No problemo & Yep. :)

Yeah thats ok. Couple of fiddly bolts but provided you got ten inch bendy fingers its not too bad. :lol:

No problemo & Yep. :)

its all gone :censor: garage called this afternoon they said that the rack they got didnt match and that they couldnt get one. the only option is to send the old rack off to be reconditioned and it wont be back until next tuesday, or buy a new one from toyota {big bucks}. they said that it was because it is four wheel drive and said somthing about the u bolt, i dont know how true this is. so i was looking at 10 mile walks to work and back each way. but my forman said he will use his own car and gave me his works van :thumbsup: . has anyone heard of this problem with gt4 stearing racks, bearing in mind its a jap import

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links