Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Used Yaris

putnam

Hi..

I am new to the Toyota Yaris and I am going to look at a 1999 model (with 39000 mls on clock full history) on Friday as a second car for my wife..any help would be appreciated as what to look for in a used Yaris and any pitfalls...Thanks Mike

All Yaris' are generally very reliable and well built, you'll rarely find one that'll let you down....

Obviously full service history is a must, plus make sure you get it HPI checked as well :thumbsup:

Other than that, you should be pretty much on the way to a great little car, with low mileage too. Make sure you/your wife test drives the car as well to ensure no strange engine sounds etc plus might be worth getting a mechanic to check the car over as well, just to be on the safe side but generally, taking off the odd cabin squeek and leaky door seal, the Yaris is pretty flawless.

If you are buying from a dealership, make sure you get a warranty with it. It wont cover you for everything or general wear and tear items but if the car isnt as it should be, you have the warranty to fall back on :thumbsup:

They're pretty reliable these little Yarii.

Very seem to suffer from any major faults at all, and there's not really a common fault with them to worry about.

Some P2's suffered from whistling mirrors (although can't say mine does), and there's a few problems on P1's with door seals (no leaks as far as I'm aware though).

Toyota's in general suffer from the odd few rattles (windows, etc).

Other than that, a standard check over should do the trick.

Oh, and mine is for sale as well at the mow. ;)

Indeed. It's a testament to the Yaris that they don't seem to have a specific fault common to them all. Just adopt the usual common sense approach to buying any used car. Checking for oil over engine, steering play, brakes, gear changes, clutch, etc.

To be honest, a 39k mileage and a 1999 car shouldn't be a prob.

Hi I to am new to this forum. I have just purchased a Yaris GLS for my wife. I am looking to service this car and I am also looking to purchase a D4D for myself. I was just wondering if someone could tell me what to look for on the D4D common faults/problems. And also can someone tell me where the oil filter is hiding in the D4D engine bay. :(

Thanks

Can't help with the diesel I'm afraid - best ask AlanBradley about that.

When you say "you wanna service it?" Do you mean yourself, or a local dealership/ garage?

I've just bought a 2003 D4D

Watch for: engine bay neglect especially intercooler.. can have flattened fins.

MUST have full service history or the turbo may be damaged.

Apart from that and usual caveats about body/rattles, nothing.

The oil filter is hidden under the engine tray: there is a removable part of the cover under the drivers side front...: it is mounted beneath the alternator on the front lower end of the engine. Mine unscrewed by hand but access from underneath is limited: you may need an unscrewing tool if yours is tight. (Halfords sell a good range: before you buy check that you have seen the access on the Yaris as the hole underneath in the undertray is quite small ...)

You need ramps or a pit to access the filter from underneath. Not difficult. Not possible without ramps imo...or v difficult.

Also change pollen and air filters (my pollen filter looked original !)

I found minor engine bay corrosion which I treated with a rust convertor and now ok...

Great cars: even around town I get 57-60mpg...Blow off petrol Yaris anyday:-))

stone chips are a common problem nothing major though. i looked at a y reg t sport which had a fair few chips on the bonnet and the dealer refused to get them repaired properly so i didnt buy it.

Auto Express did an article two or three weeks ago on "Buying a used Yaris"

Fairly useful guide, although it neglects to mention the T2 variant when stating the newer models.

Never heard of the coolant-related problem either on non-diesels?