Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing High Level Brake Light

mobeyone

Guys,

Kind of stuck on how to change a light bulb!

I have an 02 previa cdx, rear center brake light has gone. Removed the screws and still would not come out...

DO you need to do anything to get the red cover off?

I was thinking of letting the stealer do it next week when the car goes in for a service but thought..... will they charge me for this?

• 3 weeks later...

the high level brake light is a bit of a bugger to get off. Once you remove the 2 screws underneathe, youll need something to pry the top out with. I used a flat metal ruler, inserted inbetween the spoiler and the top of the light then bend down carefull.

The top of the brake light has 2 legs which hook up onto the spoiler internally, chances are they may snap, but it will still go back in. It does take some force but once out, the bulb just twists out.

• 2 years later...
the high level brake light is a bit of a bugger to get off. Once you remove the 2 screws underneathe, youll need something to pry the top out with. I used a flat metal ruler, inserted inbetween the spoiler and the top of the light then bend down carefull.

The top of the brake light has 2 legs which hook up onto the spoiler internally, chances are they may snap, but it will still go back in. It does take some force but once out, the bulb just twists out.

Thanks P11GT!! This really helped me out. I have a 2002 Previa and I could not find any info in the owners manual about this 3rd brake light housing removal...:-( Your explaination did the trick :-)

The 2 legs are about 1inch in from either side, along the top. I used a thin piece of metal (in a think plasic bag to help prevent any bodywork damage) and gently leavered out the housing downwards until "POP" the leg came out. Then did the same the other side.

Thanks again :-)

TC

• 6 years later...

I hope this help. I had mine replaced recently. And after reading some instructions here. What I did after removing the 2 screws at the bottom is to push the light housing at the bottom until it pops into the spoiler housing and the rest is as easy as instructed above.

Cheers.

• 10 months later...

Yes its very difficult to get the high level light unit out. The problem is those lugs at the top. (The screws come out easily.)

I had to prise the top of the spoiler up enough where the lug was so that it cleared the lug allowing it to come forward - same on the other side.

My bulb was a wire-ended one - took it to Halfords and the chap their found me the same one. Easy to refit.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the info Guys. Only thing that I can add are these photos which would have made my life easier if I'd seen them before spending over 45 mins trying to carefully take out the damn light! Cheers

image.thumb.png.c78847fff201791ec48f755ff4e73f58.png

image.thumb.png.bc3dcd040db8d2097bc678d45a7263f2.png

image.thumb.png.2f110061a4ee10cb57ba2a0563688225.pngThanks Guys, 

• 1 year later...

Picture does worth 1000 words. thanks for the pic.