Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota By Design...

Caz SR

I was reviewing the Paris Motor Show photographs today and something struck me; Somehow the new Toyota line up seems to have evolved into a collection of bulbous, bug-eyed vehicles that make the words 'aggressive styling' seem like a valuable addition to TOC's swear filter, for fear of scaring them away.

This new phase particularly started with the launch of the Aygo - a fun looking, cheap to run car aimed at the 20 something. The success of the design was responsible for pushing sales up by 5.3% in Europe. But does that mean every new car will follow suit? It appears so. Take a look at the new Yaris and you'll see a car larger than it's predecessor, but also twice as rounded and without a single 'move out of my way' line. Then there's the Auris (not sure what it will be called in the UK), which adopts the same design principles (the huge headlamps, fat backside, rounded bumpers - something akin to a cutesy Anime character).

Tokuo ********uichi, president of Toyota's European design center has been quoted as saying Toyota's market share in Europe was 'Held back by weak design'. So is this the answer? Are the new bulbous shapes therefore a pioneer of 'strong design'?

Apparently, the new line up was inspired by:

...Europe's politics, its social ambitions, its daily routines, and even its pets...

I can't help thinking that if this had been uttered in the 80's to early 90's, the perpetrator would have been laughed out of the boardroom!

So what do you think about Toyota's new design 'revolution'? Fun, exciting and innovative? Or does it leave you cold?

2006 Paris Motor Show

EDIT - Will someone PLEASE sort out the swear filter!!!!!!!!!!

I think the Auris is a strange beast, it doesnt seem to know really what it is, and as a result looks a bit messy. Compared to its peers, the VW Golf, Ford Focus etc it doesnt seem as clean and crisp in its design and doesnt really make you go "oooooh"

And as for the gold.... very clever Toyota with the whole "au" thing, but it looks terrible, just the colour puts me off. It may look better in a different colour, but the whole gold theme is a little tacky IMO.

The new Yaris I like, because its quirky and a bit different, same as the previous Yaris when it was released back in 1999. The Clio & Corsa look like twins at a distance and most small cars have little to no individuality. The Yaris does seem to have that and although it suffers from "bug-eyed" ness, its still more endearing than the Auris. Yaris TS - lovely looking car, shame about the figures.... very poor indeed for a "sports" model.

Most car manufacturers tend to mimic design through the ranges, like the new Corsa looking like a baby Astra. They purposely do this so that people know the range. Personally I prefer things that look different and I think its a testament to good design rather than "ooh lets make a carbon copy of a good-selling model"

The Aygo is quite possibly the most promising car in Toyotas current and future line-up. Really that honour should go to the Auris, as a family hatch, but I really dont think it'll sell well and I really dont think it'll be any match for the Corolla brand it replaces. They should have kept the Corolla name, thats just my opinion though.... :shutit:

So what do you think about Toyota's new design 'revolution'? Fun, exciting and innovative?

Retarded.....

Bring back flamboyant GT cars, turbos, pop up headlamps and something thats appealing... :thumbsup:

It's why i stick to toyota's pre 1994... :lol:

I mean just look at the links in my signature.. :P

It's why i stick to toyota's pre 1994... :lol:

I mean just look at the links in my signature.. :P

I thought it was because you were like me.... Poverty stricken. :P :lol:

But you`re dead right Fizz. Anything from 93 (in my case) on is pants Possibly Mk4 Soop & the off roaders are the exception. :thumbsup:

I'm quite undecided, part of me thinks that it's a sign of the times but then some of it looks like they've been designed on a Monday Morning... :unsure:

Nothing there that I would aspire to own, all look like silly cars to me. :blink:

Erm.. dont you driver a silly car? :rolleyes:

Its not just toyota either , how many cars made in the last 2 years (affordable) would you admit to owning ? one...two maybe

I think the new Yaris has conformed to modern styling (e.g. has become more like the others.. (VW Golf?) in its recent reincarnation....

IMO its moved away from what it originally was... 'Different'

I havent seen this Auris... (I did own a Gold Yaris tho lol)

and I too am not a fan of the current Toyota Range... sticking to my '92 ;)

Bug eye headlights???? On a toyota????? Never!!!!!!

dd47572930_t.jpg :!Removed!:

I do totally agree though... its all gone to pot.... I thought the gen 7 celica looked ok, it was just let down by the fact that it was to all intents and purposes, a wet blanket...

1. Euro-ncap pedestrian safety scores.

2. The windtunnel.

Paul.

1. Euro-ncap pedestrian safety scores.

2. The windtunnel.

Paul.

boring.jpg

as if the older toyotas ever had the aerodynamics of a wardrobe, besides all the research they put into making the yaris do an extra 0.00000000003 exp321 MPG in a wind tunnel could have been put forward to something high performance........... oh sorry did i just swear :o dont tell toyota ;)

NCAP.... hippys

I like the new Yaris design..........................that is one of the reasons I bought it.

I think the Auris is following the "Toyota family" look that is the current design trend.

As said above .............just wait and see. Toyota have never been afraid of being different and breaking ground with "different" design..............................that is the way forward and why they sell so many cars worldwide.

Today......Tomorrow............TOYOTA............(Now where have I heard that?? ;) )

as if the older toyotas ever had the aerodynamics of a wardrobe, besides all the research they put into making the yaris do an extra 0.00000000003 exp321 MPG in a wind tunnel could have been put forward to something high performance........... oh sorry did i just swear :o dont tell toyota ;)

:lol:

Although, to slightly hijack Caz' thread a bit, what is the fastest (acceleration, top speed---it is the same car) Toyota on sale today?

You can't say the Corolla Compressor, the Celica T Sport or the MR2 Roadster as they are all out of production.

I presume Toyota won't let this situation last forever, but they are taking their time over the (hybrid?) replacement premium sports car.

Paul.

trust me when you have seen as much of the auris as i have it does grow on you. and the interior is spot on. just give it a chance.

personaly there are a lot of cars that when they came out i thought looked naff, gen 7 selica included but now i think the look very nice.

its the old thing that ppl dont like change.

oh and i belive the 4.0 petrol land cruieser is the quickest yota

According to Toyota it is the Avensis diesel.

Paul.

According to Toyota it is the Avensis diesel.

Paul.

Really? :!Removed!: :lol: Don't think so! Not on a cold morning at any rate. :P

Going back to the design of new Toyotas; I can see what they're doing with the design. They all have characteristics in common with each other and to be honest, they don't look any worse than any new, affordable cars produced by anyone. If I were going to buy a new car, I would still be looking at Toyota first.

Besides, how many people bought the Yaris and the Aygo because they were different and quirky? Got to say though, the Aygo Sport, the one without any doors... You're gonna get covered in s*** on any day that's not baking hot and the first lorry that overtakes you is going to blow you out of the car. ;)

I call petrol LC... I think the Corolla Verso T180 is next iirc.

As regards the "new look" - well, its okay but I find that I'm at a bit of a gap in the Toyota lineup at the moment. I've done "first couple of cars being small hatchbacks". I'm not over 25 so the insurance isn't silly and have no ties (sprogs, pets, etc.) that would mean I had to have something practical like a Corolla or a RAV. What do I want? A small coupé or convertible. Something sporty yet with enough space to carry an overnight bag. What is there? Sweet FA.

I want something along the lines of an MX-5. Smallish, nippy, balanced yet with a soupcon of everyday useability. It doesn't have to be "oh shoot*" powerful but it should be, well, brisk. Oh yeah, and I want to buy it new.

I just don't know what to replace my current car with. I really don't... :(

A

PS Why does the facelifted Avensis pout? It looks like a fat bird with too much lipstick on...

* when I get taken to court for deserting this site I will call that flaming swer filter as the first witness :ffs:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links