Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox

tsportkid

Hi everyone, how many of you have had attention to your gearbox whilst you have owned your t sport.

I need to know as my ts is in the dealers at the moment with the gearbox stripped. :crybaby:

hows it going.

I had to leave mine in a few months back (car would have been about 6 months old) after i found an odd vqueaky noise coming from the bay when driving. :angry:

The noise went away when i pressed the clutch in, even a little bit, so i knew it was probably related.

Garage took it in and replaced the clutch bearing in an afternoon for me. Covered under warranty thankfully so alls well in the end :thumbsup: . I do think that this is a common problem though judging by what the machanic said.

Are they doing your repair under warranty too?

hows it going.

I had to leave mine in a few months back (car would have been about 6 months old) after i found an odd vqueaky noise coming from the bay when driving. :angry:

The noise went away when i pressed the clutch in, even a little bit, so i knew it was probably related.

Garage took it in and replaced the clutch bearing in an afternoon for me. Covered under warranty thankfully so alls well in the end :thumbsup: . I do think that this is a common problem though judging by what the machanic said.

Are they doing your repair under warranty too?

Yes although through an extended warranty as the car is 3.5 years old. It had a new clutch in it when I bought it and this week the dealer has replaced the release bearing which has cured one noise. The gearbox strip is due to a failure of a small plastic component which prevents the gear train moving inside the casing. This has caused excess wear on some of the gears and the baulk rings.

hi,

ive had a new clutch and pressure plate due to sticky gearchange and a fishy smell in reverse.

ive had new box bearings due noise on engine braking... but did not cure it... think they were guessing... :eek:

all ok now though... and the noise on engine braking is still there but apparently a characteristic of the car? ?

unless anyone knows any different? :thumbsup:

bert

hi,

ive had a new clutch and pressure plate due to sticky gearchange and a fishy smell in reverse.

ive had new box bearings due noise on engine braking... but did not cure it... think they were guessing... :eek:

all ok now though... and the noise on engine braking is still there but apparently a characteristic of the car? ?

unless anyone knows any different? :thumbsup:

bert

Picked my car up yesterday after new bearings were fitted. There is still some noise there but its better than before. Are you getting a vibration thru the clutch pedal at 3 to 4000 rpm cause I am and its doing my brain in. Also it appears that the dealer did not check the clutch hydraulic system for air as I cant engage 5th or 6th gear without force unless I have been moving in slow traffic! :ffs:

mines been fine since the new clutch, i never struggle with gear changing at all.

:thumbsup: bert

Hi Guys don't mean to steal the thread here.... but got a bit of a noise myself when the engines braking.

Its a kind of grating/whiney noise. I've had it since i've had the car in January (always though it was a characteristic of the car) but its gettin a bit loud now and i think its due to the cold. I get it instantly after i back of the accelerator, and when shes rolling down a hill and i'm letting the engine hold the speed.

Anyway I noticed Berts thread where he had a noise under engine braking and am not sure if anybody else does!!! If so anybody have an idea if its a common character of the car or it is a problem with gearbox/engine

Plus its getting to be a git to get into reverse and it grates even with clutch practically through the floor-board!!!

Thanks Guys Help appreciated!!!

rolley if you have warrenty take it back to dealer they will have a go fixing the problem by replacing your complete clutch unit,if they are being stupid just tell them to go check with toyota GB this is a well know problem on the corolla tsport that should shut them up and will do as their told :D .

Hi Guys don't mean to steal the thread here.... but got a bit of a noise myself when the engines braking.

Its a kind of grating/whiney noise. I've had it since i've had the car in January (always though it was a characteristic of the car) but its gettin a bit loud now and i think its due to the cold. I get it instantly after i back of the accelerator, and when shes rolling down a hill and i'm letting the engine hold the speed.

Anyway I noticed Berts thread where he had a noise under engine braking and am not sure if anybody else does!!! If so anybody have an idea if its a common character of the car or it is a problem with gearbox/engine

Plus its getting to be a git to get into reverse and it grates even with clutch practically through the floor-board!!!

Thanks Guys Help appreciated!!!

Yeah mine does this - had to to the dealers who acknowledged the noise was there but just said let it develop - that was a few months back and it have to admit it is getting worse - so I think I'm going back before the warranty runs out....

rolley if you have warrenty take it back to dealer they will have a go fixing the problem by replacing your complete clutch unit,if they are being stupid just tell them to go check with toyota GB this is a well know problem on the corolla tsport that should shut them up and will do as their told :D .

Yeah mine does this - had to to the dealers who acknowledged the noise was there but just said let it develop - that was a few months back and it have to admit it is getting worse - so I think I'm going back before the warranty runs out....

Thanxs for the replys!!!

Not sure where i will stand with warranty because bought the car in jan and it had 6 months manufacturers warranty left and the toyota dealer i bought it from said they'd add another 6 months to it!!! So it could be on there terms or under written through Toyota GB warranty!!! I'll keep you posted!!!

Thanxs again for the replys!!!

Thanxs for the replys!!!

Not sure where i will stand with warranty because bought the car in jan and it had 6 months manufacturers warranty left and the toyota dealer i bought it from said they'd add another 6 months to it!!! So it could be on there terms or under written through Toyota GB warranty!!! I'll keep you posted!!!

Thanxs again for the replys!!!

just got mine back from local dealer for exactly the same problem. They have replaced some gears bearings and baulk rings. Bad idea as today third gear synchro has just decided to go awol, thats after not being able to get 5th or 6th without forcing it into gear. I was told on Friday afternoon I had to live with it until 5th and 6th bedded in, which could take up to 3 months!. Anyway i'll be going back tomorrow as third synchro has as I said dissapeared. !Removed! Toyota :ffs:

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, how many of you have had attention to your gearbox whilst you have owned your t sport.

I need to know as my ts is in the dealers at the moment with the gearbox stripped. :crybaby:

My T Sport is also in the dealers right now with its gearbox stripped, i would like to know and will hopefully find out soon what the problem is.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links