Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeeking Belt!

Whitey7

Hi. I have one very annoying issue with our recently purchased VX VVT-i 2.0.

We have a squeeking Auxilary (serpentine) belt. It does not look perished and if I spray a bit of WD40 on the back (Smooth) side of the belt, it disappears for a very short while. However, if I spray the tensioner (while it's making the noise) it wil also disappear.

Anyone had similar issues :help: . Went to Toyota and they wanted a shocking £50+vat for the belt alone and a further "100+vat for the tensioner should it need one :eek: . Thats me fitting it all.

I believe the tesioner is sprung loaded but I'm not convinced the belt is not out of true (mis-alighned) in some way?

any info would be good. It sounds like a sick canary under the bonnet. Quitens down a little when hot but it's very loud when cold :ffs: .

Cheers

Trevor

Hi. I have one very annoying issue with our recently purchased VX VVT-i 2.0.

We have a squeeking Auxilary (serpentine) belt. It does not look perished and if I spray a bit of WD40 on the back (Smooth) side of the belt, it disappears for a very short while. However, if I spray the tensioner (while it's making the noise) it wil also disappear.

Anyone had similar issues :help: . Went to Toyota and they wanted a shocking £50+vat for the belt alone and a further "100+vat for the tensioner should it need one :eek: . Thats me fitting it all.

I believe the tesioner is sprung loaded but I'm not convinced the belt is not out of true (mis-alighned) in some way?

any info would be good. It sounds like a sick canary under the bonnet. Quitens down a little when hot but it's very loud when cold :ffs: .

Cheers

Trevor

Hi Trevor

I never heard of a tensioner that you could silence by spraying WD40 on it as the bearing is quite enclosed. I'm inclined to think that some of the spray is getting on the belt which is making it quiet.

It is not uncommon for belts to creak with age. I usually identify it by pouring a small amount of water on the belt while it is turning.

The belts tend to stiffen with age and become a little bit less compliant. It is usually more of an annoyance than a problem but it if it gets to you enough then I think the belt alone will cure it. If in the unlikely event that it needs the tensionor then you probably should change the belt with it anyway.

You don't have to get the belt from Toyota so I would have a phone around and order a "Gates" belt from a decent Motor Factor. They tend to supply a lot of manufacturers as the original equipment anyway.

If you are not so familiar with changing this type of belt then I suggest that before removing it you either make a quick sketch of how it goes around the pully's or take a digital photo as it may not be so obvious how it goes back once you have taken it off! Those belts work by wrapping around a large part of the pully diameter but not under so much tension as a conventional belt and you will find it is huge once you get it off!

If you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself then call at one of the more trustworthy local garages and get them price the supply and fit of a replacement quality belt.

Good Luck.

Thanks for that prompt reply

Good point about the tensioner bearing being enclosed.

looking at the back of the belt (which runs on the tensioner), it has a brownish discolouration to it. If I clean it with a cloth, I get quite a heavy residue off it. I'm beginning to think that it's a kind of Glazing to the belts outer surfice which is causing the noise. I reckon' I'll change the belt and see what the difference is. If it don't cure it, I'll dig deeper.

Cheers again :thumbsup:

Trevor

I've done loads of rav serpentine belts at work due to squeaking.

As said they get dry/glazed when they get older. Sometimes you can spray some silicon spray onto it to keep it quiet for a few months.

Its not too hard to change them if you have a long 19mm spanner. just make a sketch on how its routed. Might be a bit of a tight squeeze getting new one on but should be fine.

There was a bulletin at work about rav power steering pumps/alternators being out of alignment slightly, we had to add small washers/spacers to bring it into alignment. It was only 1-2mm out though.

Mart

There was a bulletin at work about rav power steering pumps/alternators being out of alignment slightly, we had to add small washers/spacers to bring it into alignment. It was only 1-2mm out though.

Mart

Hi Mart. Thanks for that. Interesting about the alignment. Can you remember, was that on the deisels or petrols? i will buy a new belt and see how it behaves from there.

Thanks for all the info, it's what these forums are all about.

Trevor

• 4 weeks later...

My Rav is a d4d Jan 2003.

I posted a few horror stories ages ago.

Yes Mart is right The steering pump was out of alignment and four washers were added to silence the canary.

It was only done after I told the experts of the toyota publication.

Problem solved after30 months.

(I wonder if there should be more training for the toyota technicians)

Ramdeom :yahoo:

Hi,

Purchased our 03 Rav4 Diesel a couple of weeks ago and the two annoying sounds have developed. firstly a squeaking sound. I have identified that to the pulley belt that goes around the power steering pump, I sprayed a bit of WD40 on it and it stopped for a few mins.

The second sound is a clunk from the front right wheel when the vehicle is cold and we change from forward to reverse or vice versa. In other words, if I drive forwards slowly and touch the brakes then I hear this clunk, i drive forwards any more and brake the sound has gone, if I then drive backwards and touch the brakes I hear the clunk again, any repeated manouvres backwards does not make it clunk, if I then move forwards and brake it clunks again. I rang Toyota and they suggested that the brake pads might be simply moving slightly and that there was a special grease for this available ???????.

So, firstly, The belt. I have purchased a replacement Gates belt (as Toyota said it would not be covered under the Toyota warranty). I have looked at it and there aint much room. It looks like there is a nut in the middle of the pully situated below the power steering pulley that needs slackening first and then a long threaded adjuster (14mm) at 90 degrees to the pulleys to slacken or tighten the belt. How the devil am I supposed to get on this pulley centre nut with such limmited clearance ????

Secondly, has anyone heard of the brake noise that I mention and how to sort it.

Any suggestions please on either item.

Ian

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links