Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Security On Aygo!

sjnwuk

Just discovered this worrying fact this morning when I went to start my Aygo, that 'scroates' had managed to open the driver's door, activating the alarm and allowing them entry to steal worthless copies of CD's and and a gym bag (in the boot), without so much of a scratch anywhere!!

A friend in the 'know'... he's a mechanic not a thief..btw...lol, tells me that alarmed or not thieves can open the door quite easily without so much as smashing any glass or damaging any locks.! He explained how but I'm not going to reveal ! :o

Anyway, I thought all you Aygo owners ought to know! :(

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sjnwuk

• T V O R

• Boro Sera

• adilmon

I think Aygo owners ought to know this fact so that they are aware and take all precautions to keep their cars safe.

Yes it was in the newspaper that the Aygo is an easy car to break into. The next stage for me is to buy an alarm for my Aygo that alerts my mobile phone.

And I think I know how you would get in without the keys as I have done it for a mate when he locked his keys inside once on his N reg fiesta.

Yes it was in the newspaper that the Aygo is an easy car to break into. The next stage for me is to buy an alarm for my Aygo that alerts my mobile phone.

And I think I know how you would get in without the keys as I have done it for a mate when he locked his keys inside once on his N reg fiesta.

I was very suprised that it took my mechanic mate just 30 secs to open it without a trace of a scratch, physical damage anywhere on the driver's door.

Of course most toe rags won't worry about damage so it's 3 seconds with the ninja rocks - no car is safe these days :ffs:

Yep, my car was broke into last week. No sign of entry, but my sat nav and ipod gone, even though they where in the little cubby under the steering wheel. Any one PM me with info on how they did this as i am not happy :angry:

I suppose I should be grateful to the toe rags that my car came away undamaged!

Based on what has happend to my Aygo this weekend, I think I shall not bother upgrading my car stereo which I had planned to do, in the near future. :censor:

Sounds disturbing to say the least - is there a way to prevent this?

If someone knows specifically what the security weakness is please let me know by pm - i will then send it on to any legitimate member who requests it here - that way genuine Aygo owners can be made aware of the issue but scrotes reading the site won’t stumble across it.

Good idea ?

Steve

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this happening? (Or does the answer to this question also give details of how it's done?)

Surely Toyota should be doing something about this - a brand such as theirs shouldn't have such simple loopholes in their security?????

Duncan

I don't want to give too much away but it's so simple it's 'disturbing'.... All I can say is that you do not need any special tools. It involves using an item that we all have in our homes!

With regards to 'prevention', from what I've seen, although an alarm is pretty useless in this case, it's still better to have one fitted than not.

Without stating the obvious, my only advice would be to make sure your car is parked within visible distance(if poss), or somewhere where there are other cars parked in a well lit, congested area.

I certainly won't be leaving my laptop in the boot for sure, now!!

I remember the days of the Scorpio/tennis ball trick - I thought that car manufacturers took security a bit more seriously nowadays.

For anyone buying a new car it's surely of concern.

If someone knows specifically what the security weakness is please let me know by pm - i will then send it on to any legitimate member who requests it here - that way genuine Aygo owners can be made aware of the issue but scrotes reading the site won’t stumble across it.

But it's useless information unless there is a fix. Mind you, I suppose if you accidentally lock your keys in by mistake ...

Paul.

But it's useless information unless there is a fix. Mind you, I suppose if you accidentally lock your keys in by mistake ...

Paul.

If responsible, legitimate owners know the problem then there's always the chance that someone will figure out a way to improve security, to everyone's benefit . Necessity being the mother of invention and all that.

There was a similar issue with one of my old cars, but we figured out the problem and resolved it.

If responsible, legitimate owners know the problem then there's always the chance that someone will figure out a way to improve security, to everyone's benefit . Necessity being the mother of invention and all that.

Just because I own an Aygo doesn't mean I should know how to break into anybody else's Aygo.

Paul.

Just because I own an Aygo doesn't mean I should know how to break into anybody else's Aygo.

Paul.

I appreciate that. The point I was making was that concerns have been highlighted regarding a security issue. If owners are aware of this ( and concerned enough ) then someone may come up with a solution.

The information itself is neutral - it only becomes good or bad depending on how it's acted on .

On the other hand Paul, if you know how to get in to your own car then you don't have to call the RAC out if you lock your keys in it !

Just discovered this worrying fact this morning when I went to start my Aygo, that 'scroates' had managed to open the driver's door, activating the alarm and allowing them entry to steal worthless copies of CD's and and a gym bag (in the boot), without so much of a scratch anywhere!!

A friend in the 'know'... he's a mechanic not a thief..btw...lol, tells me that alarmed or not thieves can open the door quite easily without so much as smashing any glass or damaging any locks.! He explained how but I'm not going to reveal ! :o

sorry to hear about the breaking and entering, I can't believe that Toyota are still not taking security seriously, they will start to get a rep for this which will become a halo given the fact they are revising all the ranges :( I suggest you go back to dealer and say the car is not fit for purpose and what are :censor: THEY going to do about it, get on to regional Toyota rep (there are some Mr T people on the boards I think)

sorry to hear about the breaking and entering, I can't believe that Toyota are still not taking security seriously, they will start to get a rep for this which will become a halo given the fact they are revising all the ranges :( I suggest you go back to dealer and say the car is not fit for purpose and what are :censor: THEY going to do about it, get on to regional Toyota rep (there are some Mr T people on the boards I think)

UPDATE: Spoke to a Toyota Dealer about the incident by telephone, today. They said they were completely 'Suprised' to hear that this could have possibly happend to a brand new, modern Toyota in their current range. They had the complete audacity to insult me by asking the question whether or not I'd forgotten to 'lock it' before I left the vehicle overnight!! :censor:

I quickly put them in their shoes by 'telling' them that they ought to know the full specs of their vehicles before asking daft, insulting questions! The Aygo Sport, like the + model have full central locking and the alarm system which they fitted as standard for the Aygos they sell, have auto passive arming -meaning for those who don't know, the alarm activates itself after 10 secs of someone leaving the aygo and forgetting to activate the alarm via the key fob. Incidently, I always double check that the doors have been properly locked by pulling on the driver's door as a precaution after activating the alarm by fob. Sat night was no exception btw! PLUS I informed them that the alarm 'memory' via the led on the dash flashed twice indicating unlawful entry via driver's door whilst alarm was activated.

The dealer was speechless!! :yes:

They said they would look into it but I wouldn't hold my breath....will report back if I get any positive/negative feedback, folks.

Anyone concerned enough, please speak to your own dealers. Comments are welcomed on this thread I think, from readers and myself included.

I really hate the knee-***** reaction of 'you must have done something wrong'. As though it were inconceivable that their car might not be absolutely infallible.

Good idea ?

Steve

Yes that is a good idea - has anyone done that pm thing?

The Aygo doesn't have an alarm, just an immobiliser - or so I thought!

The immobiliser will be switched on/off only by putting a correctly coded transponder key into the ignition. That is, you can't just have a key that is ct the same as the real one, it has to have the correct coil in it.

Hi all, this is my first post since buying my Aygo, I'm very interested in finding out about the issue as discussed, if it is as I expect then there is a simple solution that should take the average DIY'er 30mins or less to do - although I hope Toyota GB are tuning in to this website.

Can someone mail me personally, and I will also respond via PM

cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links