Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Headlight Bulb

dave bell

Hello

I have a 2003 Avensis 1.8VVT-i T3-X and have just had a headlight replaced under warranty due to the lampholder on the original fitting disintergrating when I tried to change the bulb. My Toyota dealer wanted to charge me £20.00+ to fit a new bulb in the new fitting. I declined this kind offer and asked them to fit a bulb which I had already purchased at Halfords (55W 12V) but they refused saying that the Toyota bulb was a 'special' and if I fitted anything other than the Toyota bulb then they could not guarantee the headlight. Does anyone know if the the Toyota bulb is 'special' and if so what makes it so? (I was advised by the Toyota dealer that the bulb they wanted to fit was a 55W 12V - exactly the same rating as the Halfords one!)

Hi Dave, I'm surprised they tried to charge you at all for the fitting. When I bought my Avensis from Mr T 6 months ago, still under warranty, I was told that they would replace bulbs free of charge. They shrugged it off as if it was a very minor thing that wasn't worth the hassle of a reciept! As for the bulb being special as far as I know (and I'm no engineer) the only thing that is different with these 'consumables' is the brand name when they are like for like. Although you can understand the dealer as regards the guarantee, they are following policy from their own insurance when it comes to only guaranteeing Toyota branded stuff. However it does sound to me like your dealer is being a bit tight. Regards. Hobbster.

Hi Dave, I'm surprised they tried to charge you at all for the fitting. When I bought my Avensis from Mr T 6 months ago, still under warranty, I was told that they would replace bulbs free of charge. They shrugged it off as if it was a very minor thing that wasn't worth the hassle of a reciept! As for the bulb being special as far as I know (and I'm no engineer) the only thing that is different with these 'consumables' is the brand name when they are like for like. Although you can understand the dealer as regards the guarantee, they are following policy from their own insurance when it comes to only guaranteeing Toyota branded stuff. However it does sound to me like your dealer is being a bit tight. Regards. Hobbster.

Thanks for the response Hobbster, I am struggling to see how two bulbs, both rated at 55W 12V, can perform differently from each other - my main concern is that the Halfords bulb will generate more heat and therefore have a detrimental effect on the headlamp housing. When I challenged my dealer on this point they did not have a clear answer as to what the difference between the bulbs is - I'm of the opinion they were just tryng to get £20.00 out of me.

I found that the Toyota standard bulbs were very dull and so bought Philips 50% brighter bulbs (same 55W 12v rating) and got my Toyota dealer to fit them; cost £35.21 incl. VAT. Took about 45 minutes to fit, but they only charged me for 0.5 labour as that's what they quoted me. Just shows that a Toyota trained technician even takes 45 mins. to change 2 bulbs. Toyota bulbs are unlikely to be special as they're probably rebranded Philips, Osram, etc. bulbs. The only concern is that because the headlamp covers are plastic, the bulbs you fit must be compatible with plastic covers i.e. minimal UV. UV destroys the plastic.

when took my car in they said they had to take the bumper off to change the bulb.

My dealer would not admit changing the headlight bulbs was a problem when I purchased the car new. I have had new headlights and bulb holders fitted free under warranty. So far I have not had a bulb failure.

My son has had 2 bulb failures on his 03 Avensis; the dealer charged him about £80 to change a bulb each time. Reason given was front bumber had to be removed.

Shame such a good car has this maintenance problem built in by Toyota which we the customer have to pay for.

I cannot think there would be any difference between a Halfords bulb and one supplied by Toyota. It is the ratings that matter not the manufacturer of the bulb.

Sadly your dealer is right. You can change the bulbs without removing the headlight, but you need an extra joint in your fingers that goes the other way to the rest and super strong wrists. The headlight rear cover is almost impossible to refit due to insufficient clearance at the back of the headlight. It's quicker to remove the front bumper to take out the headlight to change the bulb. Then the rear cover refits quite easily. We (technicians) get 1.1 hours to remove and refit the front bumper and replace a headlight bulb.

The reason for not fitting customers own bulbs is that there is no profit in them. Regards Ray

My dealer's technician changed my two bulbs in 45 minutes, without taking off the bumper and I was charged £35.21 incl. VAT. I watched him fit the bulbs. He certainly looked as though he was swearing a lot whilst doing it. I would argue with your dealer if they insisted on charging for 1.1 hours labour to fit one bulb. It's bad enough that it's so awkward to change the bulbs, but do they expect you to remove the bumper by the side of the road to change a bulb if one suddenly goes "pop" when you're driving? In some mainland european countries it's mandatory to carry a spare set of bulbs and to replace them immediately if one fails. How can this be achieved with the Avensis and indeed a lot of modern, short engine compartment cars?

No way can you change an Avensis headlight bulb quickly by the roadside. You have to break the law and get home as best you can. Do not know if the police would accept the explanation that you cannot replace the headlight bulb. Would the RAC come out and tow you home I doubt it? It is a bad design by Toyota and should have been given more thought on the pre production car. It is one thing that lets the car down with regard to maintenance rectification.

These headlights are disaster. I'm goin to have to pay 500 euro to get both replaced as light output is now dangerous (and this is with xenon kit installed). On mine bulb holder has disintergrated on passenger side and have now no reflective coating on either side. On country roads have to use front fogs which I hate doing.

Going to take this up with Toyota Ireland as dealer says car is out of warranty.

• 1 year later...
No way can you change an Avensis headlight bulb quickly by the roadside. You have to break the law and get home as best you can. Do not know if the police would accept the explanation that you cannot replace the headlight bulb. Would the RAC come out and tow you home I doubt it? It is a bad design by Toyota and should have been given more thought on the pre production car. It is one thing that lets the car down with regard to maintenance rectification.

To change an Avensis Low Beam bulb it is helpful to have a broad bladed screwdriver, a pair of long nosed pliers and for the nearside a 10mm spanner. First remove the plastic covers over the Battery and radiator etc. Remove the headlight inner cover by turning it anti-clockwise with a finger on the projecting tab. Bend the filler tube of the washer bottle gently inwards and with the pliers remove the cover. Prise off the connecter using the screwdriver. Release the spring catch and with the pliers remove the bulb. Replace in reverse taking care to align the marks on the cover before offering it with the pliers. On the nearside the Battery clamp must be removed using the 10mm spanner and the Battery lifted up and moved to the left. I replaced my H7 bulbs with new xenon bulbs in 30 mins.

To change an Avensis Low Beam bulb it is helpful to have a broad bladed screwdriver, a pair of long nosed pliers and for the nearside a 10mm spanner. First remove the plastic covers over the Battery and radiator etc. Remove the headlight inner cover by turning it anti-clockwise with a finger on the projecting tab. Bend the filler tube of the washer bottle gently inwards and with the pliers remove the cover. Prise off the connecter using the screwdriver. Release the spring catch and with the pliers remove the bulb. Replace in reverse taking care to align the marks on the cover before offering it with the pliers. On the nearside the Battery clamp must be removed using the 10mm spanner and the Battery lifted up and moved to the left. I replaced my H7 bulbs with new xenon bulbs in 30 mins.

You may find that what is 'special' about the toyota bulbs is that they are low temperature 'E.Q.' bulbs. If the lamp is made virtually all of plastic, standard bulbs get too hot. Low temperature bulbs are available from other suppliers, not just Toyota. Check it out in the handbook for the bulb specification or ask at a reliable motor parts supplier to check in their applications list.

Cannot advise you on type of bulb to buy just to many on the market. But fitment of bulbs does not require removal of complete bumper, n/s/f bulb is reasonably straight forward to change as you have room to get your hands in to space behind headlamp. Your o/s/f bulb is a different matter, you do have to loosen o/s section of bumper & headlamp. And with a bit of time you can get your hands in behind headlamp to change bulb.

To aven_man, move west my friend. Come over to T.Hogans particulary the Ennis branch, you get no crap from them & they cannot do enough to help you. More of a laid back attitude, this relates to all aspects of car have a smaller clientel so happy customers keep coming back. I ordered a 35w HID CE approved kit from the UK with low output bulbs 6000k & as you can imagine we have no street lights here being country roads & i very seldom use high beams now if ever. They are slightly brighter than originals & blind no one, have run them for a couple of years now with no problems. Also sailed straight throigh NCT without a bother. If i can find invoice i will post company name with website.

Sadly your dealer is right. You can change the bulbs without removing the headlight, but you need an extra joint in your fingers that goes the other way to the rest and super strong wrists. The headlight rear cover is almost impossible to refit due to insufficient clearance at the back of the headlight. It's quicker to remove the front bumper to take out the headlight to change the bulb. Then the rear cover refits quite easily. We (technicians) get 1.1 hours to remove and refit the front bumper and replace a headlight bulb.

The reason for not fitting customers own bulbs is that there is no profit in them. Regards Ray

This really is absolutely ridiculous! 1.1 hours to change a bulb!

Fortunately with the Verso you can change all 4 headlight bulbs without removing anything. The only problem is that it uses HB3 and HB4 bulbs which are expensive and difficult to get hold off. Also the choice (+50%, NightGuide etc.) is very limited.

I see now that instead of complaining about the higher price (almost double an H7 bulb) I should be very happy.

By the way, the standard bulbs in my Verso are from Sylvania which is Osram, I know because I took one out to check the type.

I wonder how these designers change a bulb at home? Can you imagine what happens if the bulb in the living room blows:

Go upstairs, move bed, pull up carpet, remove floor boards, open lamp holder, change bulb, put everything back!!!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it will become European law that bulb replacement must be able to be done by the owner at the road side, so hopefully this situation will be resolved eventually. Strange however that we need legislation for common sense.

Perhaps I should keep my mouth shut and patent the idea, but what about being able to change the bulbs from the front. You know, remove glass (2~3 screws) change bulb, replace glass. Total time 3 minutes!

Andy.

Anybody struggling with Avensis front lighting (if you think light produced is ineffective) you could try HIDS4U.co.uk. Very good website with people who know what they are talking about. They have a CE marked 35w kit, which if used in conjunction with a lower temp bulb kit ( my case 6000k) gives a clear white light with a good light spread, unlike nasty yellow tinged bulbs fitted as standard. They also sell a full range of quality branded uprated bulbs, you would have to ask as to the legality of these & any possible side effects that they may have on internals of projector lights fitted to your cars.

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

new on here, but wanted to share my experience. i had a 2003 T4, and took into the local Toyota dealer regarding blown bulb and needed a change. they told me there was a problem with the headlamps, and they then proceeded to order up two new headlamp units. Called me a week later or so, said they had arrived, and come on down. Booked a date, went in, couple of hours later, job done. (probably was around early 2005 at the time) Very impressed!!

Then..... I went back later in the year and asked if someone could just replace a blown bulb......about an hour later,after I had seen it raised 8 feet in the air on the ramps, it was done, with a whopping bill. I went mad..... They said they had to disconnect the Battery, take it all out, replace bulb, run a full electrical diagnostic check afterwards etc etc.

Shocking!

Ever since then, local garage, bonnet up, 10 min job max, by hand, less than a fiver every time.

I would however say that I reckon on changing either headlamp bulb probably twice a year maybe......

Cheers

hello,

new on here, but wanted to share my experience. i had a 2003 T4, and took into the local Toyota dealer regarding blown bulb and needed a change. they told me there was a problem with the headlamps, and they then proceeded to order up two new headlamp units. Called me a week later or so, said they had arrived, and come on down. Booked a date, went in, couple of hours later, job done. (probably was around early 2005 at the time) Very impressed!!

Then..... I went back later in the year and asked if someone could just replace a blown bulb......about an hour later,after I had seen it raised 8 feet in the air on the ramps, it was done, with a whopping bill. I went mad..... They said they had to disconnect the battery, take it all out, replace bulb, run a full electrical diagnostic check afterwards etc etc.

Shocking!

Ever since then, local garage, bonnet up, 10 min job max, by hand, less than a fiver every time.

I would however say that I reckon on changing either headlamp bulb probably twice a year maybe......

Cheers

My Toyota garage wants around £40 for a head light bulb (incl fitting). I bought the bulb of them for about £3-4 incl VAT (Official Toyota bulb!) , fitted it myself outside < 2 minutes, went in washed my hands handed over the broken bulb. Job done.

They are a pain and you need small hands i got my nextdoor neighbours son to help. :P

A big design fault one of many with computer designed cars. :(

Also in manchester Halfords which is known as hellfords due to the bad service.

However they charge just a few quid to fit bulbs !!!! :D

Soon they will learn how hard it is to fit them.

So bulbs should be replaced with higher lux not watts and fitted for a few quid.

The service manager said even dealers use them charge £40 to customer and then get hellfords to fit them for a few quid.

My local service manager said they hate doing fog light bulbs on many cars. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

just for those who landed here recently, yes, you can change this bulb yourself. The trick is to unclip the back cover, swing out as far as possible (pushing the Battery out the way or flexing the screen wash tube out the way) then pull towards the centre the engine bay to lift it off.

Then change the bulbs.

Then, look long and hard at the cover piece, understand how it works. Then using a strong light placed behind your head, feed the tongue tab into the slot on the outside of the light fitting, then swing the cover out, to allow the tiny 'annoying guidance tabs' to sit outside the water seal, THEN once with the tiny 'annoying tabs' are outside the water seal, hinge the cover back into place.

The secret for me was the strong light, I could see under the cover all the time (usually its too dark to see) in order to thread the tongue tab on the cover into its receiver on the light housing (around 5-10mm of space to see behind the cover, but it's enough) and from there the rest was easy.

So heres the vital sequence for putting the cover back on (ie the hard bit)

1. slide tongue tab on cover into receiver for the tab on light housing. Push as far as you can till the 'annoying tabs' hit. I needed a strong light behind my head looking under the cover to see where the tongue tab is being slotted.

2. Swing cover out, towards back of car, to allow annoying tabs to clear the housing water seal and push home the tongue tab into place into the receiver for the tab on light housing.

3. Swing cover back into place and clip back into housing

The charge in Finland is 70 euro to do this including the bulb. I think that they don't need to charge that much if they just do what I've done above. It really isn't that hard.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

helsinki-dave's tips were brilliant. However, I managed to break the passenger side headlight's back access lid whilst trying to take it off...

Been trying to look for a spare parts for my avensis (55 reg), but couldn't find anything like that... Any ideas where I could get that back cover from? I won't have to buy the whole unit just for that, will I?!

Thanks.

Hi wcd

I get my spares from japspares at heathrow (www.jap.spares.com), which is a breakers They may have a headlamp in - worth a try. Always found prices OK, and delivery good

Cheers

Buzlby

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links