Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 Litre Petrol Ecu Software Upgrade

Avensis wagon

Hi guys, just trespassing from the Avensis forum with some info that I thought may be useful to Rav 4 owners.

If you have the same 2.0 litre VVT-i engine and same ECU as the Avensis,

and if you have always found the engine to run rather roughly below 3000 rpms (known issue), particularly for example at low speed in 2nd gear when trying to be light on the pedal

then you may be interested to know that Mr T has released a software upgrade for the ECU that will change your engine's low-rpm performance from rumbling chugginess into a very pleasing smoothness.

Err... that was it. Bye :)

Hi guys, just trespassing from the Avensis forum with some info that I thought may be useful to Rav 4 owners.

and if you have always found the engine to run rather roughly below 3000 rpms (known issue), particularly for example at low speed in 2nd gear when trying to be light on the pedal

then you may be interested to know that Mr T has released a software upgrade for the ECU that will change your engine's low-rpm performance from rumbling chugginess into a very pleasing smoothness.

I take it, that's a cost the owner has to pay and not a warrenty upgrade ?.

It was never mentioned that it would cost anything (the car was standing there for its 30,000 km service anyway, and the dealership offered the software upgrade as soon as I mentioned that the performance at low rpms needed looking at) and I can't find anything on the bill.

I think the dealership is 50% of what makes the car -- in this case they have all the eqipment, the latest knowledge and a good attitude coupled with a keen interest.

I don't believe the software itself would cost if you have a niggle under warranty, and I'd doubt that if labour was charged it could possibly run to much.

Whether the upgrade is actively offered under warranty remains to be seen -- the engine isn't faulty as such, it simply has a weak characteristc that can now be improved upon. Someone has sent me a PM from the Avensis forum saying that their garage was unaware of the upgrade but was able to find it -- and took 15 hours to download it because they don't have broadband! Getting the upgrade could therefore be down to the quality and abilty of the dealership in question. I would guess that this is currently the decisive factor rather than the cost.

I'll see if I can find out more about the experience of the person who PM:d me.

It was never mentioned that it would cost anything (the car was standing there for its 30,000 km service anyway, and the dealership offered the software upgrade as soon as I mentioned that the performance at low rpms needed looking at) and I can't find anything on the bill.

I think the dealership is 50% of what makes the car -- in this case they have all the eqipment, the latest knowledge and a good attitude coupled with a keen interest.

I don't believe the software itself would cost if you have a niggle under warranty, and I'd doubt that if labour was charged it could possibly run to much.

Whether the upgrade is actively offered under warranty remains to be seen -- the engine isn't faulty as such, it simply has a weak characteristc that can now be improved upon. Someone has sent me a PM from the Avensis forum saying that their garage was unaware of the upgrade but was able to find it -- and took 15 hours to download it because they don't have broadband! Getting the upgrade could therefore be down to the quality and abilty of the dealership in question. I would guess that this is currently the decisive factor rather than the cost.

I'll see if I can find out more about the experience of the person who PM:d me.

Hmmm...my warrenty is out in January, maybe i should pop back in to the dealer and say the car is a bit sluggish....what can they do :D .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links