Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Clutch Noise

baileyboo172

Hello people this is my fist post so please be nice as I am new to this.

I've had my Aygo since July and I have noticed a noise whenever I let the clutch out when the engine is running, I have taken it back to Mr. t 3 times and after a new gear clutch and jus about everythin else in the gearbox they have decided it's a characteristic of the car. I was just wonderng if any of you fine people have heard a noise or are they just trying to fob me off with crap

Any adive would be nice

Thanks

I find that mine makes a very light click when letting the clutch up in neutral. I've noticed it when parking, waiting at lights and stuff. What sort of noise do you get?

When I went to my local dealer for a Test Drive we had to wait a while and they had one sat in the showroom for people to sit in etc. I tried all the controls and noticed the clutch in that one clicked also.

It seems to be more of a clunk than a click but I suppose it could be the same thing. The thing that confused me was it took Mr T 3 goes to work out it was a characteristic. I also hear the noise when i let the clutch out in first and second any faster than that and there is too much wind noise so I can only assume it does it in every gear.

Also i find going from third to second hard, sumtimes impossible, is it just that I'm not used to gearbox yet or have you found that aswell?

Thanks for response tho mate

Could one of the moderators please move this thread out of the Aygo Owners Reviews slot and put it in Aygo General?? :rolleyes:

These forums are getting messy :shutit:

It seems to be more of a clunk than a click but I suppose it could be the same thing. The thing that confused me was it took Mr T 3 goes to work out it was a characteristic. I also hear the noise when i let the clutch out in first and second any faster than that and there is too much wind noise so I can only assume it does it in every gear.

Also i find going from third to second hard, sumtimes impossible, is it just that I'm not used to gearbox yet or have you found that aswell?

Thanks for response tho mate

No worries :thumbsup:

If I remember rightly there's a difference between First/Reverse gears and the rest of the box- something to do with Syncro-Mesh (you'll have to forgive me- I'm new to automotive malarky :huh: :P )

If you get the chance, dip into Neutral, lift the Clutch, then go for the tricky gear. Same for Reverse on mine- also, if you find First tricky this works.

Could one of the moderators please move this thread out of the Aygo Owners Reviews slot and put it in Aygo General?? :rolleyes:

These forums are getting messy :shutit:

I have no mod powers in this sub forum - needs a Super

is it normal when you can slip a can in and our of gear with-out using the clutch? i only need it for Neutral to 1st gear and neautral to Reverse ... i can just slip it in and out without the clutch, i dont think that i should be able to .. can anyone else do this? its not skill i dont know what it is ... i dont think its supposed to like i said, but hey

can anyone shed some light?

you can change gear in almost any car without clutching provided the engine speed matches the wheel speed for the gear you're going into. when you shift up a gear the engine speed will drop if your off the accelerater and the wheel speed will remain relatively the same and due to the change in ratio the gear will usually slip in quite easily. its a different story when downshifting as u have to blip the accelerater when in neutral to get the revs up higher for the lower gear. its not something i'd recommend doing regularly tho as the gearbox usually ends up grinding.

as for the noise on releasing the clutch, its likely to be the clutch release bearing as this starts to spin as you release the clutch pedal and if its faulty can make a strange noise. you should feel it through the pedal a bit too. stranger for it to be gone on such a new car tho unless there was a fault in the manufacturing of the component

I do remember the gears were a bit stiff when I first got my Aygo and they have loosened up a lot since. It was a nightmare getting up to third gear from second and vice versa at first because of the stiffness.

Noisewise I haven't really noticed any noise in my car except for the occasional crunch when going into first or second.

Have to admit I was always taught to never change gears without putting the clutch down first.

First gear and reverse aren't synced on most modern cars

AFAIK as these gears are usually only selected from a stand still.

We've got a VW Caddy at work which can be shifted UP from 1st to 2nd to

3rd to 4th without using the clutch, but 5th and downshifts DO need the clutch.

This isn't that special, but I do NOT recommend doing this

as it does wear out the synchro meshes more that usual...

• 3 months later...

My Aygo has made a bit of a 'clunk' as the clutch engages as well. It's perfectly normal, as far as I can tell, and doesn't seem to harm the car or anything. I've done around 8,000 miles so far with this.

It's easy to be scared by new noises, especially in your brand new car. But don't panic. If my car blows up because of this, I'll let you know :)

i always seem to have problems with grinding gears fron 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th! lol think it may be just me but the noise really gets on my nerves, makes me think i did something really bad to my poor car lol

its called double-de-clutch such as the method that is used to change gear in large trucks

The click seem to be a common prob on the aygo , on mine i was feeling some clutchslip this weekend .tomorrow will be checking for a replacement sport clutch as the standard one doesnt seem to be coping well with the turbo!

I've had my Aygo since July and I have noticed a noise whenever I let the clutch out when the engine is running, I have taken it back to Mr. t 3 times and after a new gear clutch and jus about everythin else in the gearbox they have decided it's a characteristic of the car. I was just wonderng if any of you fine people have heard a noise or are they just trying to fob me off with crap

Any adive would be nice

Thanks

Sounds like the clutch release bearing. I would expect this on an older car (my 20 year old mk1 mr2 did it) but not on a new car.

Actually its not anything worth worrying about really, it won't break or anything, but its more annoying than anything else.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

just wanted to let you know. My aygo too has the same noise when clutch left out on neutral. The noise came up after 10,000 miles or so on the clock. I do recon it is a design flaw of the pressure plate or clutch and is more of a neusance than a problem. keep me informed if the noise is ever cured.

Kurt

Malta

Any adive would be nice

Thanks

The aygo clutch bearing is always in contact with the clutch springs. There is a mechanism to maintain the biting point, in relation to clutch pedal depression, as the clutch plate wears. If the clutch wears and the springs no longer reach the bearing they usually rest upon, this maybe the case of the noise.

OR maybe there is excessive wear in the clutch bearing caused by resting your foot on the clutch while driving.

OR the revs of the engine is at the Resonant Frequency of one or more components, causing a rattle. (e.g. I used a piece of string to stop the air intake rattling against a coolant pipe at engine idle speed)

Either way, there a precious little else that could cause such rattling. Proper diagnosis is key to avoid wasting money.

The aygo clutch bearing is always in contact with the clutch springs. There is a mechanism to maintain the biting point, in relation to clutch pedal depression, as the clutch plate wears. If the clutch wears and the springs no longer reach the bearing they usually rest upon, this maybe the case of the noise.

OR maybe there is excessive wear in the clutch bearing caused by resting your foot on the clutch while driving.

OR the revs of the engine is at the Resonant Frequency of one or more components, causing a rattle. (e.g. I used a piece of string to stop the air intake rattling against a coolant pipe at engine idle speed)

Either way, there a precious little else that could cause such rattling. Proper diagnosis is key to avoid wasting money.

Something I noticed.

I really do think however in my case it is related to the clutch cable itself hitting something else and causing the rattle. The reason why I think the clutch cable needs to be tightined abit to get rid of the rattle is because of the fact that i just noticed that you do not need to depress the cluch at all for the noise to disappear. I noticed this when I accidentally rested my foot on the clutch paddle (not depressing it) and the noise disappeared. I moved my foot away from the paddle and the noise came again, when rested again on the paddle the noise vanished again. Seems to me the clutch cable might have come abit looser as compared to its original new state and the excess slack might be hitting the body somewhere. Another reason I reccon this is the problem is because the noise is persistant even when the gear is engaged and the car is cruising. Any comments on the matter?

take care

Kurt

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links