Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suspension Sounds Loose?

97camryle&02camryle

I have a 1997 Camry LE I4 and it has about 40k on it. Suprisingly, I had replaced the shocks/struts on the car at around 35k because the OEM struts were leaking oil on the rear suspension. So I thought that was what created some clunking noise (not very loud but annoying and happens everytime over a bump). I replaced all struts/shocks for the front and rear with KYB GR-2 and the problem is still there. I have done an alignment check, balanced the tires, and also rotated them. The noise only happens on the rear right suspension. What could be causing this? Anyone have any suggestions please?

Replace the rear swaybar bushings. They're $10 rubber bits, and less than half an hour's labor. I had mine done recently and the mysterious noise disappeared. Since the parts & labor are so cheap, I'd just go ahead and do it. Couldn't hurt, might help. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Replace the rear swaybar bushings. They're $10 rubber bits, and less than half an hour's labor. I had mine done recently and the mysterious noise disappeared. Since the parts & labor are so cheap, I'd just go ahead and do it. Couldn't hurt, might help. :-)

Did you do this at the dealer? I might as well do this and get it over with. Thanks!

It's pretty easy to do yourself. The usual safety precautions about lying underneath a jacked-up vehicle apply.

It's a little difficult to describe, but you'll find where the swaybars are attached to the frame just above & in front of each rear wheel. There's a bracket held on by a single bolt.

The bushings themselves are slotted to allow easy removal & installation. Don't be dismayed that the hole in the new one looks considerably smaller than the old. Therein lies the problem you're solving.

My mechanic liberaly gobbed anti-seize on the bar and inside of the bushing (the non-petroleum silvery stuff). That's so any moisture that gets in won't cause much rusting. Don't use grease or any petroleum-based stuff because it'll eat the rubber.

Re-bolt the brackets and you're good to go.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, same problem but on the front of the car (97 Cam XLE ) Both Front struts replaced and clunking noise still there. :!Removed!:

• 2 months later...

I had the same noise problem up front on my 99 Camry.

It was the top strut mounts. these have a rubber bushing

inside a metal housing that wears out.

They're around a hundred dollars apiece and you

have to dissasemble the strut *****'y to replace them.

It's a pretty easy job if you get a spring compresser.

(they loan them at Autozone) just pay attention to

the orientation arrows during assembly to keep

everything oriented correctly.

Hey guys, same problem but on the front of the car (97 Cam XLE ) Both Front struts replaced and clunking noise still there. :!Removed!:

Thats cos its not struts that are no good, it's bushes. You replaced your struts for nothing!!

I would recommend the anti roll bar bushes too.. also try the linkage too as these become worn and are common.

you will notice a difference in handling once you change these.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links