Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snow Chains

itspilsbury

Not long had our RAV4. Its got Toyo Tranpath Tyres on it. All fairly worn, down to about 3mm to 4mm max. Our previous car was a Yaris. I had a set of snow chains that we carried in case of sudden heavy snowfall but never needed them. We live in the Peak District and have experienced heavy snow over the years. I get mixed feelings reading about the RAV4 on the internet about its off road / snow capabilities.

Does any of you possess snow chains. If so which ones are the best for the 235 60 / 16 tyres. Have any of you had any experience using them. Are they worth the cash outlay, a good set is between £100 + £200.

itspilsbury :unsure:

Not long had our RAV4. Its got Toyo Tranpath Tyres on it. All fairly worn, down to about 3mm to 4mm max. Our previous car was a Yaris. I had a set of snow chains that we carried in case of sudden heavy snowfall but never needed them. We live in the Peak District and have experienced heavy snow over the years. I get mixed feelings reading about the RAV4 on the internet about its off road / snow capabilities.

Does any of you possess snow chains. If so which ones are the best for the 235 60 / 16 tyres. Have any of you had any experience using them. Are they worth the cash outlay, a good set is between £100 + £200.

itspilsbury :unsure:

Well I'm a Land Rover man myself but my mother has a RAV 4. The trouble with the RAV is the ground clearence and lack of Low Range, so putting snow chains on for deep snow wont help. I have a V8 Discovery and have never had any probs through snow or in muddy fields plus have never needed chains. The best thing you could do is to put some taller more aggresive tyres on.

• 2 weeks later...

I run a 98 3dr Rav4 in the French alps with yokohama geolander ATs (215/70/16) on, despite massive snowfalls have yet to put snowchains on. As above, I would consider changing the tyres.

When I bought the car it had standard fit Dunlop Grand treks on, sliding all over the place, so I put the same tyres my father has on his shogun/pajero (200,000kms and counting) They cost about £86 a corner and i can get in and out of snowdrifts with out problems,up and down mountains with pretty severe gradients!

I dont know which model you have, but looking at the cars on the road the 2nd gen rav4 seems to have less clearance?, I havent ( touch wood) had a problem or gotten stuck yet very impressive little car