Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Temperature Too Low?

talldave

I have a 1998 1.8 Avensis auto. I've noticed recently that the temperature gauge isn't in the normal position. Normally it's a fraction below half way. Now, even after driving say 10 miles it's often at about a quarter or a third of the way up the scale.

Is this because of the colder weather? I had the car last winter too, but didn't notice the same thing then.

If I'm in traffic/town it does rise to the 'normal' position (i.e just below half way) but when I'm on dual carriageway it stays at the quarter/third position.

Does anyone else experience this? Is this a problem or just normal behaviour?

I have a 1998 1.8 Avensis auto. I've noticed recently that the temperature gauge isn't in the normal position. Normally it's a fraction below half way. Now, even after driving say 10 miles it's often at about a quarter or a third of the way up the scale.

Is this because of the colder weather? I had the car last winter too, but didn't notice the same thing then.

If I'm in traffic/town it does rise to the 'normal' position (i.e just below half way) but when I'm on dual carriageway it stays at the quarter/third position.

It means your thermostat has failed in the open position, no great worry. Your car will just be less fuel economic and slightly less powerful. If your fairly handy they are not too difficult to replace yourself for about £20, if you take it to toyota they will probably want £200 of you.

OK thanks. I did suspect that fuel consumption had got worse although I haven't actually confirmed this yet - will do when I next fill up.

Can you point me at whereabouts the thermostat is/what to do? Will I need to drain the coolant?

Hopefully I'll be able to replace it - I have always serviced/fixed my cars in the past - this is the first problem I'd had with the Avensis since I got it.

OK thanks. I did suspect that fuel consumption had got worse although I haven't actually confirmed this yet - will do when I next fill up.

Can you point me at whereabouts the thermostat is/what to do? Will I need to drain the coolant?

Hopefully I'll be able to replace it - I have always serviced/fixed my cars in the past - this is the first problem I'd had with the Avensis since I got it.

Sorry I am not sure on the Avensis, had to do this on my Alfa. Its a week point on the Alfa 156's.

On the Alfa you had to drain the coolant.

I am sure someone will be along this evening to tell you exactly how its done.

The temperature and fuel guages have a habit of sticking on the pre 01 cars. It gets much worse in colder weather as the cold cabin seems to make it stick even more!

When the engine has reached what you would expect to be normal operating temperature and the cabin has warmed up, give a few sharp taps to the top of the speedo cluster and see does the needle move. If it goes towards the centre position you described, then you'll know this is the problem.

No repairs necessary unless you have a need to change the speedo cluster! Just keep an eye on it from time to time and ensure you're not overheating!.

If in traffic temp is OK, but when driving temp is goin down, than there is definitely thermostat failed...

Follow big upper pipe from radiator.

On water inlet in enginer you will see flange with 2 nuts.

Remove these nuts and under flange will find thermostat.

Before upper procedure drain 2-3 litters of antifreeze (to decrease coolant level below thermostat level and to minimize spill)...

In my old Vaux i have exactly the same problem....

When i opened thermostat i saw that there is very small cleft in closed position between moving valve and his seat- about 0.5mm (it is closed, but not so tight due to wearing out of thermostat seat... ).....

Result was that thermostat is not closing circulation of cooland via radiator when engine is cold, thus engine cannot reach his normal operation temperature especially when radiator is more effective - when car is moving.