Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Dash Lamp Replacement

hifienthusiast

I have a 2003 Corolla. The light bulb behind the heater control on the central dash does not work. Can someone tell me how I can remove the plastic surround and replace the bulb? Thanks.

I have a 2003 Corolla. The light bulb behind the heater control on the central dash does not work. Can someone tell me how I can remove the plastic surround and replace the bulb? Thanks.

Which model do you have T2/T3 or T spirit/T Sport?

To remove the centre console on a T2/T3, remove the trim around the gear stick, remove ashtray, pull out center rotary knob to show 2 screws, undo them and pull from bottom towards you the whole centre console, which if hasn't been removed before, might feel stuck, but keep trying and once out should be able to see bulbs behind.

To remove the centre console on a T Spirit/T Sport, remove the trim around the gear stick, remove ashtray, at the bottom of centre console pull towards you, which if hasn't been removed before, might feel stuck, but keep trying and once out should be able to see bulbs behind.

In my signature, you can find a few pics of how to do this procedure, but not replacing the bulbs though.

Hope this helps, if i got it wrong, i'm sure someone out there will put me right.

Bing

:thumbsup:

Which model do you have T2/T3 or T spirit/T Sport?

To remove the centre console on a T2/T3, remove the trim around the gear stick, remove ashtray, pull out center rotary knob to show 2 screws, undo them and pull from bottom towards you the whole centre console, which if hasn't been removed before, might feel stuck, but keep trying and once out should be able to see bulbs behind.

Hope this helps, if i got it wrong, i'm sure someone out there will put me right.

Bing

Many thanks for your advice. I have a T2 1.4L Corolla. I will give it a try. I just changed by headlamp bulb as well, there is only a small gap between the headlamp and other components, it was hard to pull off the connector!

• 2 weeks later...

I changed both light bulbs behind the heater control knobs of my T2 Corolla this morning following your instructions. Originally only one bulb was faulty but after I took the fascia off, the other bulb went as well! :(

The most fiddly part is to take the bulbs out and put them back, there isn's much room to use my fingers to manuover the tiny bulb into its socket.

My advice is to get the bulbs from Wilkinson which cost only 95 pence for two. I bought one from Toyota for 1.53 pounds!

Hey, surprised my instructions worked :yahoo:

Glad to be of help to you :thumbsup:

Bing

After changing both light bulbs behind the heater control, I found the bulb behind the hazard warning switch had gone as well!

Am I the only unlucky person who has had 3 bulbs (plus the nearside head lamp bulb) gone within 3 weeks?

I just phoned Toyota in Southampton and the little bulb for the hazard warning is £3.82 + VAT! What a rip off! :angry2:

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the instructions - I tried following them and got as far as pulling out the centre rotary knob and undoing the screw (only one on mine), but then when I tried pulling (from where the ashtray goes) it wouldn't budge - can't even see which bit should come out and don't want to force it and break something.

:unsure:

When you say the whole centre console, is it everything from the ashtray space upwards, from edge to edge (L to R), including the storage container above the ashtray and the controls right up to just underneath the radio?

Any more advice much appreciated... :)

Thanks for the instructions - I tried following them and got as far as pulling out the centre rotary knob and undoing the screw (only one on mine), but then when I tried pulling (from where the ashtray goes) it wouldn't budge - can't even see which bit should come out and don't want to force it and break something.

:unsure:

When you say the whole centre console, is it everything from the ashtray space upwards, from edge to edge (L to R), including the storage container above the ashtray and the controls right up to just underneath the radio?

As i don't have the T2 version of the car, and im only going by what i remember or people have said, it should be like mine and remove the whole center console like so..

remove ashtray and pull from where my fingers are

Pulling_out_centre_console.jpg

There are 4 clips, 2 at top, and 2 at bottom.

Top clips shown here

Centre_Console_Clip_same_on_otherside.jpg

There are 4 clips, 2 at top, and 2 at bottom.

Bottom clips shown here

Centre_Console_Clip_01_same_on_otherside.jpg

That should bring out the whole of the center console out so then you should be able to find what your looking for.

Hope that helps

Bing

Yup that is really helpful thanks - will give it a go.

:yes:

As i don't have the T2 version of the car, and im only going by what i remember or people have said, it should be like mine and remove the whole center console like so..

• 5 years later...

Basically, now I have the very same problem as hifienthusiast

One of the light bulbs on heater control is not working as well as light bulb behind hazard warning switch.

I wonder what are the replacement bulbs for these, since only what I have is their toyota spare number codes.

What types of ligh bulbs are equivalent for those used in the car (E12 corolla 2003)?

Orig numbers are: 90069-98005 (for heater control) and 90011-11023 for hazard warning

Thank you

Thank you for your answer mcorban. Today, I have exchanged both bulbs. It was very though and I had to use tweezers. Unfortunately I wasn't able to figure out how to dismantle the plastic part with the bulbs without dimantling the plastic with heater and fan control knobs 2zrhsf6.jpg

Anway, I found that 12V, 1.2W T5 bulbs fits perfectly and noe this problem is solved. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the miniature buld for the hazard warning (button with triangle). I also don't know what is this type of bulb or diode. Here is the picture.

2cfckk9.jpg All I know is that diameter of the bulb is 3mm. I wonder if this tiny bulb can be plugged out this socket at all. All I know is from the catalog of toyota and that is it is 14V, 0.84W bulb.

Does OSRAM or Philips make some equivalent bulbs?

Thank you

That small bulb can be bought without the holder. Its just a 12v bulb and can be bought from radionics ete, they come with long legs that need to be trimmed.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for your answer mcorban. Today, I have exchanged both bulbs. It was very though and I had to use tweezers. Unfortunately I wasn't able to figure out how to dismantle the plastic part with the bulbs without dimantling the plastic with heater and fan control knobs 2zrhsf6.jpg

Anway, I found that 12V, 1.2W T5 bulbs fits perfectly and noe this problem is solved. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the miniature buld for the hazard warning (button with triangle). I also don't know what is this type of bulb or diode. Here is the picture.

2cfckk9.jpg All I know is that diameter of the bulb is 3mm. I wonder if this tiny bulb can be plugged out this socket at all. All I know is from the catalog of toyota and that is it is 14V, 0.84W bulb.

Does OSRAM or Philips make some equivalent bulbs?

Thank you

How did you remove that white panel with the bulbs from behind the heater controls? Thanks

• 1 year later...

The bulb carrier comes off from the heater control by using a screwdriver, there are two vertical slots on the heater panel. These a sprung, insert the screwdriver and twist, and pull the bulb panel from the back.

The bulb carrier comes off from the heater control by using a screwdriver, there are two vertical slots on the heater panel. These a sprung, insert the screwdriver and twist, and pull the bulb panel from the back.