Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Misfire/loss Of Power

Bill Gillon

Hi there - Hope someone can help

I have an Avensis T reg 1.8 and am experiencing serious loss of power. Starts fine but when any power applied it coughs and sputters and loses power. the engine management system is not showing any fault. My grage is stumped, they have checked all the electrics, checked with Toyota dealership who say if it is not showing a fault they cannot help.

They have managed to get it running better but when it hits 4000 rpm the engine cuts out. The garage describes the problem as if the eninge is acting as if it is running too lean, when it should'nt be.The garage has got the name of someon who can check fuel pressures etc, but he is very busy and not yet been able to check my car out.

Can anyone help?

Hi there - Hope someone can help

I have an Avensis T reg 1.8 and am experiencing serious loss of power. Starts fine but when any power applied it coughs and sputters and loses power. the engine management system is not showing any fault. My grage is stumped, they have checked all the electrics, checked with Toyota dealership who say if it is not showing a fault they cannot help.

They have managed to get it running better but when it hits 4000 rpm the engine cuts out. The garage describes the problem as if the eninge is acting as if it is running too lean, when it should'nt be.The garage has got the name of someon who can check fuel pressures etc, but he is very busy and not yet been able to check my car out.

Can anyone help?

Sounds like a problem with the AFM but could be a blockage in the exhaust thats causing a problem.

Anyone else have any views.

Do these cars have AFM's?

I agree that it could be a blockage in the exhaust, i.e. a collapsed catilytic (is that how you spell it?) converter.

Easy to check.

Disconnect at the exhaust manifold (it WILL be noisy), run it for a while and see if it goes better.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links