Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

99 Camry, What Gas?

Graben

I just got a 99 Toyota Camry without the owners manual, does anyone know what octane to put in it? I'm guessing 87, any help would be appreciated.

Is it an I4 or V6 camry?

For I4, you can just use octane 87 gas, but for the V6, octane 91 or higher gas is recommended in the owner's manual (octane 97 can be used, but u will get decreased performance).

• 3 months later...

Altezza is right,

If you go with ne thing higher than 87, you might get better fuel economy depending on what type of brand you are using to fill up with. But the lower octane will give you better performance. I use 93 octane becuase I am on the highway alot.

(Just in case your wondering) If you are looking for something to add to your gas to increase your octane or performance BG Product fuel additive is a good product that Toyota delears recommend. It rids your car of unclean fuels to help your keep your cars fuel clean. They should be available at your dealer. I know here n the US they run for about 20$.

I'm not sure how the fuel ratings vary across the world but over here a higher octane rating usually means better performance.

Good point,

It depends on the brand and the fuel ratings,

Generally speaking with fuel ratings, higher octane you would persume means better performance and this is true for most cars, I found out from the dealer that depending where the petrolem comes from being from Britian, Middle East etc and what brand it is may contain sediments that can harm your fuel but this is rare now becuase most gas stations are new and all the gasolines are redifined the same. Where I am at, the toyota dealers suggest that adding higher octane can effect your cars rich /lean burn ratio becuase depending on the car, it may already be programmed for a certain octane or higher, and deviating from it can fool your oxygen sensors and/or you will burn fuel faster which if the car is not made for it can harm the car over time but this depends alot on your maual make, model, rather you drive overdrive and ect. For the year of your camry, I am not sure if higher octane result in higher performance. if you go up one octane, (depending on rather your are driving for speed or just regular driving)?

I hope this helps you out, :thumbsup:

My understanding is octain merly changes the point the gas explodes at. Meaning higher horse power motors have more compression. The longer you can squeeze/compress the gas before the spark the more exposion, more power.

But most any 6 or less cylinder cars simply do not have the compression needed to compress fuels above 87 octain to take advantage of it. So running more that 87 is a waist of money and you are not burning the fuel the car was designed to burn.

My 97 V6 DOHC owners manual does say it's ok to run 87, but for better performance use higher octain. Where I live we have 91 89 and 87 octain gas. I have ran all 3 and can tell no differance. With the 91 Oct selling for 20 cents more per gallon. I tend to buy the 89, split the differance.

My understanding of octane rating is the tendency of the fuel not to explode.

Gas engines are designed to have a flame path across the chamber when ignited causing complete but controlled burning. Not exploding.

The explosion of the fuel is detonation which places the piston/wrist pin/rod/and crank under extreme pressure.

If the timing is correct and the fuel detonates, then the fuel must be changed to an increased octane rating.

If the timing is too advanced, compression too high, too much boost from turbo/supercharger, or carbon is glowing in the chamber, the fuel may explode [pinging.]

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links