Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honda Civic

Demonic Angel

I went to test drive a Honda Civic 1.8iVTEC ES today and I was impressed! :D Really lovely to drive, right amount of power and really responsive - stuck to the road like glue - no more Yaris body roll! :lol::yahoo:

But, while talking to the sales woman, she admitted the majority of her customers are elderly and the general consensus has always been that Honda tends to sells cars for older people (hence why I never bought a Jazz), apart from the exception of the S2000 of course.... :lol:

But to me the new Civic seems to have that young, fresh, quirky appeal to it....

(interior and exterior pics, for those who dont know!)

honda_new_civic_interior_01_08_05.jpghonda_new_civic_01_08_05.jpg

What do you guys think?

I've been test driving a few cars over the last couple of weeks, including the VW Beetle (uninspired and lacking power, but great to look at) and the Seat Leon, which was similaly a lovely drive but the TFSI they gave me seemed slightly overly powerful (I just wanted an FSI!) as well as popping to Mr T for the Celica which was fun and a great drive and a definite contender. I'm looking to change cars early next year.

The Civic did seem to have something special though - its an aquired taste (as is the price tag - 15K!! :eek: ) but I love the style and the interior is amazing and I could afford a brand new one if I really wanted one....

So - views on the Honda Civic - are Hondas still for "old people" or is the new Civic a change in the tide?

Well, I'd say Civics are definately less of an old persons car than a Yaris & I definately wouldn't consider a Type R 1 for the pensioners. That's a side issue for me though, I personally think the new shape Civics are as ugly as any car in history, it's bad enough looking at other people's, there's no way I would ever be happy owning a car that has been beaten with the ugly stick anywhere near as much as that has :sick:

here's no way I would ever be happy owning a car that has been beaten with the ugly stick anywhere near as much as that has :sick:

Good job it'll be my car rather than yours then eh Kev.... :lol::lol:

Yes its different, but I love it because it looks different - theres nothing else like it on the road :thumbsup: But I have a tough decision to make, because I liked all of them (apart from the Beetle)... they all have good and bad points.... I mean the Civic visability is quite bad, especially at the rear because of the spoiler.

So hmm, I dunno.... decisions decisions :unsure:

I used to own a Civic Type R and I must admit I miss it. The power & handling are awesome.

I'm not sure about the new shape Civic and I'm waiting for the Type RR to come out before I test drive one, but I would surely miss the convertible if I decided that was the puppy for me.

Definitely not an old peps car if you choose the RR, but avoid the previous shape 'Sport' version, it's gutless!

Thought this was a secret??! :rolleyes:

You know what you want to do Em!

I have to confess there are a lot of things I like about the look of the new Civic. Its back-end lets it down severely for me though. Gonna wait to see what they do with the Type-R version before I get interested I think. Me and my folks have owned Honda's in the past, and they've always been brilliant cars. I'd also say the Civic is pretty much the exception to the rule with Honda's and old people.

But... Its just not a Celi T-Sport is it? ;)

Guy at my old work has one, I think the interior is fantastic (both looks and quality) and Honda have done a good job on the exterior making a modern car that's genuinely different and identifiable when everyone else is churning out dull clones :) Whether you like it or not is a personal thing, I do.

As for whether its a brand for old people or not, who cares? Its the same as people that don't know anything about cars like to tell you the MX-5 is for hairdressers. If its right for you then its right for you.

I do think they're expensive though, but that's true of the whole Honda range and maybe you're paying extra for quality. Never owned one and wouldn't buy a new car anyway so I don't know.

Glad you didn't like the Beetle though, its a horrid abomination of a car and really just the terrible mkiv Golf in drag anyway :P

I like it....

Streets ahead of any of the other small hatches out there....

The various type R and RR concepts look prestty sweet too :D

Another fan here :thumbsup: !

Maybe the old shape was a bit of a grannies car but the new one definatly isn't ;)

I think toyota should have been more radical like the new civic for the new corolla/auris :(

I'll put my opinion this way...

After much deliberation.. and admittedly never actually driven one... I wouldnt be jealous/envious of you if you bought one...

Sorry... decent car or not...just doesnt do it for me... but then again I doubt a 'hot hatch' type thing would...

As peeps have said... if you like it.... then fine... but I tend to agree with D-Frog :P

Interior does look good on them, but the exterior styling just doesn't do it for me :unsure:

i have driven a diesel model and must say it was nice.. interior is fantastic and well thought out.

here's no way I would ever be happy owning a car that has been beaten with the ugly stick anywhere near as much as that has :sick:

Good job it'll be my car rather than yours then eh Kev.... :lol::lol:

You said it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't expect any1 to be put off a car just because I don't like it but if I'm asked for my honest opinion about something that's what I give. Like I've said before though, take your time & I'm sure you'll make the right decision

ex-civic owner here , had 3 honda's in fact and that new one is the shiznit :D Really smart looking , old folks just have taste nowadays :D

Another vote for the new civic here Em :thumbsup:

its great looking , the type R will be amazing when it comes out :yahoo:

If i was looking for a new car i'd look at one too, at the moment it would be the new sport version.

try and hang on for the type R if you can :yes:

Honda's have been in my family for years. Concerto's and Civics

Dad who is an old man now :thumbsup: has a Civic 1.8.

I used to have a 3 door Civic 1.6 VTEC, very sporty looking and turned heads and boy that could shift :thumbsup: really put you in the back of the seat. I loved that car.

I like the look of the new Civic's and the interior is cool. Even in the Jazz's there is loads of room, due to the fact that the gear stick is half way up the front of the dash.

So yeah :thumbsup: from me. Love them.

:thumbsup:

TBH I dont like the look of the CRX :huh: But give me an S200 any day. And imo nearly every Type -R I have seen has been driven by a boy racer :unsure:

3 door Civics are the way to go. B)

i think the type r is nice looking. but on the other versions think trim is ****, they look like the wheels are to small so they filled the gap with black plastic trim, and the doore handles. :o and is it true if its not over 1.6 then the exaust at the rear is just for show sorry dont like it

looking at that type r pic and the first thing to jump into my head was the land rover out of judge dred

Type R looks nice, and that interior you've posted Em certainly looks funky.

Still not sure on the headlights though. Apparently, that glass cover for them is an absolute bomb, should you have to replace it...

I think the "smaller" versions are the older person's car.

Then again, I've seen old biddys round here in Evo's and Ford ST's recently...

Gen 7 Celica would be my choice out of that lot. Get lowering springs from TTE, maybe some larger alloys :thumbsup:

I see what Honda is trying to do with the new Civic, but I think they have made a mistake. It just doesn't look very good in the flesh.

Even the lowest spec Celica looks miles better.

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

Doesn't have as much go as the Civic maybe, but power isn't everything. I don't think there would be much to choose between them on the track.

Paul.

Thanks for all the opinions...

To be honest I'm a bit torn at the moment as all the cars have good points and bad points and I'd be happy owning any of them!

And now I'm thinking I should leave buying a new car and get myself a flat instead.... I dunno.... need serious advice! :lol:

I have a month or so to think about it before people will be starting to call me back! :lol: I do very much like the Civic though, its definitely the funkiest car I drove and I do like cars that are a bit unique and different...

But hmm, need to give it serious thought as if I buy a new car I might not be able to move out for a couple of years and whats more important - nice fancy new fast motor or my own gaff? :unsure:

whats more important - nice fancy new fast motor or my own gaff? :unsure:

Em

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house :lol::lol: