Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

For Those Of You With Satnavs

TonyRay

The factory fitted SatNav in our Verso has started playing up. After 27k it's performed well but of late the SatNav screen has started to freeze. The most frequent issue is it's having difficulty reading the the DVD, sometimes the screen will read 'Unable to read DVD correctly, check if the DVD is damaged of dirty'. It's happening several times each trip we make. The only way to correct it is to eject the SatNav DVD and reinsert it.

The dealer reckons it's a dodgy DVD, I hope so.

TR

• 4 weeks later...

Update, The SatNav's totally packed in. It takes forever to boot and when it does it simply shows one of two messages:

1) 'Unable to read DVD correctly, check if the DVD is damaged of dirty'

2) 'DVD check in progress'.

There's limited functionality with some of the buttons working, the CD player & radio works fine, but no SatNav functions.

Our local Pinewood dealer really messed us around. Initially we were told five days for the new replacement DVD. Each time we called or visited the delivery date was pushed back another week. Almost four weeks passed, I then made a chance call on the 23rd of Dec to be told the DVD was in but they were due to close shop for Christmas within the hour. Suffice to say I couldn't get to them (they had our contact details, you'd think they'd bother to call us in time).

We run a small business and the SatNav contains a lot of esoteric preprogrammed routes which meant we were royally stuffed trying to meet our delivery schedules running up to Christmas.

I'm beginning to have doubts about the DVD disc being at fault, because when the front panel is opened the whole SATNAV DVD & CD unit is very hot to the touch, you can really feel the heat emitted by the unit and that gives me thought for concern.

TR

try a lens cleaner in ur cd player, it could be ur lens thats got a bit of dust on it and it cant read the disc

We did just that, but no joy.

Picked up the new (and upgraded) DVD this week, the SatNav functioned for all of ten minutes before resorting to its usual antics. As suspected, the the SatNav unit itself is at fault and not the DVD. Pinewood have put an order in for a new unit under warranty. Apparently the 'whole' unit and not just the DVD SatNav player will be replaced. They've said five days for delivery, but we know better (don't we?)

TR

• 10 months later...

try a lens cleaner in ur cd player, it could be ur lens thats got a bit of dust on it and it cant read the disc

We did just that, but no joy.

Picked up the new (and upgraded) DVD this week, the SatNav functioned for all of ten minutes before resorting to its usual antics. As suspected, the the SatNav unit itself is at fault and not the DVD. Pinewood have put an order in for a new unit under warranty. Apparently the 'whole' unit and not just the DVD SatNav player will be replaced. They've said five days for delivery, but we know better (don't we?)

TR

Hi,

I recently bought a Corolla Verso TSpirit which has the satnav and have been experiencing the same problems. We went to France with it and it packed in constantly.

(you don't want this happening in central Paris!).

Does anyone know if this is a common fault with the sat-nav? The unit does get hot and I suspect it is the same problem as TonyRay. The dealer has already given us a different disk but caused the same problem.

When we got back we took it back to the dealer and his service people had a look. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and passed all the tests.

They suggested waiting till it gets worse so they can repeat the tests, so we are a bit stuck! Any idea how I can convince them there is a problem??

That is the problem with intermittent faults they never show up when you want them to.

Ask them what tests they did on the sat nav???.

I think any electrical equipment will get hot when in use I think it depends how hot it is???

I had a similar problem with a DVD recorder at home it would not play or record discs ( Disc dirty etc) intermittently when I used it a lot and I would think the sat nav works on the same principle as a DVD recorder the laser reads the info on the discs!!! the unit was replaced.

You may need to go back and demand its sorted out as perhaps the sat nav is not used every day

My guess is when your sat nav played up it had been used a lot that day and was hot and when the dealer tested it he switched it on and it worked okay as the sat nav was cool.

If that is the case use the sat nav for the day and get the dealer to test it at the end of the day

That is the problem with intermittent faults they never show up when you want them to.

Ask them what tests they did on the sat nav???.

I think any electrical equipment will get hot when in use I think it depends how hot it is???

I had a similar problem with a DVD recorder at home it would not play or record discs ( Disc dirty etc) intermittently when I used it a lot and I would think the sat nav works on the same principle as a DVD recorder the laser reads the info on the discs!!! the unit was replaced.

You may need to go back and demand its sorted out as perhaps the sat nav is not used every day

My guess is when your sat nav played up it had been used a lot that day and was hot and when the dealer tested it he switched it on and it worked okay as the sat nav was cool.

If that is the case use the sat nav for the day and get the dealer to test it at the end of the day

thanks for the info. The map read error came on today so we phoned the dealer and drove the car round to show them. (I didn't dare turn the engine off!)

The engineer looked at the disc and thinks that it being scratched is the problem (I wonder what tests they did if they couldn't spot that straightaway).

So they won't test the unit out unless we get a new disc and that isn't covered by the warranty.

Thankfully, the salesman agreed to have it replaced and so see in a few days if that fixes it.

BTW when I get the new disk should I make a copy in case it gets scratched again or is it illegal to do so?

Its a shame they can't use SD cards!

cheers

A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links