Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cluth Pedal Issues

Chris81

Well it appears the path of true Yaris t-sport ownership doesn't run smoothly. I've only had it a few weeks and I'm still having bother with it - remember its a 55 reg, with delivery miles when I got it. The clutch pedal never felt right - it was squeeky, as if it was catching against something and then got worse, stammering and just generally not feeling smooth at all when depressed or released. I took it back to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong but to show willing they booked it in to have a new clutch pedal and bush fitted. This made no difference so they tested it again and booked it in to have a new clutch master cylinder fitted. Since then, the squeek has reduced but it still comes and goes but now the biting point is so low that unless the pedal is pushed in 100%, the car won't go into gear. Literally, as soon as I release the clutch pedal, even by a millimetre, the car starts to bite, and unless I pile the revs on straight away it will stall. Is it normal to have such a low biting point on the t-sport? Can the biting point be adjusted at all? If so, I think I'll be taking it back to the dealers again (5th week running).

I'd be grateful for your advice.

Well it appears the path of true Yaris t-sport ownership doesn't run smoothly. I've only had it a few weeks and I'm still having bother with it - remember its a 55 reg, with delivery miles when I got it. The clutch pedal never felt right - it was squeeky, as if it was catching against something and then got worse, stammering and just generally not feeling smooth at all when depressed or released. I took it back to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong but to show willing they booked it in to have a new clutch pedal and bush fitted. This made no difference so they tested it again and booked it in to have a new clutch master cylinder fitted. Since then, the squeek has reduced but it still comes and goes but now the biting point is so low that unless the pedal is pushed in 100%, the car won't go into gear. Literally, as soon as I release the clutch pedal, even by a millimetre, the car starts to bite, and unless I pile the revs on straight away it will stall. Is it normal to have such a low biting point on the t-sport? Can the biting point be adjusted at all? If so, I think I'll be taking it back to the dealers again (5th week running).

I have EXACTLY the same issue with my wife's 1.3 SR ... whilst she's happy to drive it like that it drives me insane !! One suggestion i had from someone was to physically bend the pedal upwards.. but seeing as you've had a replacement fitted it suggests that it wont make the slightest difference... can't understand why your garage don't think it's a problem?

I don't have the luxury of being covered by the manufacturer's warranty (bought second hand - 2001 model) so if i was you i'd go back to the garage and maybe do an A/B comparison with another Yaris and point it out to the mechanics... i've posted about this a while back but the responses were along the lines of "Well they do bite early" .. fair point, but i don't think anyone appreciates how early the clutch is biting lol..

I did in fact take a T - Sport for a test drive last year for a comparison and it's clutch was perfick...indicating to me that this 'early bite' is definitely NOT a characteristic !

If you do manage to resolve it i'd be extremely grateful if you could post back with the fix..

Cheers

Rolf

Hi, although the clutch is hydraulic on the Yaris I seem to remember reading in the Haynes manual for the 1.0 & 1.3 that the pedal height can be adjusted. I assume this would allow the bite point to be moved. I'll have another look when I get home from work. My clutch has always been o.k., but the gear change in my T Sport is very notchy at the best of times.

Oddbod (Terry O)

I have EXACTLY the same issue with my wife's 1.3 SR ... whilst she's happy to drive it like that it drives me insane !! One suggestion i had from someone was to physically bend the pedal upwards.. but seeing as you've had a replacement fitted it suggests that it wont make the slightest difference... can't understand why your garage don't think it's a problem?

I don't have the luxury of being covered by the manufacturer's warranty (bought second hand - 2001 model) so if i was you i'd go back to the garage and maybe do an A/B comparison with another Yaris and point it out to the mechanics... i've posted about this a while back but the responses were along the lines of "Well they do bite early" .. fair point, but i don't think anyone appreciates how early the clutch is biting lol..

I did in fact take a T - Sport for a test drive last year for a comparison and it's clutch was perfick...indicating to me that this 'early bite' is definitely NOT a characteristic !

If you do manage to resolve it i'd be extremely grateful if you could post back with the fix..

Cheers

Rolf

Thanks for that Terry - much appreciated if you can confirm at some point...

boy i'll be well happy if the pedal is adjustable ! Previously people had said that because it was hydraulic it wasn't possible... i hope they're wrong.. !

Rolf

Bit of an update - I had my t-sport floor mats out at the weekend to give them a clean, and whilst down there noticed that the mat goes so far up the footwell, that it stops the clutch pedal from being fully depressed. Although it felt like I had the clutch pedal all the way in, the mat was actually stopping it getting through the final part of its travel. So, with the mat out, I took it for a drive and it's so much different! The mat is only about 6mm thick, but it makes SO much difference when changing gears.

So, my advice Rolf Yaris, is to take out the floor mat and see if it makes any difference.

Bit of an update - I had my t-sport floor mats out at the weekend to give them a clean, and whilst down there noticed that the mat goes so far up the footwell, that it stops the clutch pedal from being fully depressed. Although it felt like I had the clutch pedal all the way in, the mat was actually stopping it getting through the final part of its travel. So, with the mat out, I took it for a drive and it's so much different! The mat is only about 6mm thick, but it makes SO much difference when changing gears.

So, my advice Rolf Yaris, is to take out the floor mat and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for your input Chris but alas - already tried it... in fact it was the first thing a tried.. Cheers anyway..

Get a haynes manual as noticed in there the clutch pedal is adjustable so have a read of one at halfords or whatever!

Woody, now it's been confirmed by yourself that the pedal is in fact adjustable i think it's time the HAYNES' bible was consulted..... back when i bought the car for the missus (18 months back (ish)) a Haynes manual wasn't available.... many thanks for your response.. will post back with the results.. (probably after christmas now though)..

Rolf

No problem! Sorry it was a bit short n concise i was leaving to go out! But yeah i think they are cheapest on eBay atm as everywhere else charges a pretty standard rate. I find it pretty useful basically just for giving a judgment of how hard a job will be, finding out where the clips will be when removing interior panels so i dont brake them :P, electrical wiring diagrams and also things like clutch adjustment! Have a good christmas and hope it sorts it out for you :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I've managed to aquire the service manual for the new yaris 2007 model (273Mb of pdf files) from which i've created this pic - i'm hoping that it's the same/similar on all other models although i haven't checked yet -but here's the pic anyway... looks simple enough to adjust the height of the clutch pedal... allegedly!

post-20086-1169548137_thumb.jpg

Here's hoping..

Rolf

hi, just a quick suggestion but have you tried bleeding the clutch?? it may just be that there is air in the system that means you are having to compress the air along with pushing fluid through the system which would result in a very low bitting point.

maybe worth a try.

another possibility is that the line or a seal is damaged that is reducing the hydraulic line pressure.

i've had proplems before with some garages not believing there is a problem when their quite clearly is!

best thing to do is to take them in the car and show them, this worked when Mr T tracked my car with the steering wheel about 20 degrees out of line.

hope this helps mate.

I know where you're coming from there Brad however, in my particular case the pedal travel is very short from top to floor - just hoping that by simply adjusting the nut (as in the pic) the pedal height can be increased which hopefully will mean more travel thus the bite will be just that bit higher (away from the floor)... just an extra inch would do... hmmmm the wife's always saying that to me!! :crybaby:

Rolf

I know where you're coming from there Brad however, in my particular case the pedal travel is very short from top to floor - just hoping that by simply adjusting the nut (as in the pic) the pedal height can be increased which hopefully will mean more travel thus the bite will be just that bit higher (away from the floor)... just an extra inch would do... hmmmm the wife's always saying that to me!! :crybaby:

Rolf

ahhh in that case its probably the 'push rod play and free play adjust point' as on the diagram. that has been set too short, either that or some fool adjusted the pedal height too low which should mean once its realeased the pedal should raise up, possibly with the aid of a few good pumps on the pedal, which should lift the biting point up.

good luck and let us know if you fix it as my clutch is a little lower then i would idealy like.

Cheers Brad =)

Looks like you hit the nail on the head there Brad... i originally thought just by adjusting the pedal height would be sufficient... it was only when you stated adjusting the pushrod that the penny dropped !! Can't wait to get home now and give the wife that extra inch! :yahoo: Although it's a bit nippy outside..... might leave it 'til weekend.. will deffo post the results...

Thanks again.. !

Rolf

• 2 weeks later...

as toyota fit master cylinder, they have not adjusted it properly, take it back

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links