Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T3-x Trip 'puter...

tonycommander

Okay - only had it a couple of days (1.8 Nov '03 Tourer) but am confused by the trip computer readings....

Filled it up to the brim Weds - giving 13 gallons in tank.

Been to work and back Thurs, and then back to work today ( 45 miles per trip, all 65-70mph motorway for 90% of the time).

So, 135 miles travelled, Average MPG shows 42.2 Mpg, which does not seem too unbelievable.

Range shows 255 miles. - Which seems way wrong...

started with 13 gallons, gone 145 @ 42 = 3.5 gallons used... Therefore should have 9.5 left in the tank.

9.5 * 42 = 399 miles range.

Anyone got any ideas, as to which I should believe....

(PS.. actual fuel gauge shows that I have not used 1/4 of tank yet)

trip computer is not that accurate, usually is over optimistic for me by about 2.5-3.5 MPG

The petrol gauge was misleading me at first, me thinking the segments on the dial were quarters, when they are in fact some other division :wacko:

Ahhh, silly me thinking that something marked with 4 bold lines would be quarter, half and 3/4 full....

I suspect that I can only go on mileage recorded and petrol put in as an accurate guide...

Ahhh, silly me thinking that something marked with 4 bold lines would be quarter, half and 3/4 full....

I suspect that I can only go on mileage recorded and petrol put in as an accurate guide...

It's very odd why Toyota choose to use those four marks not as 1/4 divisions like probably every other car company in the World, but as 3/16 th, 5/16 th, 5/16 th and the last 3/16 th of a tank respectively :wacko:

E | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | F

> 3/16 - 5/16 - 5/16 - 3/16

I find the average mpg to be around 2 mpg out. Has for the range when i fill it up it goes to 380 miles everytime but i can get close on to 450 miles out of a tank. When the needel on the fuel guage is on the empty theres still around 7 litres left in the tank.

I've been fiddling with this one for a while - these minor things in life really bug me.

I think the way the computer works out range is that it uses a rolling average of your last couple of fill ups and them simply multiplies this by 10. The 10 comes from the fact that this is the range of the tanks fill that the computer can actually see. Ie, 2 gallons needs to be used before it starts to fall and there is a "spare" 1 gallon at the bottom end, 13-3=10. Hence, if you have averaged about 45mpg for the last couple of tanks, the computer will give you 450miles range when you first fill up. Then as the needle starts to drop it will start to get more generous and you will end up with about 450 +(3 *45) = 585miles if you empty her right down. It all kind of falls apart though as the mpg calculator is slightly optimistic at about 2mpg.

Interestingly the computer average speed calcuation is spot on versus the dash speedo that reads ~ 5 mph too high.

It all kind of falls apart though as the mpg calculator is slightly optimistic at about 2mpg.

Everybody's but mine it seems - it has always been pessimistic by around 2mpg.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links