Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Custom Cold Air Intake

87 GTS

I''ve been looking aorund for some time for a cold air intake for an 87 Celica GTS but i've come to the conclusion they dont make them. I went to the local shop and asked for the last time what to do and he suggested making my own. The guy said to get some connecters, pc pipe and a filter. He said to just bend the pc pipe with a hot air gun and bend it the way i want, and hook the connecters up to my throttle body and the filter to hold it onto the pipe. Now i have many questions, first one is if a heat gun can bend pc pipe then wont the heat from the engine bend the pc pipe when its installed? Second question, it all seems too easy, is this all i need or is it more complicated. Third, i plan on building a heat deflector/filter protector for this, is that a good idea or is it pointless. Fourth question, If i make the pipeing metal, how will i bend this myself, i dont have the tools to bend it unless i go to my school and use the machine there, and still i wont know exactly how to bend it. If anyone knows where some plans are or has an idea for plans and wants to share them, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks for all your help

ive got a uk spec gen4 celica 2.0 gt-i (st162, 3sge engine) and had the same problem, in the end i gave looking and ordered the fipk (K&N 57i kit) for the ST182 celica (2.0 16v 1989-94).

had to do a bit of welding and needed a rectangular metal plate with 4 holes drilled in so it can be bolted to the air flow meter housing.

The metal plate was cut to the diameter of the metal tube supplied by k&n, then welded in place)

the support bracket had to be drilled out to a wider bore to fit to the bottom captive nut that holds the original air box to the body.

i can get hold of the size of the plate if you like and send them on (havent got them at hand)

the part no. for the filter is 57-0124-01

its not easy and im not sure k&n would keep the warranty on the filter, but i doubt it will fail in any case.

hope this helps

Personally i think whoever told you to use a heat gun should have the thing rammed up his butt when its turned on. :lol:

If you have a 3s-ge then you should simply be able to use the induction kits for a st182 or st202. As far as i know they are the same diameter.

www.fensport.co.uk can sort you out with a nice silicon hose to attatch the kit to your engine. They have started to sell it in lengths and they should be able to cut a nice bit for you with a hole in it for the air sensor.

Also because the pipe vibrates under acceleration it makes a nice rumbling noise :D

Personally i would go for a blitz sus for sound, or a HKS Superflow for performance gain.

Get them at the same time and they may cut you a deal?

I remember the fun i had fitting a Blitz SUS to my 98 ST202 (before i sold it), I removed the air box and everthing. Plumbed the induction kit into the existing rubber pipe. Plugged up the vacume pipe with a bolt.

Then used (wait for it :rolleyes: ) the lids of of paint spray cans to block the big holes where the resonator and vacume sensor used to be. I found that attatching the induction kit to the body with the plate and rod wasnt any good so i made a metal braket for it to sit on which meant it could move free and sounded wicked. Everyone thought i had some kinda mental V8 :lol:

gt4, you havent read what i wrote, so, ill try and get it all in one go.

My Celica, a 1989 ST162- one of the last of the gen4's as they evolved into the 5th gen. I searched countries high and low for a K&N air filter (through personal choice, purely because i have confidence in their products).

They (K&N) only supplied bolt on kits for carbed celica (pre 4th gen), and 57i kits for the 5th gen onwards, which as far as im aware (and im open to correction) is the ST182.

I tried and tested methods, and for it to fit properly it meant modifying parts that K&N sent with the package, and flat pieces of metal supplied by "yours truly" (me).

I tried by passing the air flow meter and the she wouldnt run, hence the plate. (which had been cut using the right tools for a flush circle) its a rectangular plate with a hole in the middle.

part of the kn pack inluded a steel tube, which the filter plugs into on one end, and in the case of a ST182, the other half of the tube is attached to the intake hose, which is connected to the intake manifold.- with the ST162 its a different setup (or at least mine is, i also have an 86 ST162, same layout)- which is why i had to sort this out with the bracket/plate and so on...

to this tube (metal joining filter to intake hose) theres a bracket for mounting it to the car body, where one of the original air box retaining screw/bolt is fitted, to not let the filter rattle or roll around loosely in the engine bay.- this had to be drilled out as the hole in the bracket was too small for the orginal bolt that goes there.

so there you have it all, exactly what i had to do to get it to fit. apologies for boring the crap out of you, but at least 87GTS gets to see what i meant lol.

im gonna go now, maybe read a book or something :help:

K well, heres the settup on the 3s-ge, cuz what your explaining i'm a little confused. Intake Manifold-Throttle Body-Rubber Hose-Airbox/Air Flow Meter-Pipe-filter. Now how did you modify that?

basically all i had to modify for the intake part was the connecting tube, which was welded onto the plate for it to sit flush against the AFM, and drilled 4 hole into it so it can be bolted to it (the AFM).

then thats that part sorted, the brackets simple enough since all you need is a bigger drill bit the size of the bolt which originally held the airbox down against the body

maybe i should of said that first time round, but hell, its done now lol

hope the pic helps (it should do lol)

post-37-1060691916.jpg

man thats a nice contraption you got there, looks like it works too. Lol the best part about that is the duct tape, cuz every single old celica i've seen either has duct tape on that hose or is not running. Lol anyways thanks, looks like it should be easy

man thats a nice contraption you got there, looks like it works too. Lol the best part about that is the duct tape, cuz every single old celica i've seen either has duct tape on that hose or is not running. Lol anyways thanks, looks like it should be easy

I used electrical tape on mine. Like half a roll. It looks really good actually... Heh. ('86 GTS 3SGE).

lol, thanks. the duct tape vanished last night, and ive got another pipe on there (at the moment its hole free lol)- though the tape didnt do much in the end as the amount of air pressure pretty much sucked it in lol...oh well.

d00d i have a 4th gen i simply bought a pod filter. took my car to an axhaust shop and said here put it on.. they welded up a bit of 3inch stainless a few mandrel bends ran it down to the front of my gearbox so it has plenty of cold air... thwey plumed evertything in and cost me 150 buks aust... not much really wen it comes up lookin real good and its drive in drive out

d00d i have a 4th gen i simply bought a pod filter. took my car to an axhaust shop and said here put it on.. they welded up a bit of 3inch stainless a few mandrel bends ran it down to the front of my gearbox so it has plenty of cold air... thwey plumed evertything in and cost me 150 buks aust... not much really wen it comes up lookin real good and its drive in drive out

yeah i did have that option, but i prefer to do the work myself, saves money, i learn, and usually im happy at the end of it lol (i just try not to mention the bits in between where i get well :censor: off with it - but again, its experience)