Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suryey: Oxygen Sensor Fault

Cypermethrin

I have had this misfortune of having to have 5 new oxygen sensors in the course of the last 37 months of ownership of a 2003 Avensis 2.0 Tourer.

My local dealer still insists this is not a common problem. However from the comments on this board that is quite clearly inaccurate.

I am growing very tired of Toyota’s lack of interest in this issue and would like to propose collating a detailed list of the same issue encountered by owners on this site.

We can then all use this information to educate our local dealers and provide a formal response to Toyota concerning this issue.

So if you would like to participate feel free to drop me a PM or add your tale of woe to this post and I will be delighted to co-ordinate the response and provide anyone interested with the responses.

So staring with my tale of woe:

Car: ’53 plate Avensis 2.0 Tourer

Current mileage: 27k

Date and details of “faulty sensor”:-

October 2003 Bank 1 Sensor 1

Sept 2004 Bank 1 Sensor 1

October 2004 Bank 2 Sensor 1

October 2005 Bank 2 Sensor 1

March 2006 Bank 1 Sensor 1

December 2006 Being diagnosed tomorrow

Also if you have not encountered this problem on your car then, of course, feel free comment as such.

Thanks for your help :toast:

Tim

Doesn't sound normal to me - so many replaced.

I have read that some fuel additives can poison the sensors (if you use fuel additive - and one wonders if the increased use of additives in fuels at the pumps may contribute? - though presumably the oil companies have done their research to avoid law suits)

http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm

O2 sensors are amazingly rugged considering the operating environment they live in. But O2 sensors do wear out and eventually have to be replaced.

The performance of the O2 sensor tends to diminish with age as contaminants accumulate on the sensor tip and gradually reduce its ability to produce voltage. This kind of deterioration can be caused by a variety of substances that find their way into the exhaust such as lead, silicone, sulfur, oil ash and even some fuel additives. The sensor can also be damaged by environmental factors such as water, splash from road salt, oil and dirt.

I have found comma fuel inj cleaner is very good.

Low sulphur is a big problem in some fuels and this is noted on many cars not just toyotas.

I have found that the MAF can cause problems and the o2 sensors do pick up debris etc.

if you get many o2 sensor problems clean your maf or replace this as well have a look at www.bba-reman.com

Hi Tim, 2001 MR2 - Had 2 oxygen sensors replaced within a couple of days of each other. Got the car back and had a tapping noise coming out the engine. 5 weeks later theyre changing the short block. And awful service too from Jemca Colindale. I'd love to hear from Toyota!

Thanks for the replies so far.

Most recent fault was diagnosed as Bank 1 Sensor 1 which was last replaced in April !

Basically gave the garage loads of grief - they always seems to pay more attention when the service reception area is full of customers waiting !

They have proposed to take the car in for 2 days and clean the injectors and MAF etc and replace the 02 sensor again. Alledgegly they spoke to Toyota GB who proposed this monitoring and cleaning process. Which is the most sense I have had from them so far.

From the experiences provided above I am hopeful that this cleaning will help ! Ever the optimist !

Definitely keep pushing the garage, and the more noise you make in a busy. showroom the better. So far I've had to take it to the branch manager, the Operations Director and the Group Director. Long story but they've lied all the way through and 6 weeks later I still dont have the car back. When I started mentioning solicitors/watchdog etc they immediately offered me 2 years extended warranty foc and £300 cash which set me thinking they must have done something wrong to offer that without any arguing. Anyway its now with my solicitors. My advice - if youre not happy dont get fobbed off, fight all the way.

toyota know about the o2 problems a part changed has a warranty so do not pay again clean the maf havea look on BMW AUDI VW SITES

Hi, I own an X-reg Avensis 1.8 VVT-i. My car also has a problem with an oxygen sensor, apparently. I believe it is Bank 1 Sensor 1 (can't remember the fault code). Trouble is, the car still runs perfectly, nothing seems to be at fault. It seems from other posts that Toyota assume the sensor is faulty because it has reported a fault, not thinking that the fault may be a result of something else wrong in the line (sensor could be reporting wrong fuel mixture), if you see what I mean.

I have bought a tester to see if the sensor is at fault but haven't got around to doing it yet. If it is at fault then I will get a sensor off the net (about £50) and fit it myself, local Toyota garage quoted £183 (just to unscrew and screw in another sensor).

Sorry for the long post by the way.

main problem is the heater element in the sensor which burns out but still works other than cel /eng light on and fault code stored

car will fail mot test if light on !!!!!!

after market sensors do not last as long BUT you can order original spec much cheaper than main agent

BUT clean your maf if power accel and fuel econo all good , must use non residue cleaner not brake or carb cleaner use electrical contact cleaner good luck at 5 plus yrs old defn debris on maf

• 1 month later...

NEW UPDATE

toyota know about these problems in that a software upgrade new ecu and cat !!!! on cars so new and little miles !!!!

another toyota design fault,just like the high engine consumption on some vvti s !!!!!

i have the engine light problem and i am ging through change this then that then this then that !!!!!!

what needs to be done is a new cat ecu and modified software which toyota know about but make more money by changing non faulty parts

COME ON TOYOTA FIX IT AND TELL THE DEALERSHIPS WHAT TO DO.

A FAULT CODE IS NOT A DIAGNOSIS ITS A ERROR CODE ONLY NOT A FIX TO THE PROBLEM DO A GOOGLE SEARCH ON P0420 INTERESTING READ RANT OVER

• 2 weeks later...

up date modified cats !!!!!!

the feedback loop on software canot cope with driving at a steady speed !!!!!!!! come mr toyota you are number one on sales and we expect good customer service.

WE ALL JUDGE A CAR COMPANY BY HOW THEY FIX PROBLEMS.

YOU CLAIM ABOUT THE PROTECTION TO THE ENVIRONMENT YET ??? FAULTY PARTS CHANGED WHEN NOT NEEDED !!!!!

TO ALL WITH A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND NO RUNNING PROBS IT OS A KNOWN FAULT AND A NEW ECU AND SOFTWARE AND NEW CAT AND SENSORS !!!!!!!!! BAD DESIGN FAULT AND MR TOYOTA KNOWS THIS

RANT OVER WILL REPORT BACK WHEN IN FOR REPAIR AGAIN 8 TH TIME

update need new ecu and cat

awaiting toyota uk customer relations input

under 3 yrs old and new cat !!!!!! and toyota advertise aiming for zero emissions !!!!!!

i have been through the change this change that at my expense re engine management light on BUT newver had any drive problems

MR T HAVE ISSUED A 2005 TSB RE THIS SO DO NOT PAY FOR ANY O2 SENSORS UNLESS THE GARAGE IS 100% SURE

CANNOT SAY MUCH MORE DETAILS WITH TRADING STANDARD RE CHANGING NON FAULTY PARTS AND SSMT RE SUBSTANDARD WORK

AND ALL WORK AT A TOYOTA UK DEALERSHIP

WILL POST BACK WHEN FIXED

CAN THE FREELANCE JOURNALIST WHO CONTACTED ME GET BACK IN TOUCH PLEASE

• 5 weeks later...

I've got an 03 Avensis with the engine management light on. Mr T has said it's a faulty oxysensor. Is this likely to be the case or is it more likely to need a new ECU and CAT? If so any idea on how much this will cost?

speak to toyota customer relations sorry complaints dept IF p0340 or 0320 then duff ecu and cat sensors when they go give bad gas and flat spot at about 3ooo rpm !!!

a duff sensor is a sign someting wrong ie too much fuel but east dosh for a 10 mins labour and £200 bill

WHEN DOES THE LIGHT COME ON !!

car will fail mot test if light on !!!!!!

I don't beleive that is true, for i had the MIL light on and had the MOT conducted, did not fail the MOT.

Having aid that, i replaced the sensor and within 3 days another had gone, was give a a ***** and bull story that the loss of one would put strain on the others sensors. I can't see this being true...

have no sold the car and vowed never to buy another toyota.

My steering was becoming heavy, the column was sqauky and repairs jsut postponed the noise. cambelt whilsted and part are very expensive.

Mr Chuds!

• 2 weeks later...

Car went in for MOT today, 23/04/07, and passed with flying colours. :yahoo:

This despite Mr. T saying one of the o2 sensors has packed up! :ffs:

By the way, the car cannot fail the MOT if the engine check light is on (as long as all tests are within given parameters, obviously). As far as I can tell, the only warning light that would cause an MOT failure is the ABS light.

Just thought I would chuck that in the pot.

if check engine light on the cat sometimes may not be up to sratch and thus it may pass this time .

but the readings are out hence the reason for a modified cat and new software,a cel left will cause more problems some owners have ignored this and had engine failure !!!!!! :eek:

I have seen several cars and some toyotas with more expensive repairs with not fixing the problem.

When a o 2 sensor stops working real rough running happens and at 3000 revs the engine misses.this was reported with the duff petrol from morrisons and tescos!!!!!

leave a cel / mil for long and you will do more damage and if it flashes on and off stop rapid engine is about to go bang. :ffs:

The above happened on a friends company car 2 days before the lease end !!!! :!Removed!:

My Rav4 is going in for an O2 sensor failure in a couple of days. Same 2 litre petrol engine I believe. Seems a cracking money making scam to me. Won't be buying another toyota. Don't seem to be as many failures on the Rav though. Mine has 31k on it.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h37.pdf is a toyota us document worth a read

• 2 months later...

Oxygen Sensors, What a great way of them making alot of money out of these, I have had my third Oxygen Sensor go this year. It has put me right off sticking with my Avensis 2.0, 02 plate.

But what can you do, just keep paying out.

Oxygen Sensors, What a great way of them making alot of money out of these, I have had my third Oxygen Sensor go this year. It has put me right off sticking with my Avensis 2.0, 02 plate.

But what can you do, just keep paying out.

I'm sorry but ive got to say this..... when are you all going to learn? Look at my previous posts on this subject (jed50) get rid of the petrol and get diesel!!! You dont need the acceleration of a Ferrari, and we could all do with the economy! I'll never have another petrol as long as i've got a hole in my ****!!!! Thanks for reading. Jed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links