Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing Central Locking

taximanmeepmeep

Hey all,

I'm a total n00b,so be easy on me :P !

I've got a 3door Yaris phase1, 51 plate, and I'm wondering if its possible to install central locking the the 2 doors and the boot? Or better still...REMOTE central locking! :drool:

Can it be done easily, and what pieces of kit would I need to buy(links appreciated) before taking it to an engineer?

Thanks in advance.

It is possible but i don't know how easy? I know you can get those cheapish kits off eBay that are universal and can be remote central locking if you buy that kit. Don't really know how hard they are to fit but would imagine it isn't THAT simple if you aren't quite confident with taken the car apart.

Thats fine, I was thinking of buying one of those kits and taking the car to an engineer. I don't mind doing that as long as when I get the car back, the job will be done, and there'll be no noticable marks on the panels or whatnot.

Also, if anyone has done this before, then links to suitable products would be nice too.

• 1 year later...

Yep it is possible, as I did this to my Yaris "S" which came with hardly any toys at all as standard (but i`m a Toyota Tec :rolleyes: ). What I would advise is, if you aint a competent car sparky, is to have an alarm and door motors fitted by an alarm installer. That way the door locks will open/lock on arming/dis-arming the alarm. The cost of an intergrated alarm/door actuator is not much more than the "stand alone" remote kits found on E-Bay.

If you do decide to go it alone, the job does involve running wires down the rubber tubes in the door jambs (to keep it tidy), and running a feed to the boot motor, under the inner sill covers, from wherever the alarm new ECU is sited. And finding suitable mounting points in the doors and boot for the motor/actuators where they dont foul the window operation!

Yeah pay for a proper install. It will look a lot better when it comes to "sale time" ;)

If the car already has central locking and you loose the central locking key, can one of these kits help instead of buying a replacement key?

Yeah the kit would work but, if the cars already kitted out withe RCL, i`d go for the replacement Toyota key. Its less hastle, and less work & it always looks better at "re-sale" time. But "the choice is yours"

I enquired about a replacement Toyota Key and becuase I don't have the black master key, it's going to be hundreds of pounds as the ECU needs to be reset for the new key. I thought these kits were a cheap alternative - £30 + installation?? I just really want some feedback from anyone who has had any experience using/installing them. Are they the next best thing to a replacement key?

You don`t need a black "master key" .Yeah any new Toyota key will have to be coded in as ive stated in other posts. (i`m a Toyota tec. I do this loads of times every week so I do know what im on about). Ok the stand alone kits are £30 but whos gonna fit it cos that is where the cost will come in, unless, of course, you know your wires and can do it yourself. In which case I`d say go for it!

To fit the stand alone £30 kit you still have to fit at least 1 door lock motor to your drivers door (that motor comes with the kit).You then have to feed cables from that door lock motor through the door jamb to your kits reciver, then you have to wire up the reciver. If operating your drivers door lock manualy with your key does not operate all the other locks on the car at the moment, you will also have to fit door lock motors to all the other doors too. And wire them all to the reciver in a simular manner as the drivers door. If you can`t do this yourself, paying for all this work to be done is where all the cost is going to come in.