Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question For Anyone Who Works For A Toyota Dealer

Roytoner

As it is Christine as to sit right up on the streeing wheel while driving, (Joys of having short legs) :D

and I want to take the air bag of as I don't think its safe her being so close to it.

Can any kind soul tell me how or if I can remove it ,or if the main agents will do it.

someone at work said they will not.

THANX for all & any help here!!

Paul.

I didn't think an airbag check was part of the MOT???

Just checked and if fitted it must work.

SO if you remove it and remove the light you should be OK???

Don't think the airbag is part of the MOT.

I doupt that the dealer's would be to quick to disable the airbag.

I agree with Giddlepin, I'd rather a bruise off an airbag, than a shatteret torso after smashing into the stearing wheel.

Saw a film at work and it said that the plastic covering the airbag on the s/wheel will do more damage

to you then the s/wheel if you are to close to it, as there is less time with you moving towards the wheel on impact. :eek:

Pfftt , airbags .. i crashed my Lude head on into a lampost and the airbag seemed to have a delayed reaction , i bounced off the steering wheel was thrown onto the passengers seat (no seatbelt , clever i know , young n stupid) then the airbag went off :D

I know what you mean though Roytoner , i've heard the airbag can do a lot of damage to you .

Pfftt , airbags .. i crashed my Lude head on into a lampost and the airbag seemed to have a delayed reaction , i bounced off the steering wheel was thrown onto the passengers seat (no seatbelt , clever i know , young n stupid) then the airbag went off :D

I know what you mean though Roytoner , i've heard the airbag can do a lot of damage to you .

Not sure if the seat belt has to be connected to activate an airbag, that's why passenger ones don't go off if the belt isn't used, yours might have activated due to an electrical short after impact ;)

Our seatbelts don't have any wires on them, had the seats out the other day to put a amp in.

Mine and the Celica have botty sensors as well as the seat belt circuit ;)

Not sure if the seat belt has to be connected to activate an airbag, that's why passenger ones don't go off if the belt isn't used, yours might have activated due to an electrical short after impact ;)

ahh didnt realise that , thanks - i'll drop my lawsuit against Honda then :lol:

:thumbsup:

hey Paul,

rather than removing the airbag it will be easier fo r you to just get an aftermarket steering wheel on the car -

I currently have a MOMO steering wheel on my REV5 MR2 - No airbag lights on or anything..!

Rash. :thumbsup:

mmr2067pm4.jpg

Airbags detonate with more than 1200 lbs of force at speeds that can exceed 230 mph
Occupants who are positioned too close to an air bag when it begins to deploy are at risk of serious injury. The driver's side airbag module is located within the center of the vehicle's steering wheel and may be covered by a variety of materials, including thermoplastic, rigid urethane foam covered with polyvinyl or rigid metal plates covered with foam and vinyl.
A vehicle operator should be aware that although airbags can significantly reduce the severity of injuries sustained in frontal collisions, the module cover has the potential to inflict serious, even fatal injuries.
Case Reports

Case 1. A 25 year old woman, 5 feet and 3 inches tall and 115 pounds, was the driver of a 1991 Ford Taurus when the vehicle left the roadway and traveled down the highway median until it struck the leading edge of a concrete barrier in a head-on collision. The woman was wearing the lap-shoulder belt. She gripped the steering wheel in a bracing maneuver which resulted in the placement of her thumb over the right edge of the airbag module cover. Along with scratches and bruises to her chest and arms she sustained a 75% tearing away of her thumb at the MCP joint. Her thumb remained connected to her hand only by a small piece of connective tissue. The car sustained moderate front-end damage.

Case 2. A 52 year old woman, 5 feet 1 inch tall and 125 pounds, was the operator of a 1990 Ford Taurus that was attempting to make a left turn when it was struck by an on-coming vehicle. The speed was 5 mph. The driver was wearing a lap-shoulder seat belt. Her right forearm was across the airbag module cover as she was turning the steering wheel when the airbag deployed. She sustained multiple fractures of the upper arm including severely pulverized fractures of both upper arm bones, dislocation of elbow, and fracture of upper arm bone connected to the shoulder. Damage to the front bumper was minor.

Case 3. A 35 year old woman, 5 feet 2 inches tall and 110 pounds, was the driver of a 1991 Ford Taurus when the vehicle=s front bumper grazed a guard rail for about 24 feet. She was wearing the lap-shoulder belt. When the vehicle came to rest, her husband who had been asleep, restrained in the front seat, got out and came around to the driver=s side. He found his wife unconscious, her seat belt on, with blood coming from her nose and left ear. As she was being transported to the local hospital by a passing motorist, the unconscious woman suffered respiratory arrest. A CT scan at the hospital revealed the presence of bleeding and severe swelling of the brain inside the skull. She was pronounced brain dead. Abnormally low blood pressure led to cardiac arrest. She had extensive bruises and scratches over the left side of her face. There were 5 other occupants in the car, 3 suffered no injuries, one suffered a nose bleed and the other a small cut. A tear on the lower portion of the module cover from contact with her face was found. The only damage to the car was to the front bumper from sliding along the guard rail.

When a body region is in direct contact with the airbag module at the moment of deployment, the amount of concentrated force is more than six times the established human tolerance level. The numbers of serious and fatal injuries in humans in real-world accidents from airbags, such as cardiac rupture, cardiac perforations, the tearing off of fingers and thumbs, bleeding inside the skull, eye trauma, and fractures of the upper arms, are increasing.

The injuries reported in the cases examined in this article all resulted from contact with the deploying airbag module cover. Each woman was wearing a seatbelt and was a height of 5 feet 3 inches or less. Their height necessitated advancing the driver's seat to the full forward position, placing them at a disadvantage in regard to their proximity to the airbag module.

If injuries associated with the module cover are to be prevented then anatomic structures must not be in proximity to the cover at the time of deployment. This may not be possible if the driver's height necessitates a full forward position of the seat, or when his or her hands are touching the module such as when honking the horn or setting the cruise control. Forearms may be in front of the module cover while turning the steering wheel. These three cases vividly demonstrate that the airbag has the potential for serious or fatal injuries when the driver is too close, and that the potential for injury is increased when occupants of short stature operate airbag equipped vehicles.

Considering the options - as a short person myself - id much rather not have an airbag thanks :o , paul i think you are right to be worried about christines safety , take it out or as rash said replace the steering wheel -( a lot easier i would have thought) - but obviously be careful when removing the old one :thumbsup:

Tegan thats the plan now :thumbsup:

going to find out how it comes of knew we would lose the s/wheel, Rash will see you about the wheel :D

got to go back to Oldham for the rest of our works do :rolleyes: (hope this is readable can't see alot at the mo) :unsure:

Just my tuppence.... I'm short, I've also had the unfortunate experience of being in my car and the airbag having to go off because of some ***** on the wrong side of the road... :rolleyes:

My point is, I walked away without a scratch. Yes I have other issues, but I'd have more problems if I hadnt had an airbag... in fact I'd probably be less attractive than I currently am.... :lol: Due to me sitting very upright in my seat (probably similar to Christine) I probably would have smashed my face and neck into the steering wheel - the airbag stopped that happening.

Airbag did me no damage - it saved my life - along with my seatbelt naturally. I would not drive in a car without either now. :thumbsup:

Just my tuppence.... I'm short, I've also had the unfortunate experience of being in my car and the airbag having to go off because of some ***** on the wrong side of the road... :rolleyes:

My point is, I walked away without a scratch. Yes I have other issues, but I'd have more problems if I hadnt had an airbag... in fact I'd probably be less attractive than I currently am.... :lol: Due to me sitting very upright in my seat (probably similar to Christine) I probably would have smashed my face and neck into the steering wheel - the airbag stopped that happening.

Airbag did me no damage - it saved my life - along with my seatbelt naturally. I would not drive in a car without either now. :thumbsup:

I dont think its to do with sitting upright - as when you are sitting upright your seat belt would pin you before you got to the steering wheel in a minor collision,

but its for those of us that have to sit really close to the wheel as otherwise we cant reach the pedals- obviously its different for different cars - and i did notice that in all the exampes i gave above that the car was a ford taurus - so they must obviously have some problems with their airbags.

I think you do have to be aware of the pros and cons of all safety devices - as seatbelts also have their downfalls but i would never not wear mine because of that, but for some of the pictures ive seen of injuries from airbags - i think i would rather take my chance without one, there are some very grusome injuries indeed its all about balance - it can potentially save your life or kill you aswell - its not worth that risk for me tbh.