Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is The "-four" Part Really Worth It?

edamduke

Ok, I may be thinking a bit too much about this and looking at it too analytically rather than from experience but basically I am looking at GT-Fours and doing some sums to see if it is really worth it.

Now, it is fair to say that very approximate transmission losses are 10-15%, 15-20% and 20-25% for FWD, RWD and 4WD respectively. This can be confirmed to a certain degree with RRs of TOC cars such as Jones' 60hp tranny loss etc.

So, comparing a <'95 UK GT to a UK GT-Four the numbers could be...

GT: 173bhp (-10% lets say) 155.7hp (1220kg) 127.6 hp/tonne

GT-Four: 239bhp (-20% ish) 191.2hp (1440kg) 132.8 hp/tonne

Obviously there is variation in these figures depending on the car but they are very close to one another and it makes me wonder how much better Fours are. Now, I would never try to say that GT4's arn't good or that they are comparable to GTs. The 0-60s, 1/4 miles prove it as fact!

I think I'm just looking for reassurance that the extra £565.60 a year that I would be spending on running costs are worth it.

Someone please say it is due to low end torque or something and that Fours kick :censor:. Maybe a few of you that have owned both could give an honest opinion.

Ben

lets put it this way, i had a 99 GT. i then bought a gt4 that was running rich and only producing 234bhp.... and the difference between the 2 cars was incredible!!!!!! there was a BIG smile on my face from that feeling you can only get from a turbo pulling you :D

just try a gt4 and i guarantee you will go on to buy one, there really is that much of a difference

obviously mine isnt the best to go in for a test drive but if you ever want to come over to go for a drive you are welcome to. i did this for jones~32 and look what happened to him :lol:

well, i have a GT and a friend of mine has a Four. It IS quite a bit quicker, but i think the thing about the 4 is the potential it has to be made VERY quick, whereas the GT is pretty much as fast as it will go from stock.

I love my GT, i know it's never gonna be that quick, but for what i do with it, it's fine. I'd love a 4 but i personally don't think for me it would be worth the extra costs.

If you can afford it, and can afford to spend a bit upgrading it, then go for it. I probably would :lol:

Stuff the 4 get a supra :D real men go RWD TT :D

Nah but seriously after being in a gt4 a few times the difference is incredible.

Ok, I may be thinking a bit too much about this and looking at it too analytically...

<snip>

I think I'm just looking for reassurance that the extra £565.60 a year that I would be spending on running costs are worth it.

:lol::lol::lol:

I think that says it all, really... Sod it, its only money, just buy one! :D

Stuff the 4 get a supra :D real men go RWD TT :D

Indeed they do ;)

Also the diffrence between a GT and a GT4 is along the same lines as a BMW 330 and an M3.

Ha ha, thanks all, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. The money really isn't a problem since I got an insurance quote of Fizz's GT4. I was looking at mk IV Supras but love the Celi too much and really want 4WD and huge holes in the bonnet.

Trouble is trying to find one that isn't a duff and fits my very strict criteria. If I'm sensible I will also wait 1 year as I'll be moving 3times!

If i was you i would go for a very very very very late st205 if thats what your after. They sold them in japan until 1999.

I was looking for a newer car, '99 sounds appealing, I've never seen any about. I think I will go for it at some point but with moving every 3 months I really should wait. Is it easy enough to fit an atmospheric BOV on a non WRC?

Darn these Celica things, they are too addictive and I can't think of anything else! :unsure:

Is it easy enough to fit an atmospheric BOV on a non WRC?

Fitment is the same regardless of being a wrc or not :thumbsup:

and there's nothing quite like the first time you boot it and listen to the intake sucking in small children and the dump valve scaring pensioners in the street... well worth a visit to the petrol station a bit more frequently

You fool.... :lol:

The same is said of the NA MR2 owners saying.. "There cant be that much diference between the NA and the Turbo can they"

Then you take them for a spin and their eyes light up and pants also fill up at the same time! :lol:

You fool.... :lol:

The same is said of the NA MR2 owners saying.. "There cant be that much diference between the NA and the Turbo can they"

Then you take them for a spin and their eyes light up and pants also fill up at the same time! :lol:

YEAH BABY!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Once upon a time there lived a man who wanted to know about the underated and misunderstood GT4.

He took a GT4 running average boost to a B road for a thrashing. He rode it hard. He then tried to do the same in a FWD celica. He found NO comparison. He realised GT4's were not designed as straight line machines, they are rally cars. He realised that given a proper car, his driving skills became immeasurable next to the average joe in a fwd 'looks sporty' car.

He lived happily ever after.

End of story.

Ohh ohh your only in Bristol.

What you up to either Wednesday or Friday evening this week, I'll take you for a spin... :D :thumbsup:

What you up to either Wednesday or Friday evening this week, I'll take you for a spin... :D :thumbsup:

Dont forget to put covers on your seats :o just incase he gets over excited and has an accident :eek:

Dont forget to put covers on your seats :o just incase he gets over excited and has an accident :eek:

Thats even before he sets off... :!Removed!: :lol:

:D :P

:o Shocking.....

But true :D :yahoo:

Ohhhh, Stop it, I want one I want one. I promised myself I will wait a year and then concentrate on getting the perfect one, that way I will appreciate it a whole lot more, plus be able to spend a little more money.

Sketchy: Sounds like a plan. I'm off back to Kent for Christmas on Thursday but if the offers still on in the new year, I'd love a trip down to Wilts. to see a man about a car :thumbsup:

Once upon a time there lived a man who wanted to know about the underated and misunderstood GT4.

He took a GT4 running average boost to a B road for a thrashing. He rode it hard. He then tried to do the same in a FWD celica. He found NO comparison. He realised GT4's were not designed as straight line machines, they are rally cars. He realised that given a proper car, his driving skills became immeasurable next to the average joe in a fwd 'looks sporty' car.

He lived happily ever after.

End of story.

he cant have lived happily ever after as it seems in that story he was driving a 185 :yawn:

:lol: no wonder it was slow in a straight line. jump in a st205 and its a whole new story :thumbsup:

Ohhhh, Stop it, I want one I want one. I promised myself I will wait a year and then concentrate on getting the perfect one, that way I will appreciate it a whole lot more, plus be able to spend a little more money.

Sketchy: Sounds like a plan. I'm off back to Kent for Christmas on Thursday but if the offers still on in the new year, I'd love a trip down to Wilts. to see a man about a car :thumbsup:

No problem man, drop me a PM when you fancy coming over :thumbsup: If your lucky I might even have got round to cleaning it again by then as well :D