Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Your Comments Required Please

charles-k

my local dealer insists that this is an exact colour match between my rear bumper and the rest of the body.

I would appreciate your comments

Please click on the picture below to view the rest of the pictures on webshots

2279582250033678785KtVOps_th.jpg

my local dealer insists that this is an exact colour match between my rear bumper and the rest of the body.

what the colour code mate? i'm a sprayer, i'll check how many shades there are.

hmmm hard to tell , looks way off in one pics but the rest look not bad ?

does look slightly different. My mum had a silver car and had to have a wing sprayed, it never matched in either , the spray shop said its the most difficult colour to match. also he said the original colour on your car fades with the light, sun ect..although her car was only a couple of years old.You will have to go back to the garage if your not happy they will tell you anything so they dont have to spray it again.

2nd photo is slightly clearer, bumper does look lighter. Go back and stir em up!

what the colour code mate? i'm a sprayer, i'll check how many shades there are.

Sorry i don't know where to find the code

The paint code will be on the VIN plate (on the passenger side B pillar), but if the car's silver, the code will be 1C0.

I don't know if this will help but my father had a similar experience with his silver VW Golf.

When he had a bumper resprayed it didn't match, but the garage was adamant that it was using

the correct colour. They attempted a respray with a slightly different shade and got it so close

that it was hard to tell. The final explanation, which sounds a little odd, was that it was because

the same paint sprayed onto bodywork ends up a slightly different shade when sprayed onto a

bumper.

:huh: Do they need to use a different shade when spraying onto different materials?

Maybe they were just trying to fob my old man off?

does look like a different colour, but on plastic panels it will be slightly different anyways, but not like what you've got, they possibly got the right colour, but not the exact shade of paint.

To add my input, I've had silver cars since 1993.

Silver Audi 90, had it's roof resprayed by the previous owner, can't tell the difference.

When the car was hit by my next door neighbour, the new side panel looked exactly the same.

(though I suspect they blend it a bit)

Mum's BMW had it's skirts and bumpers sprayed up silver a colour co-ordination thing by the dealer (those parts were simply dark grey plastic colour from the factory) can't tell the difference either.

Then later in it's life one of the side skirts got scraped, that was repaired and the colour match is perfect.

Silver VW Polo's paint started flaking off the plastic bumper (production issue). VW dealer's bodyshop resprayed the bumper under warranty, can't tell the difference either.

Bought an approved used Silver Mercedes Benz which had been keyed down the flank, dealer resprayed it,

in this case there was a perceivable difference on the wheel arch Vs door area, left it at that as it was only at certain angles. Then when it was 4.5 years old it, the rust was so bad, it had 4 new doors, two new front wings and rusting rear wheel arches repaired and resprayed under warranty. The new panels and repairs were perfectly matched, couldn't tell the difference. (different Mercedes bodyshop).

Then the rear wheel arch started rusting again, so the same bodyshop repaired it, and it was slightly off, not as bad as your example though. Then the boot started rusting at 6 years old and that was repaired under warranty and that was perfectly matched.

Ultimately I think it depends on the skill of the paint sprayer and their equipment.

Touch wood my Silver Avensis is still original factory paint.

Next car... I'd quite like a new shape Audi TT (silver of course :-P)

The paint has to be sprayed on the same substrate colour, if the primer on the metal is e.g. grey, and the primer on the plastic is e.g. white, then even if you use the same silver it may not match due to paint batch variances. Although I am not a professional body shop person, I believe the distance of the nozzle, 'aperture' of the nozzle, air pressure and environmental temperature also affects the colour.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links