Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Post Office Problems?

Jimlad

Have any of you folks experienced any post offic issues this christmas??

I'm personally still waiting on something which was posted out on the 7th Dec and the woman is waiting on 8 things she has ordered online.

Thing is I ordered about 7 things on the same day, all posted the same time, but they came over the space of about a week, at least!

My problem is the company (play) doesn't investigate anything until 14days after postage, and that's the 21st! A bit late for christmas then isn't it??

The woman is getting a little stressed!! She's not received anything yet!

Nope no problems...posted something out yesterday for eBay. The guy just recieved it a few minutes ago. Maybe an issue with Play rather thn the post office?

:lol::lol::lol: Yesterday I was talking to a customer at work, that needed a part for a machine that we service, He asked me if I was certain that he would have the part tomorrow lunchtime ... I said "yes, definitely, as long as the royal mail do their bit on time...."

Dead silence...

I looked at the company detailsa little closer.... yes it was the royal mail I was speaking too :lol::lol:

The best bit it, its still not actually arrived :!Removed!:

A watch that I'd ordered from the USA has got to me quicker than something which was posted to me 1st class. I'd say the post at the moment is dodgy to say the least. I have also had Christmas cards send 2nd class arriving the next day, whereas the 1st class ones posted at the same time took a few days to arrive. :wacko:

I said "yes, definitely, as long as the royal mail do their bit on time...."

Dead silence...

I looked at the company detailsa little closer.... yes it was the royal mail I was speaking too :lol::lol:

Gonna go on one here :lol:

:blink: Its christmas, theyre over worked, underpaid and understaffed and to make matters worse they keep getting cut backs!

My dad does enough hours a week making sure people get their letters and parcels!! :ffs:

He went to work at 4.30am when i took him, i wont pick him up till 6.10pm tonight, he gets 30mins dinner and works this shift monday to friday! Monday is his day off....

Saturday he is there from 4am till 1pm!

sorry they cant seem to do anything right for anyone :bye:

I said "yes, definitely, as long as the royal mail do their bit on time...."

Dead silence...

Gonna go on one here :lol:

:blink: Its christmas, theyre over worked, underpaid and understaffed and to make matters worse they keep getting cut backs!

My dad does enough hours a week making sure people get their letters and parcels!! :ffs:

He went to work at 4.30am when i took him, i wont pick him up till 6.10pm tonight, he gets 30mins dinner and works this shift monday to friday! Monday is his day off....

Saturday he is there from 4am till 1pm!

sorry they cant seem to do anything right for anyone :bye:

I have to say for once i actually agree - its an immense job to get the mail sorted for christmas, i wouldnt even know where to start tbh

My panic has slightly subsided - as i literally just received one item from play.com ten minutes ago, so im confident that the rest will get here

and people be nice to your posties - they do have a hard job, and i find most of them extremely nice, it is christmas show a little love :D

and people be nice to your posties - they do have a hard job, and i find most of them extremely nice, it is christmas show a little love :D

Dad said a bacon sarnie goes down a treat aswell :lol:

Firstly the Post Office do not deliver your parcels, it is Royal Mail that are extremely busy delivering during this period.

Anything posted before the last posting dates should get delivered on time and I know in my office that everything is cleared at any expense.

Play.com operate from a channel island to dodge tax and so their items take a little longer. I too have had items sent on the same day arrive over a couple of days but if you want something delivered by a certain date and securely you should use special delivery during Christmas pressure.

Posties try their best to treat their customers as best they can but in the eyes of the businness they are not the customers. The customers they try to look after are the big banks andcompanies like Amazon who send their mail through Royal Mail and therefore spend the money.

Personally I think that 32p (soon to be 34) is an extremely good price to pay to send a card at 7pm from London to Northern Ireland the following morning.

Luckily my customers seem pleased with Royal Mail this year or maybe it's my shorts! :thumbsup:

I hope your stuff arrives soon.

Lol that is the worst thing to smell when your out delivering and can't have any!

Lol that is the worst thing to smell when your out delivering and can't have any!

i suppose!

Some nice old ladies give christmas cards with money, cups of coffee each morning etc, sometimes those make the bad customers disappear in your memory! :thumbsup:

At the end of the day, when people pay for a service, they expect to get it, especially when they have paid extra for special delivery!!!

I think the problem does not lie with the posties thenselves, they do the same routes every day, so its not as if they choose not to deliver, I think its more to do with the sorters etc... The guy I was taling to was one of the muppets in the office :D

A lot of the time the Royal Mail is used as the scapegoat - dont they say that 97% of first class mail is delivered next working day, or something like that - but at work we sent out over 4500 letters to customers recently and I've lost count of how many times our customer service girls report that people say they havent recieved the letter! Sadly, for all of the Royal Mails good points, it does lack in some areas but to be honest I dont fully believe 20% of our letters have been lost by the Royal Mail!

Although, I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with the local village Post Office today, when I had to send a parcel to Wales. This tiny little post office, probably less than 2 metres squared (seriously, its tiny!) is the only shop in the village and yet gave me the same service as a bigger Post Office, in many ways much better, the lady in there is lovely.

I fear though that this one will be one of the ones they will certainly close next year, which is really sad. :( More job losses.

There's no excuse at the end of the day, regardless of whos fault it is or isn't.

Like was said... when you pay for a service, you expect to get it.

Well surely you want to determine whos fault it is?

Your best off complaining to Play.com because you are their customer and they may complain to Royal Mail.

as far as christmas delivery goes then it is impossible to state when things are going to arrive as royal mail handle so many more items than the rest of the year. Things such as dvds, which are obvious as to what they are, are unfortunately the items that would be more likely to be stolen by casual workers. I have worked for RM for over 4.5 years and I travel to loads of different offices within the south west and know loads of postmen and women. i can honestly say that i cannot think of 1 person who would open your mail to see what is inside. We handle so many thousands of items each week personally that we become oblivious to them. I could easily have stolen thousands of pounds worth of goods during my time as could many others. it is always the postmen who get the stick for missing items but when it does happen it is usually in the mail centres. the percentage of mail that goes missing is about 0.006 percent - why isn't my shift key working :ffs: normally we handle 85 million items a day, more at christmas, so this percent does equate to a few thousand items. however this percentage for any company is a blooming good one. there is not a mail operator out there who could beat this i don't think without putting prices up by horendous proportions. as already stated, 32p to get 98 percent of your letters to pretty much anywhere in uk the next day is a great deal. for packets and parcels people moan when they are late or sometimes don't turn up, so why not pay the small amount extra for recorded or special delivery. an even tinier percent of these don't turn up.

i am a reserve and cover full time for people who are off sick or on holiday. during the xmas period we usually get put in the mail centre to sort mail as nobody is allowed to take holiday. today i personally sorted 1000s of letters and packets and the amount of items which were very badly addressed is astounding. a high percentage of mail which 'goes missing' has inelligable or insufficient adresses. companies send out mail all the time with wrong postcodes, towns on them or no postcode or town or name . i have been searching a book of postcodes all day to make sure they end up going to the corect office as the sender has not put a town on the item. if the item hasn't a postcode but just a city, town or village i have to know or ask or look-up which mail centre it is to be sent to. we really try hard but some items are just impossible to deliver because of the address being so vague and this is all throughout the year. these items get returned to sender if there is a return address on it and if there isn't it gets sent to a sensitive waste unit to be opened to try and find the sender. it is destroyed if it can't be delivered or returned to sender. this happens all the time and can account for a lot of mail which 'goes missing'. some companies wont tell you or even know that they insufficiently addressed items. unfortunately the sorting machines occasionally 'eat' a letter or 2 aswell.....

generally posties are a great bunch, we do care about your mail. we do think of you as our customers and always strive to get your letters and parcels to you on time but we are at the mercy of the mail centres. if we are not given your item then we can't deliver it. if we are given it then they will all arrive. obviously you occasionally hear of a postie who has stolen items and they are almost always banged up for it....our internal police force is very good. there will always be a bad Apple wherever you go. i feel stongly about this and if any other company tries to really take us on then they are welcome. bring it on.... maybe then people will appreciate us more as the grass is not always greener......

***** that was a long post... you can see i really care about this and the service we provide. OH AND DONT GO COOKING BACON SARNIES IN THE MORNINGS.....unless you're going to offer me one which does happen occasionally :) :)

I didn't read all that.... I'm not blaming the posties... just saying that my parcel has went walkies!!... lol.

15million items a year go missing... that's shed loads!!

Out of 85 million items a day.

I have seen myself items addressed "First house on the Right.." Or simply "Mr Smith, 'The big hill', Chorleywood" Despite their being many big hills in Chorleywood one of my colleagues knew which Mr Smith in Chorleywood the addressee meant.

When firms send out mail shot's they also often fill in all the numbers if they know their is a #1 and a #59 in a street when often the numbers in between do not exist, for example have been redeveloped into flats.

15 Million items does sound a lot and any amount of mail going missing is too much but you have to put it in to perspective.

Jim, did you get the e-mail from Play saying your item has been dispatched? It's taking a bit longer these days due to the time of year. :thumbsup:

But if you see an 'evil' postal sorter kick them in the balls cos they dont give a stuff if your things get broken... when i temped doing that I watched in absolute amazement as some sorters used parcels(AT XMAS!!!!) as footballs and heard the smash tinkles of glass things. Also watched them send the parcels where they were going afterwards :yes: and I didnt see anyone berate them.....

I have seen myself items addressed "First house on the Right.." Or simply "Mr Smith, 'The big hill', Chorleywood" Despite their being many big hills in Chorleywood one of my colleagues knew which Mr Smith in Chorleywood the addressee meant.

I thought that items that don't have full addresses tend to get a bit more attention and can arrive quicker than an item with the full postal address. My Dad has just retired from the Royal Mail after nearly 40 years, and he instilled in us that as long as you have the house no./name and postcode that's all you need, although it gives someone a job to find out where it's going.

My Hubby deals on eBay alot, and some things have been delivered the next day this Christmas, others took upto 5, but nothing has gone missing (touch wood) Policies to get your money back on lost or damaged items I think is ridiculous, why do we have to wait 14 days??? And yes, some posties will damage items on purpose, especially if they dislike certain customers.

I'm waiting on something from Play.com that got dispatched 14th, but on a happeir note, my Wii is coming tomorrow just in time for Chrimbo :D !!!

destroyed anything by launching the controller about your house yet?

Best quote I've found from the BBC website....

"My wrist straps are fine. Over the years I've managed to develop an ability to hold onto my controllers for an extended period of time without them flying out of my hand. My grip works well on plates, glasses and various types of fruit as well."

:lol: :D