Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres Losing Pressure?

wilcoxjnr

Hi All,

New to this forum, but the missus has been having problems with her Rav so I thought I'd drop a quick post - I have had a search but can't seem to find a similar problem so wondered if anyone out there had experienced anything similar?

The car in question is an '03 Rav4 3dr NRG with standard Toyota 16" alloys all round with a pair of Bridgestone Dueler's at the front and Toyo Tranpath's at the rear.

We have had the car for about 6 months and throughout that time have experienced loss of pressure from the front tyres, particularly the drivers side. I fill the tyres with air to the reccomended pressure and then within a month they have dropped down - when I took it to the garage this week the front o/s tyre had dropped from 29psi to 16psi in the space of about 4 weeks!

The car has been back to the local main dealer that we bought the car from (Jemca Croydon - who have been excellent thus far), but aside from the usual diagnostics (slow puncture, badly fitted valves, duff seals etc.) they have not been able to find anything wrong with it. The car has just gone back in whilst we can afford to drop back to 1 car over the holidays.

Now in the last 6 months the car has had new tyres fitted, new valves fitted, everything rebalanced and just about all of the other obvious checks done but still no joy? I seem to remember reading somewhere that rust on the inside of the alloys could affect the seal between the tyre and the wheel, but this seems to be clutching at straws somewhat?

Any help or ideas or a nudge in the right direction would be greatfully accepted!

Cheers,

Loz

Hi Loz,

Welcome to the forum :)

I would have thought it sounds likely to be a bad seal between the tyre and the rim - so if it is a bit corroded, then that would affect the seal.

Is the car still under the manufacturers 3 yr warranty, or is it on the dealer warranty? If it is still under the original manufacturers warranty then the wheels are covered and they will probably be able to replace them.

However, the extended warranty does exclude them :( i know this as mine is on extended and they alloys are bubbling (common fault with Toyota's in general not just the RAV) and i have been told that they aren't covered. However, I am considering using the Sales of Goods Act to demand a new set as according to the Act, goods must be FIT FOR THE PURPOSE THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR A REASONABLE PERIOD OF TIME. The period has never been determined by the act, but is generally regarded as being approx 6 years!!!!! So as soon as I have got my facts 1000% correct I will be approaching the warranty company......... :thumbsup:

Cheers for now,

Phil.

Cheers Phil.

Yes, the car is still covered by the main dealer's warranty so I will take the opportunity to suggest a change of wheels and see if that sorts it.

Thanks for your help,

Loz

A leaky seal is the most common form of slow puncture.. if you can't get the wheels replaced there is 3 options available..

1 - Go along to your local tyre fitter and get them checked and re-sealed (there are sealing compounds that can be applied... get them to clean the rims up too)

2. Get the wheels refurbed.

3. Get inner tubes put in them... however this has it's downside, if you pick up a nail the tyre will go flat almost instantly without giving you a "slow puncture").