Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Questions About T-sport Corolla

yellowdragon23

Hi,

I've been looking at the new corolla and I just love it!!!

I dont even own a t-sport I own a pug 306, not even a sport one.

But its just that I was bored one time and I was just thinking about what my next car could be.

I was looking at the honda civic because they got the vtec that kicks in.

I just found out about this forum and the vvt-i is the same as the vtec.

So I was wondering if there were any problems that has arisen while you've owned a cts?

I know toyota are supposed to be reliable, but if you could post anything you've noticed about the car, minor or major problems.

Thanks.

Also whats this TTE I keep hearing about I saw some guy with what I think he said was a TTE bodykit on his car, it looked good.

TTE is that like another division of toyota for modifications?

Well thanks for your time.

Do what I did Test drive both of them.

You wont b sorry if tou buy either but the cts is more refined the ctr

was more of a racing car not many creature comforts air con traction control

vsc.But you will need to lower the cts to haver the most fun with it

hi yellowdragon23

do what phil3345 suggest also read below

cts = looks and inside equitment (and speed if you drive like me and others on here) :thumbsup:

ctr = speed and big head :P

the corolla t sport have a few minor problems which can be fixed not enough for a facelift thats for sure if you gonna get one get one for 1st sep

even tho some people think there is going to be a facelift in 2004 i just know there aint gonna be

ok the truth is i dont like the look of tte bodystyling for the e12 corolla if you do get a corolla t sport need body kit then look at other brand of body stying kit but do go for the tte exhaust :thumbsup:

remember if is speed you want go for the ctr only if you can live with the awfull looking gearing position and the mpv look :P :lol:which the babes just dont like :D

-------------------------------------------

The Civic type R vs Corolla T-sport

-------------------------------------------

The CTR is a "Ready to Race" type car, with no-aircon, all out stiff suspension and LSD. Wieght saving is an important factor with this car, as it is a small performance NA engine.

So it's function before fashion with this car right from the start.

The CTS is a "affordable \ sport \ luxury" type car, (which is were most cars are going) that lets you experince the comfort with the peaky power band. But isn't as finely tuned as a Type R, something you will only notice on a track.

The CTS has the gear box and engine of a race car, but lacks a the chassis to match (but is good for the money). As the cars cabin is more user friendly than the type R.

my 5 cents

I think you should test drive em' both, and thrash away.

VVTL-i makes its power similar to the CTR, but is more advanced in how it achieves its power.

-----------------------------------------------

daniel

I was looking at the honda civic because they got the vtec that kicks in.

I just found out about this forum and the vvt-i is the same as the vtec.

Just some more advice about VTEC and VVTLi

Just becuase VTEC is stamped on the engine cover doesn't mean it packs a furious kick. Honda have been making VTEC motors for some time now, so there are lots of civics and integras sharing different engines. So it's important to note:

** VTEC IS NOT VVTL-i **

Only 'DOHC' (double over head cams) VTEC engines are built for performance, the single ovehead cam engines are puerly designed for economy, there for meaning your car is gutless and slow, but good for the wallet.

If you wish to buy the inexpensive SOHC platform, dont bother doing performance mods to the engine, as you can make twice as much power from a DOHC motor for almost the same money.

The B18C is a fantastic powerplant, hand-built and forged internals give this engine massive tolerance for power over stock. This VTEC mill is known as the 'bullet-proof engine'. 1800cc DOHC with variable valve timing and lift on the exhuast and intake cam. This engine can be found in the famous Integra type R, a chassis that is a good as the engine. 8300rpm redline, 141kw and 196mn of torque with just 1160kg on the scales. A fantastic package for the NA enthusist or insurance concious who want to go fast.

The 2ZZGE is more advanced and is a mass-production motor, which is impressive, it also has variable valve timing with valve lift on the exhaust and intake cams. All alloy block, lighter internals, MMC coated for high compression 11.5.1, 141kw also with 16nm less torque at 180mn. 8350 RPM fuel cut stock, this engine sounds glorious after 4500rpm as induction noise is crisp yet agressive.

Note: It's not the VVT that gives you the rush of horses, it's the L that makes all the difference. L for lift, valve lift.

Newer VTEC motors are more simple, like the new ITR. It has Lift on the intake side only, neglecting valve lift on the exhaust cam. As todays toyota Celica's, Hot corolla's and MR-s' have both cams getting full treatment. Letting the motor breath \ flow more effiently at higher RPM.

Power delivery is similar, VTEC kicks in at 5800RPM and VVTL-i kicks in at 6000RPM. In heavier chassis both these motors need to be worked hard to keep your needle in the power band. But luckily they bothe mate with short throw gear boxes, with double cone syncros form 1-2nd gear changes. The ITR (B18C) has a 5-speed and the CTS (2zzge) has a 6 slotter. Power comes on like a light switch turing on.. as soon as that needle passes its hi-rpm setting it snaps and hammers to the redline instanly, why? If you have an average turbo car for example, it slowly winds up and delivers power by 'building' up flow. These new type NA machines however rev like a normal engine untill.. ooops! intake and exhaust valves have opened up by 50% all of a sudden, lets party.

Thanks for Reading..

------------------------------------------

daniel

even tho some people think there is going to be a facelift in 2004 i just know there aint gonna be

Hi T128

How can you be so sure that there is not gonna be facelift

in cts in 2004? Do you have any info or it is just what you feel.

hi gramacar

just how i feel cos cts not been out that long to have a facelift

if there is gonna be a facelift my money is around summer 2005

hey daniel, great info...learn more and more everyday :)

but yeah today......i couldnt resist it..and tried revving pass 4000rpm...i think i got to 7000 tho...not up to 8000..but yeah....i could feel the LIFT !.......hehhe....its great..:)

so excited.... now i have to wait until after 1000kms....i am half way already..

May be T128, but take into consideration that toyota facelifted the previous

corola in the 3rd year and 2004 is the 3rd year for the current model.

Also there is going to be a lot of competition in 2004 with the new

golf, focus, astra, and leon. So if I were you I would not bet on it.

gramacar you right they did with the 2 previous corolla all i can say is the last 2 models corolla are crap they look awful and the speed sucks too i know is a harsh things to say but is the truth

the e12 model is in a different league to the last 2 model corolla's

toyota have lost the hot hatch reputation cos of the last 2 crappy model now no one even think of toyota corolla as a hot hatch anymore

and lets take the mk2 mr2 for example that is such a well design car i am not a mr2 person myself i think they made 1 facelift and that was like 5 0r 6 years after

from what i can tell on the mr2 facelift differents are the rear lights maybe more i cant tell cos i dont really look at mr2s my judgements are if the car is well design it really dont need a facelift that soon :)

maybe i am talking out of my bum :P

ps: regaring the competition such as golf, focus, astra, and leon lets face it the degsin of the corolla e12 is miles better than the car above being mention and my money still on 2005

hey daniel, great info...learn more and more everyday :)

but yeah today......i couldnt resist it..and tried revving pass 4000rpm...i think i got to 7000 tho...not up to 8000..but yeah....i could feel the LIFT !.......hehhe....its great..:)

so excited.... now i have to wait until after 1000kms....i am half way already..

Read this and understand why you should drive the car HARD from the beginning...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

VTEC IS VVTLI ... The thing is that Honda claims having a vtec in variuos cars but they all dont work the same...

One vtec works like the vvti and the other kind of Vtec works like the VVTLi, the problem is that Honda calls Vtec to those both Technologies....

Wrong Kid, VVTi=Vtec, VVTLi= iVtec

You say VTEC is VVTi ??

Incorrect. VTEC motors that are DOHC can only produce there hi-output by increasing the duration of valve lift on intake and exhuast cams. So it is impossible for a VVTi motor to produce more HP per Litre, as it is less complex than VVTL-i or i-VTEC.

Toyotas VVTL-i system is much like the Honda VTEC DOHC engines and some i-VTEC engines. It's important to note the DOHC is how you reconise a performance based VTEC. Because it allows for low-mid speed tourqe and hi-cam setting for hi-speed.

The ITR 1.8L is a VTEC motor, and makes over 100BHP per Litre. It can't do this with only a VVTi system. Same applies to 2zzge.

Your not correct saying that VVTi is VTEC and VVTL-i is i-VTEC. They all work differently, as i-VTEC motors have Lift, but this doesn't ALWAYS apply to both exhaust and intake sides.

Bobby, I understand your explaination.

---------------------------------------------------

Daniel

i think what Crazy4Cars mean is vvtLi should be compare with Ivtec cos thats what honda calling all there new high output engines such as CTR and the (NEW) ITR these days

oh and i dont think anyone here is saying bobby is wrong or Incorrect

VTEC IS VVTLI ... The thing is that Honda claims having a vtec in variuos cars but they all dont work the same...

One vtec works like the vvti and the other kind of Vtec works like the VVTLi, the problem is that Honda calls Vtec to those both Technologies....

A the guy mentioned the CTR, then the new one doesnt have VTEC, but i-VTEC which is different. Its more intelligent (hence the 'i') and a LOT more advanced than any previous VTEC engine such as in the ITR. This allows for a better spread of torque across a larger power band. 90% torque in the new CTR is available from 3k and increased right up to the rev limit at 8250.

The cam phase in the 02 CTR is at 5900rpm not 5800 as previously mentioned. Its true that it is not as noticeable as in the old ITR and other VTEC engines but thats because the i-VTEC engine has more lower down power so the changeover it far more smoother which is better for everyday driving. You do still feel the kick though.

CTS/CTR both have good engines in my book :)

CTS/CTR both have good engines in my book  :) 

hey JPS3290 i begining to like you ;)

CTS/CTR both have good engines in my book  :) 

hey JPS3290 i begining to like you ;)

lol. Like i said before, ive never said i dont like the CTS ;) People just like different things in cars :P

Also there is going to be a lot of competition in 2004 with the new

golf, focus, astra, and leon. So if I were you I would not bet on it.

competition ... i think is the wrong word our cars will be destroyed by these new cars not even the same league ... the CTS wil be known as a tepid hatch ....

It does look like there will be a new model for next year, whether or not there is a sportivo on launch is another thing though. Below is a link to the 2004 model corolla for America, I know they dont have exactly the same models as here (obviously as they dont have any hatches) but I would assume that if they are releasing a new model there that we would get one too. If this information is incorrect or anyone knows any more of what is going on with the news models please post as I am interested in buying a sportivo but dont have the money at the moment :crybaby:. I am worried that by the time I do though there will be a new model out and no sortivo's to buy.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2004/corolla/

after a long read of the forum i found out apart from the tsport

the rest of the corolla range do have serious problems which i dont understand i do feel bad for these corolla owners

bring a facelift out aint gonna help toyota image they need to rectify the current problems or fault with the current corolla before they make any facelift

i be quite shock if there is a different corolla than the one own right now in 2004 after all the e12 only came out 2002

competition ... i think is the wrong word our cars will be destroyed by these new cars not even the same league ... the CTS wil be known as a tepid hatch ....

have you seen the new focus??? have you seen the new clio ??? have you seen the new astra???? i have

they all look crap i think most manufactures are going for the safety and built qulity not speed how can they get good accelertion after fitting so much equitment on all these new model hatchback cars i think all there gonna do is use the same engine whats aviliable now and put them on there new modles they might try to squeze another few horse out of it and unless these car have turbos far as non turbos goes the cts vvtli and the ctr ivtec will still be good compair with the competitors such as mention above for atleast another 3 years untill they work out how to put lift at high revs on there engines :P :D

remember never compair a non turbo car with a turbo car and if a non turbo car happens to be as quick as a turbo car then that turbo car must be quite crap thats all i have to say :bye:

remember never compair a non turbo car with a turbo car and if a non turbo car happens to be as quick as a turbo car then that turbo car must be quite crap thats all i have to say :bye:

Watch Best motoring VOL.6 and learn how NA cars can beat turbo cars at the same capacity engines on a race track.

NA cars are all about balance and corner speed. Power isn't everything.

------------------------------------

Daniel

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links