Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Malfunction Indicator Lamp Showing On Carina

paulbaker

Hi

I have a Carina E Estate 1.8 P reg (1996) in the UK, it's done 100k miles.

Generally very reliable. In the last few days an orange lamp has appeared on the dashboard - first erratic but now always on.

The lamp is top right in the display and looks a bit like the outline of an engine. The owner's manual description (page 65) reads:

Malfunction Indicator Lamp

This lamp warns that there is a problem somewhere in your engine electrical system.

If it comes on while you are driving, have your vehicle checked/repaired by your Toyota dealer as soon as possible.

I guessed at a problem with the alternator/battery so took some voltage measurements:

Battery voltage with the engine off and ignition off: 12.0V.

Battery voltage whilst engine idling, little load: 13.75V.

Battery voltage whilst engine idling, large load (fan on high, lights + full beam on): 13.5V.

So there appears to be nothing wrong with the alternator/battery.

Can anybody suggest what the warning light means and what I can do to resolve the problem?

Thanks

Paul

This dash light is an indication that all is not well. Follow these instructions to determine the precise nature of the fault. (most probably the oxygen sensor):

http://carina-e.com/main/page.php?17

Thank you for your help Chris and Gazza.

I ran the test and got code 21:

O2 SENSOR

* Wirings and connectors * O2

sensor * Fuel systems (Injector, fuel pump) * Ignition systems

(Spark plugs, ignitor) * Vacuum sensor * ECU (Engine Control Unit)

I have average mechanical knowledge. Is this something that I can likely fix?

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Paul

o2 sensor or lean burn sensor as it is on 1.8's isnt too difficult to fit if it is that because its in the exhaust manifold but the sensor is quite pricey

Be careful that you buy a genuine Toyota part (these are available online from the likes of justllambdas) A Universal oxygen sensor will not work on the Carina E range.

A Breakers yard may be able to supply a used part but again they will not be cheap.

try:

http://www.justlambda.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

If a New sensor is required, your wallet will take a beating, the little buggers cost £250 new, which is the cheapest I've seen. Any other make of car and it would be an easy £50, but not with this. Is definatley worth replacing though if your car is still in good nick.

And as said, Universal ones will not work, as I discovered to my misfortune.

What exactly does this little fella do and what would happen if you dont fix it

Thanks

It monitors the exhaust gasses for oxygen, if the gasses are too high or low in oxygen content the ECU will adjust the fuel mixture, thus promoting fuel and engine effienceny, and limiting harmful exhaust emmisions.

Not fixing it, will cause you to fail an MOT, and it could possibly result in damage to your catalytic converter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Hi Paul,

Did you have to reset EMS?

If so how did you do it?

Andy

Hi, I fitted an Oxygen Sensor myself recently (agree with 5mins) - and it was not necessary to reset the EMS - the light went out once the car had started. If that hadn't worked, I was going to disconnect the negative terminal of the Battery - but it wasnt necessary for me (1.8 GS Carina E).

Hope that helps.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links